• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question about Shoei Neotec and GT-Air

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is time for a different helmet! I currently ride with a Bilt Spirit full face and it just doesn't fit me. I have used it for a 1000 miles and it isn't getting any better, so for Christmas I am getting a new helmet!

My features list for my new helmet includes; Hi-Viz, internal sunshield, and pinlock visor. After researching the available options it looks both the Shoei Neotec and GT-Air fit the bill and review very.very well, but have a question:

Will these helmets fit in the 'frunk'?

Thanks

brian

I believe a lot of that depends on helmet size. From what people tell me, most XL helmets will not fit in the frunk but those of smaller shell size will fit.

I have a Neotec in size 2XL.

I know ... I have a big melon.

The helmet does not fit in the frunk.

My large Neotec fits in the frunk, just. It goes in a lot easier without the tool kit in it's holder. I was lucky enough to buy mine on closeout at a local dealer, so was able to test fit (the frunk) before I laid down the Visa.

BTW, I thought the built in visor was the cat's meow before I bought it, but I can't remember the last time I used it. :confused:

My commute to work is eastbound in the AM and westbound in the PM, love the sunshield in the Bilt!

Trying to find a dimensional drawing of the different shell sizes...

Well, I can't help you with fitting it in the frunk. XL shell is probably going to rule that out in both the Neotec and the GT-Air. Of the two I'd be willing to bet the GT-Air would have the best chance as flip-faces tend to be larger than a standard full face. That part not dependent, I've been looking at both these helmets very closely myself as I have had great success with Shoei and I also am addicted to the flip down sun shield thanks to my Scorpion EXO 900. What I have found in my research is that since the GT-Air was designed from lessons learned making the Neotec, it actually is (arguably) the better of the two helmets. It has the emergency release cheek pads which don't seem like a very important feature until you need them. Anyhow, just my input. If you really want a flip-face nothing wrong with that the Neotec is a great helmet. But, of the two the GT-Air is probably going to be the most pleasant to ride in.

My Shoei Neotec is an XL, and it fits in the trunk. HOWEVER, I did have to completely remove the little hatch in the bottom and also take out the owner's manual from the bottom cavity to make it fit. It IS a snug fit, even then, but it's doable. If you have any bluetooth comm gear or camera mounts on your soon to be new helmet, then all bets are off.

I own a GT-Air size Medium, it fits, barely in the frunk. I'm not sure any size larger would fit.

Another word of caution, try on the GT-Air. I have a polish fat face/high cheek bones. I HAD to get the thinner cheek pads, as the stock was way too tight. Also, the GT-Air is called the "air" for how it cuts through it, with very little wind noise and buffeting. NOT AIRFLOW. It flows some air, but its not anything close to RF-1200. You can close up all the vents and it makes for a nice cool weather helmet, especially with the chin guard in place.

I Want a Neotec for the summer, The flip up at stops, and long lights would be welcomed.

Good luck! Love Shoei quality, it really shows.

I wish there was a Shoei dealer closer than 100 miles, I would love to try them on.

I am now leaning towards the RF-1200 and a part of sunglasses!

I promise I'll make up my mind by Monday

I found my Neotec a little tight on the cheeks for the first 1000 miles, now it fits like a dream.

Great lid too, the hi viz really gets people's attention, so I'm told. I wear it as my only hi viz so I don't have to look like one of the hi viz brigade with a vest. (Unless the visibility is very low).

I use the sun visor a lot too, at lower speeds through towns and villages it's great for eye protection whilst the flip is up.

I thinks the Neotec only has two downsides, the lack of a double D fastener and the cost.
I've only been able to afford one as I got it at almost half price as part of the bike deal with my dealer.

I usualy dont put my helmet in my frunk, my frunk lock has failed once. that mean it can fail again. not until i make an extra cable to open the lid i would not put it in there.

It would suck not being able to go home if the lid failed to open for you.

I thinks the Neotec only has two downsides, the lack of a double D fastener and the cost.
I've only been able to afford one as I got it at almost half price as part of the bike deal with my dealer.

Your Neotec doesn't use a double D-ring? Does it use a ratchet-strap style or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

Your Neotec doesn't use a double D-ring? Does it use a ratchet-strap style or am I misunderstanding what you meant?

Nope, you ain't misunderstood, my Neotec has a ratchet type strap.

It must be a regional thing if you can get double D straps there in the U.S.?

I'd rather have a double D for sure.

Nope, you ain't misunderstood, my Neotec has a ratchet type strap.

It must be a regional thing if you can get double D straps there in the U.S.?

I'd rather have a double D for sure.

That's kind of what I was figuring as I've never seen anything Shoei without a double-D ring on this side of the pond. What an odd move by Shoei. Am I correct in assuming ratchet strap style helmets are more common/popular in the UK as a whole?

Back