• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Protecting my hearing with Noise Cancelling Headphones

Skeleton

Reaction score
Visit site
For years I have been in endless pursuit of ways to attenuating the aggrevating noise of my various motorcycles. I always kept the muffler stock. I have tried tall after-market wind screens. I have invested in $500 to $800 on helmets each. I have a pair of custom molded silicone earplugs. I have even used a foam collar (see thread elsewhere). All those approaches contribute to some degree of noise attenuation, but I have never been satisfied. Until now.

Last week I purchased Bose QC20 noise cancelling earphones. They allow me to listen to music or nothing, while cancelling ambient noise of the engine and air turbulence. Wow!!! Do they ever work well. Riding above 60 kph (where the noise becomes significant) is alas a pleasure. I have mentally relaxed as thee 'torture' of previous noise is finally gone.

I can now leave the volume level on my smartphone music player at modest levels (same as what I use in my living room). Then ride off at highway speeds, even drop the gears and rev the engine to the red-line, and still only hear the ambient sounds around me at a gentle level.

It does block out most (90%) of the ambient sounds. This could include sports car riding up along side of the rider or an emergency vehicle with its sirens. Yesterday while riding, I heard the siren of an ambulence one block away (500 m); it was perceptable enough to catch my attention and motivate me to look around for its origin.

With these earphones, the rider must be vigilant to keep its eyes looking in all directions (mirrors) constantly. However, I have ridden that way for all my years. From previously riding sport bikes (which scream with high rev'ing engines), I was never able to use my hearing to be warned of surrounding activity. I always stayed visually alert to my surroundings.

Last edited:
I would say something like "What's your hearing worth?" BUT, WOW! They're $300!

I will stick with my foam plugs. They would be nice, though.

I use custom made earplugs with speakers built in. Same effect.

Ear Inc is what I use. They're fantastix.

Following are published sound attenuation levels. I have used ALL these products; I would agree with the relative difference of each from one another.

WRONG: (Note to reader: each increment of -3 dB is equal to halving of the perceived sound attenuation.)

CORRECTED: (Note to reader: each increment of -3 dB is equal to halving of the sound pressure, while each -10 dB is equal to halving of the perceived sound level.)

-45 dB = Bose QC200
The Best Noise-Cancelling In-Ear Headphones | The Wirecutter

-33 dB = "Best" foam earplugs
-25 dB = "Good" foam earplugs
-20 dB = "Poor" foam earplugs
Noise Reduction Ratings Explained | Cooper Safety Supply

-30 dB = Custom molded silicone earplugs
Earinc/Insta-Mold - PopStoppers

Readings:
Custom Protect Ear | Why Choose Custom Ear Plugs over Disposable |
dB Blockers |

Last edited:
To achieve the rated db reduction requires proper insertion. Reach over your head with one hand and pull on the top of the earlobe to align the ear canal and insert earplug with the other hand.

Following are published sound attenuation levels. I have used ALL these products; I would agree with the relative difference of each from one another. (Note to reader: each increment of -3 dB is equal to halving of the perceived sound attenuation.)

-45 dB = Bose QC200
The Best Noise-Cancelling In-Ear Headphones | The Wirecutter

-33 dB = "Best" foam earplugs
-25 dB = "Good" foam earplugs
-20 dB = "Poor" foam earplugs
Noise Reduction Ratings Explained | Cooper Safety Supply

-30 dB = Custom molded silicone earplugs
Earinc/Insta-Mold - PopStoppers

Readings:
Custom Protect Ear | Why Choose Custom Ear Plugs over Disposable |
dB Blockers |

It was my understanding that a 3 dB change was the minimum perceptible change, while a perceived halving of the sound level was a 10 dB change. No?

It was my understanding that a 3 dB change was the minimum perceptible change, while a perceived halving of the sound level was a 10 dB change. No?

That is what I've read. 3dB is a doubling (or halving) of 'power,' but since our hearing is logarithmic in its response to sound pressure, 3dB is generally considered the 'minimum perceptible' change. Individuals' perceptions vary, IME.

I've never seen motorcycling noise as a problem, I thought that not being cocooned was what it was all a out?

The noise, the smells, the *elements!

*mostly only sunshine for me if I have a choice. :rolleyes:

That is what I've read. 3dB is a doubling (or halving) of 'power,' but since our hearing is logarithmic in its response to sound pressure, 3dB is generally considered the 'minimum perceptible' change. Individuals' perceptions vary, IME.
This is a topic I am actually qualified to comment on [emoji4]

This statement by MZ5 is the correct one.

This is a good tip, ive never thought about riding with noise cancelling headphones just for removing the noise. 300$ is too much, but i found some cheaper alternatives for 50$ that seem to be as good.

I've never seen motorcycling noise as a problem...

Well there's the problem. I don't "see" motorcycling noise as a problem either, but I do indeed "hear" motorcycle (and other noise) as a problem. I want to keep all my senses working as well as possible/practicable, including my hearing, so I take what reasonable precautions I can.

Charles

I've never seen motorcycling noise as a problem, I thought that not being cocooned was what it was all a out?

The noise, the smells, the *elements!

*mostly only sunshine for me if I have a choice. :rolleyes:
There are several problems with this thought process.

Our hearing is being damaged at sound pressure levels (SPL) that we do not perceive as dangerous. Hearing loss occurs way before noise levels cause any kind of physical discomfort.

Our ears respond differently to different frequencies. Therefore, it is difficult even for a trained professional to tell by ear what the SPL is. I consider myself a trained professional on this topic. I will say that I could usually guess somewhat accurately. Even so, my guesses were frequently way off the actual measurement.

There are no real good studies on noise exposure while motorcycling that we can reference. I say this because there are so many variables that affect our exposure level. Based on the studies I have read, I will say that in most situations the exposure level at higher speeds can easily exceed 100 db. 100 db is high enough to cause damage.

please wear hearing protection.

Point taken MW, thanks for posting.

I reckon it's too late to save my hearing anyway, years of loud music and working in construction have put pay to that.

Hey, maybe that's why biking noise dont bother me? I'm already deaf! ;)

Point taken MW, thanks for posting.

I reckon it's too late to save my hearing anyway, years of loud music and working in construction have put pay to that.

Hey, maybe that's why biking noise dont bother me? I'm already deaf! ;)

Hearing loss is cumulative over time. Don't lose what you have left. Wind noise is main cause on a motorcycle even wearing a helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to chime in and say that the Bose QC20s are really awesome. I had used the QC15s (over the ear) for three years at work and around the city (I was in NYC, quite loud there) and I was always amazed how well they worked. The QC20s are just as good and when I can manage to get my helmet on with earbuds in they're amazing there too!

$300 can be a lot to swallow, but for someone like myself, who uses them every day for 6+ hours, they are totally worth it. Would buy again in a heart beat.

Back