• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Schuberth C5 To Replace An Arai Signet X, Fits a Long Oval Head

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased the Schuberth C5. I'm not trying to open the discussion on how long one should continue wearing a helmet, but the Arai was six years old, the detents stopped holding the visor, and the protective wings that cover the visor mechanism blew off and broke free of their lanyards. Plus, the interior padding needed replacement and that was 2/3 of the price of the Schuberth.

The quality seems excellent, it is relatively light for its category; and though helmets' aesthetics are not very important to me, it is nice looking. I did order the black with HiViz first, but I was uncomfortable with the perceived visibility. I replaced it with the white with orange HiViz and I'm satisfied with the conspicuity. I have a very long oval head and the C5 fits perfectly without any hotspots. The detents are solid, the drop-down visor is smooth and will not it my glasses, and ventilation is generous. The interior padding has a very premium feel to it and the straps are the quick release type. It also comes with a pinlock anti-fog insert installed. If comms are important, it comes prewired to accept a Sena product designed specifically for the helmet, which isn't cheap but is pretty slick. I did order that, and it seems pretty good and is Siri and Google compliant. Nice to have when you want to change navigation waypoints.

I recall @the Ferret mentioning he could not tolerate one iteration of this helmet for more than a few minutes (I think it was that short) which gave me a little concern. For me, it is more comfortable than the Arai. A quick spirited ride this morning proves to me that it is the quietest Helmet I've had. Schuberth publishes 85DB internal noise at speed on a naked bike and I'd guess it is close (though I wear earplugs now...tested without). The helmet is designed to be able to fit any head shape with additional internal padding options, but I did not need any of them.

I test fit it locally then ordered it from Europe. It was $554.00 and $25.00 shipping from FC Moto vs. $869.00 from Revilla.

I purchased the Schuberth C5. I'm not trying to open the discussion on how long one should continue wearing a helmet, but the Arai was six years old, the detents stopped holding the visor, and the protective wings that cover the visor mechanism blew off and broke free of their lanyards. Plus, the interior padding needed replacement and that was 2/3 of the price of the Schuberth.

The quality seems excellent, it is relatively light for its category; and though helmets' aesthetics are not very important to me, it is nice looking. I did order the black with HiViz first, but I was uncomfortable with the perceived visibility. I replaced it with the white with orange HiViz and I'm satisfied with the conspicuity. I have a very long oval head and the C5 fits perfectly without any hotspots. The detents are solid, the drop-down visor is smooth and will not it my glasses, and ventilation is generous. The interior padding has a very premium feel to it and the straps are the quick release type. It also comes with a pinlock anti-fog insert installed. If comms are important, it comes prewired to accept a Sena product designed specifically for the helmet, which isn't cheap but is pretty slick. I did order that, and it seems pretty good and is Siri and Google compliant. Nice to have when you want to change navigation waypoints.

I recall @the Ferret mentioning he could not tolerate one iteration of this helmet for more than a few minutes (I think it was that short) which gave me a little concern. For me, it is more comfortable than the Arai. A quick spirited ride this morning proves to me that it is the quietest Helmet I've had. Schuberth publishes 85DB internal noise at speed on a naked bike and I'd guess it is close (though I wear earplugs now...tested without). The helmet is designed to be able to fit any head shape with additional internal padding options, but I did not need any of them.

I test fit it locally then ordered it from Europe. It was $554.00 and $25.00 shipping from FC Moto vs. $869.00 from Revilla.
At one time I was considering a Schuberth, but did not make a purchase. I noted prices from Europe, in particular I think it was Belgium, were lower than US prices, but there seemed to be differences in the safety rating system, which I didn’t take the time to fully understand. Does your Europe puchased helmet have DOT and Snell ratings?

UK rider here. A C5 made for European markets will be ECE 22.06 approved & unlikely to be badged for the US safety standards. In reality the safety of either market helmet unlikely to differ. Current ECE 22.06 held to be better than Snell, previous ECE 22-05 standard slightly worse than Snell. In my view the main reason for using a locally approved helmet would be Legislation (if any) i.e is it legal to wear a non Snell approved helmet. And insurance settlement - injury payment may be reduced if not wearing a locally approved helmet, even if other driver totally at fault.

Yea, I went to the Iron Pony in Columbus Ohio, a motorcyle accessory super store, which has hundreds of helmets from every manufacturer on display for trying on. The Schuberth (not sure which model) was immediately uncomfortable for me (as were a number of other high end helmets...Bell, Arai, Shoei) particularly in the forehead area. After a minute or two I had to take it off as it hurt my forehead. When I would put on an HJC it was an immediate "Ahhhh this feels great" moment. I will probably be repeating the exercise in the spring as my 2 main helmets were manufactured in 2017 and are due for replacement, even though they are undamaged and still very comfortable. My wife wears an HJC as well.

BTW the C5 is cheaper at Iron Pony than at Revzilla, but way more than you paid from FC Moto

Last edited:
UK rider here. A C5 made for European markets will be ECE 22.06 approved & unlikely to be badged for the US safety standards. In reality the safety of either market helmet unlikely to differ. Current ECE 22.06 held to be better than Snell, previous ECE 22-05 standard slightly worse than Snell. In my view the main reason for using a locally approved helmet would be Legislation (if any) i.e is it legal to wear a non Snell approved helmet. And insurance settlement - injury payment may be reduced if not wearing a locally approved helmet, even if other driver totally at fault.

In the USA it would be highly unlikely that shared responsibility for injuries would be tied to donning an ECE P/J helmet versus a DOT helmet when the other driver was at fault. Torts here in the USA make shared responsibility challenging, generally. In most states helmets are not even required, even for a new rider. Wearing a helmet that is not DOT approved here is what is called a non-moving traffic violation and is what is referred to as a "fix-it ticket". If one were to get a ticket for wearing a non-dot approved helmet, all the rider would need to do is show up at a local precinct with a DOT approved helmet, does not even have to be theirs, pay about ten bucks, ticket is off your record.

ECE 22.06 and P/J which indicates it is approved for open face riding. Agree completely with @Ajay750 that the ECE 22.06 is likely as good or better than DOT. There is a lot of data on those measurements. It is pretty clear that both DOT and ECE 22.06 would pass each other's tests.

At one time I was considering a Schuberth, but did not make a purchase. I noted prices from Europe, in particular I think it was Belgium, were lower than US prices, but there seemed to be differences in the safety rating system, which I didn’t take the time to fully understand. Does your Europe puchased helmet have DOT and Snell ratings?
Just remember that the USA DOT spec is quite meaningless in terms of safety protection offered by the helmet but is a necessary process to go through in the USA in order to be marketed here. The Snell and EU approvals are the ones that are worth looking for, not the DOT.

Here is a good article about helmets

the synopsis in the end:

"If a rider chooses any model helmet from a reputable company with any of the current safety standards, they will have made a good safety decision. The important thing is that it fits securely, and then make sure that when it is worn. The retention strap is very snug. If you follow these guidelines, you will do much better than trying to dissect all the technical details of these different motorcycle helmet standards."

Last edited:
Just remember that the USA DOT spec is quite meaningless in terms of safety protection offered by the helmet but is a necessary process to go through in the USA in order to be marketed here. The Snell and EU approvals are the ones that are worth looking for, not the DOT.
If a US state has a helmet law and if any laws specify that said helmet be DOT labeled, is that not important?

not only is it a violation of state law where they mandate a DOT helmet, but it could also adversely affect any insurance claim after a wreck. I too bought a C5 after having had a C3 Pro for almost 7 years. Love the C5 and would buy it again. I did pony up for the US, DOT version instead of saving some on a European, non-DOT version. I honesty don't think there's a wit of difference in safety, but for the small savings over the life of the helmet I'm not gambling on giving the insurance company an easy claim denial in the event I get seriously hurt.

You don't even have to wear a helmet in this state if you are over 17 and I doubt any insurance company is going to deny a claim if you are wearing one that meets the federal governments DOT rating.

If a US state has a helmet law and if any laws specify that said helmet be DOT labeled, is that not important?
Yes indeed, for legal reasons you have to have a DOT approval for the helmet in the USA in states where helmets are required, but as a guide to its safety rating the DOT is a very minimum standard and not one you should consider as being appropriate to the value of your head. For example, you can buy HWK Daytona half helmets on Amazon for less than $50 that come with DOT approval. Would you consider these helmets capable of keeping your head safe? The DOT approval merely gives those who don't want to wear a helmet, but have to according to their state laws, the ability to buy something with the most minimal level of head protection required by law.

Yes indeed, for legal reasons you have to have a DOT approval for the helmet in the USA in states where helmets are required, but as a guide to its safety rating the DOT is a very minimum standard and not one you should consider as being appropriate to the value of your head. For example, you can buy HWK Daytona half helmets on Amazon for less than $50 that come with DOT approval. Would you consider these helmets capable of keeping your head safe? The DOT approval merely gives those who don't want to wear a helmet, but have to according to their state laws, the ability to buy something with the most minimal level of head protection required by law.
I was just curious that if you buy a helmet labeled for the European market, and it does not have a DOT sticker, is that important? Apparently it is, since you say “you have to have a DOT approval . ..”. The value or legitimacy of the DOT standard from a safety standpoint was not what I was wondering about.

I'm very interested to read this report about fit, in part because it highlights how individual we all are. I've worn Arai's Profile and Signet-Q helmets for many years. They were among the only helmets that fit me and did not cause headache. The Signet-X is a bit different, and does have a bit of a pressure point up front (up higher) that doesn't work for me.

I recently tried a Schuberth C5 and found it does not fit me well at all. It has the same or worse pressure point up front as almost any 'intermediate-oval' helmet has for me.

As to ECE vs DOT vs Snell, I will say that ECE allows just as much force to the head as everybody else's standard, and the test method allows energy to 'leak' out of the system, so applied force is actually lower (thus making direct comparisons improper). Too, it is easily (and somewhat commonly) 'gamed' because of how it's written. 22.06 makes an effort to make it a bit tougher to 'game,' but it still allows just as much g-force to the head. DOT actually allows the least, not because of the stated limit, but because of the force-duration component of the standard. ...if people are actually following the standard... Snell is the only test readily available in N. America that can't really be gamed, and it actually has a lower force limit than ECE for the larger sizes.

I was just curious that if you buy a helmet labeled for the European market, and it does not have a DOT sticker, is that important? Apparently it is, since you say “you have to have a DOT approval . ..”. The value or legitimacy of the DOT standard from a safety standpoint was not what I was wondering about.
I suspect the DOT sticker is mandatory where helmets are required by law. I don't know if the Europeans would bother to put the DOT sticker on their helmets destined for the European market (why would they waste the time and money to do so). But for those products destined for the USA market I believe it is mandatory in those states that require a helmet.

It's SUPER common for helmets to be physically different for different markets around the world. So, one can neither rely on a euro helmet to be the exact same as the one available in N. America, nor can one rely on it to be different.

Here in the USA, reduced liability is not as cut and dried as it being communicated here. First, in the context of this thread, it only relates to injuries commonly mitigated by wearing a helmet. So facial disfigurement in the absence of a helmet might have be a strong position for defendant's reduced liability whereas a broken leg could not. If you are in a state that does not have a law requiring helmet, you are wearing a helmet with a safety certification other than the DOT requirement and involved in an accident, defendant's reduced liability claims would be a tough row to hoe.

You can think of this differently. If a Canadian rider travels from Ontario, CA wearing an ECE certified helmet and an American driver is negligent in causing the accident, would the defendant successfully argue the rider has contributory negligence because of the ECE standard the helmet received? The underlying scientific data supporting the safety of the helmet is what rules those decisions, not the State's requirement that a rider don a helmet with a DOT sticker while operating a motorcycle on public roads.

All this aside, I went out for a 60 mile ride. The C5 is unquestionably quiet. The viewport is huge too! Big difference from the Arai.

I hope I am not belaboring this thread. I've ridden about 300 miles with the C5. I've used it while on my C400GT with a pretty good Calsci screen and also the mediocre stock screen. I've also ridden the NC with the inadequate , in my opinion , Puig windscreen. I've ridden in traffic, behind trucks, and on the back roads all alone. Though the helmet is super comfortable its true strength in its quietness. Now that I have some time riding with it I can say the Arai is equally comfortable but not nearly as quiet as the C5 (which is pretty cool considering the C5 is a modular helmet).

Edit: The Arai is lighter. The viewport on the C5 is noticeably larger than the Arai.

Last edited:
I've been using a C3 for months now and can't complain either. The fit is pretty good, but I had to manually break in the forehead padding section because it was way too hard and gave me a headache within 5 min. I think I used an unopened jar of spaghetti sauce and rolled it back and forth while pressing down across it to kick start the process. It's been good ever since. Definitely a quality and quiet helmet (why I bought mine too).

Back