• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sputter Help

motocommuter

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, I tried doing a search and came up with nothing. I have a 50 mile (each way) commute and noticed something odd. About a month ago I was at the end of my commute in the early morning and the engine sputtered a few times. It was about 50 F outside and the engine was definitely warmed up. I was accelerating from one highway to the next in sixth and the engine sputtered three times, and then continued to run normal. I had plenty of fuel, and all post ride checks were good. Since I could not recreate this, I let it go and got on with my day. Never happened again until this morning. I got off of night shift this morning, and it was again about 50 F. I warmed up the bike while putting on my gear. About 2 miles into the ride home, I accelerated and it sputtered once pretty good in fifth and continued to run fine after. I cannot recreate this in any way when trying and can find nothing wrong with the bike (as far as pre-ride inspections go).The only similarity I can see is that it was 50 F outside. But, it's that cold (or warm) every morning. Anyways, I am kinda stumped on this. What do you guys think? Only my second road bike, so maybe this is normal. IDK

If its happening at high revs, you might just be hitting the 6800 RM wall...

Sounds like it could be tank of bad fuel (water) due to symptoms described and the fact that is seems to happen erratically and infrequently. I have never been a snake oil advocate, but today's gasoline is absolute crap and has caused me to change my thinking. It has a very short shelf life and the ethanol is causing all kinds of problems in new and older fuel systems. One product that has been around for a long time is Sea Foam and it really does work. It will help put the water droplets into suspension, diluting it and feeding the engine just a little at a time, instead of a large drop causing a stumble or sputter, and also has some cleaning agents in it. Just add some to your fuel tank (follow the directions). I have also gotten into the habit of stabilizing the fuel for my lawn equipment(Sta-bil) and my boat ( Star-Tron). Also, if the tanker truck is dropping fuel at your gas station, do not buy fuel there for at least a few hours. When they drop the fuel it stirs the water and trash that is in the bottom of the tanks, mixing it with the fuel you are pumping into your vehicle. How often have you seen filters being replaced at the gas station fuel dispensers? I have never seen that happen. Is that fuel even being filtered before it is pumped into your vehicle?

Sounds like it could be tank of bad fuel (water) due to symptoms described and the fact that is seems to happen erratically and infrequently. I have never been a snake oil advocate, but today's gasoline is absolute crap and has caused me to change my thinking. It has a very short shelf life and the ethanol is causing all kinds of problems in new and older fuel systems. One product that has been around for a long time is Sea Foam and it really does work. It will help put the water droplets into suspension, diluting it and feeding the engine just a little at a time, instead of a large drop causing a stumble or sputter, and also has some cleaning agents in it. Just add some to your fuel tank (follow the directions). I have also gotten into the habit of stabilizing the fuel for my lawn equipment(Sta-bil) and my boat ( Star-Tron). Also, if the tanker truck is dropping fuel at your gas station, do not buy fuel there for at least a few hours. When they drop the fuel it stirs the water and trash that is in the bottom of the tanks, mixing it with the fuel you are pumping into your vehicle. How often have you seen filters being replaced at the gas station fuel dispensers? I have never seen that happen. Is that fuel even being filtered before it is pumped into your vehicle?

I didn't even consider water in the fuel. That is definitely a possibility and would explain why the stutter is nothing I can reproduce. At first I was thinking that something was up with the emissions crap, or maybe the valves. If it was either of the two, I'd expect to have a lot more stuttering and more regular as well. I'll look into that fuel stabilizer. Thanks.

I have had this problem before on racing and performance units. Years ago in a time called "Carburetors" it was the floats not able to keep up with the maneuver. Fuel injection for the most part did cure that problem. On a fuel injected bike the first thing I would check would be the fuel filter. Even while under the pressure of the pump, something is starving the engine of fuel for less than a second.

I also believe it is a fuel issue.
Water in the tank?
Dirty fuel?
Water in fuel (from the gas station)?

Change the gas station and see if it reappears.

Good luck.
:D

Thanks guys for the input. I don't recall seeing maintenance for a fuel filter in the book. I'm sure there is one, but not sure if it is easily serviceable. Probably in the tank attached to the pump like some new cars?

My own guess is that this issue is electrical or electronic in nature. That's a much better fit, IMO, to the intermittent and non-reproducible nature of the problem. If it was 'bad gas,' it's not like you'd get 50 cylinders-full of bad fuel, all at once/in a row, and the rest of the tank be 'good gas.'
MHO

NC700 fuel filter

Fuel filter is #7. It may not be the filter, but changing it is a easy way to see if problem leaves. Also, if you travel a lot you so learn this one of the parts you always carry with you. Does not hurt to have an extra, you'll use it. I change mine every 12,000 miles. Easy to change on this bike.

FuelFilter.jpg

Back