• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Winter storage ?

Mandalorian

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in the Northeast winter is on its way. Have to put up the NC. 1.Other than running gas stabilizer for a while. 2.I don't have a battery tender so should I remove the battery and store is in a warmish place? 3..Thinking of getting one of those motorcycle shelters. 4. Anybody recommend a certain one? 5.NC will be left in the shelter enclosed and , protected on the side of the garage. If it sits there up off the ground and in the shelter during a long New Englandwinter. Is there anything that just sitting there in the cold 24/7 (at times below zero) that mignt be damaged or ruined?
Anything I might do to keep it nicey-nice for the spring?

Some will say try to store it with the tires off the ground, but I don't think that's really a big deal if your pressures are set. If it's enclosed it should be fine, you've covered about everything I'd do with the stabilizer and battery. Might add a good wash before you put her away though...

Used to live in MN where the winter takes up half the year. If your space is not heated definitely remove the battery. I also put more air on the tires than recommended and check it as temps drop. Finally, keep a full tank of gas to minimize the air and moisture in the tank.

If you don't have a tender at least take the battery out.put gas stabilizer in,and cover it up.a cycleshell.com if you don't have a place to store it.

Taking the battery out when the bike is left outside prevents it from freezing if it became discharged. Taking the battery out and putting if in a warm place increases the rate of self discharge, which is not good either. So, you need to get a battery charger. They're only around $25.

I remember WINTER. When I was kid, I lived in Germany and loved winter. I've been in the south for 40 years and only seen one REAL winter here in Louisiana.
I still miss winter - but not as much now that I'm riding again!

Before I had a large shed to store a bike I used a Cycleshell enclosure sitting on a sheet of plywood on top of several pallets. I had the bike on a battery tender and also had a marine dehumidifier:

WEST MARINE Air Dryer with Fan, Dehumidifier | West Marine

Under the bike to keep condensation down.

With a Cycleshell you have the get snow off of it as soon as possible. The structure is not designed for heavy snow loads. The extra large model I had didn't have one of the metal ribs that holds it up directly over the middle of the structure. I used six inch thick foam cylinders that were being sold as pool toys, attached the rear and front of the bikes in an arc that would support the fabric of the storage unit. I have photos somewhere, I'll post them later.

100_0226.jpg

Last edited:
I have an easy solution to this problem.

Spring - Parked in driveway, pointed in the ready to go ride position.

Summer - Parked in driveway, pointed in the ready to go ride position.

Fall - Parked in driveway, pointed in the ready to go ride position.

Winter - Parked in driveway, pointed in the ready to go ride position.

Would take up to much riding time to remove a bike cover or get the bike out of a garage. So just ride year round, the battery does not have to ever be charged this way!

All the above is good advice - I'd add that after washing the bike, wipe it over with a clean rag with WD-40 or ACF-50 applied to it. Not the brake discs tho'! :rolleyes:

I remember WINTER. When I was kid, I lived in Germany and loved winter. I've been in the south for 40 years and only seen one REAL winter here in Louisiana.
I still miss winter - but not as much now that I'm riding again!

When we moved to north Florida my wife complained she wanted to live where there was winter. After a few years I was transferred to Grande Prairie, Alberta, a place even Canadians consider way up north. After a couple years there she told me she didn't mean all the time.

I winterized my NC today.
1. Fueled up with 93 Premium (supposed to be least amount of Ethanol)
2. 1oz of Marine blue Sta-bil.
3. Lubricated the chain and set the tire pressure.
4. Pig tail the battery to my tender, while still on the bike.

I have my 125cc pcx scooter still ready to ride, I see a few more days of possible riding.

That's what I love about Central Texas we ride year round.

You actually ride in the summer in Texas? :confused: What a hardy bunch.

image.jpg

Last edited:
If you dress up like Michelin man you stay warm and it doesn't hurt too much when you fall off .and you get free sauna when searching for your credit cards/house keys/bike keys that are in some remote unfeelable inside pocket. ah winter

Back