• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yes, yes, let's talk about the weather.

AZ_Ed

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How beautifully blue the sky,
The glass is rising very high,
Continue fine I hope it may,
And yet it rained but yesterday.
Tomorrow it may pour again
(I hear the country wants some rain),
Yet people say, I know not why,
That we shall have a warm July.

Yesterday Phoenix hit 110 F. Today the forecast is 112-114 F with temperatures reaching 119 along the Colorado river. It's only June.

What is this "rain" they speak of? (Ok, we do actually get a couple of inches per year)

Ride safe,
ed

How beautifully blue the sky,
The glass is rising very high,
Continue fine I hope it may,
And yet it rained but yesterday.
Tomorrow it may pour again
(I hear the country wants some rain),
Yet people say, I know not why,
That we shall have a warm July.

Yesterday Phoenix hit 110 F. Today the forecast is 112-114 F with temperatures reaching 119 along the Colorado river. It's only June.

What is this "rain" they speak of? (Ok, we do actually get a couple of inches per year)

Ride safe,
ed

6.jpg

Rode down from Showlow to Phoenix on 60 one evening. I don't remember the name of the mountain range I came through but the twisting ride down was beautiful. This was in September, and I had just ridden the high plains route from Roswell to Showlow going to Vegas for a Yamaha Convention. In a driving rain in Showlow I had missed the turn to I-40, as I had planned to stay in Flagstaff that night.

It went from 80 degrees in Showlow to 112 degress in Phoenix quickly. In that heat I could not find I-17 fast enough. Headed north, turned on the after burners to Flagstaff.

I was late to the convention, but the adventure was a lot better than some old convention.

smileymelting.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Friend from New Mexico said just the other day "We get about six inches of rain annually, and if you think that doesn't sound like much, you should be here the day it comes!!"
Hilarious!

Awfully toasty today, isn't it, Ed? I guess I'm lucky to have had to drive to work the last couple days, rather than riding (for reasons unrelated to weather). The LD Comfort shirt, soaked of course, does a surprisingly good job helping me stay cool without dehydrating, but the furnace blast to the legs and face is not that great.

What do you wear riding in this weather, Ed?

Was 65 with blue skies and sunny with light winds on the Oregon coast today. Lots of bikes on the road. This is when living in Oregon is great!

Awfully toasty today, isn't it, Ed? I guess I'm lucky to have had to drive to work the last couple days, rather than riding (for reasons unrelated to weather). The LD Comfort shirt, soaked of course, does a surprisingly good job helping me stay cool without dehydrating, but the furnace blast to the legs and face is not that great.

What do you wear riding in this weather, Ed?

In my younger days I wore a denim jacket and pants, if it was a long ride I wore a long sleeve cotton shirt and a bandanna that I would soak in water. Instant swamp cooler.
Now I wear a textile jacket with armor, same process for long rides, wet and go. I have been here a while and know to keep drinking plenty of water, gotten acclimated to the heat.

In the summer I ride up to Munds Park most weekends, once you get past Black Canyon City the heat is not too bad and then I freeze north of Camp Verde. It's a beautiful ride, I don't get tired of it.

ed

Ugh! Our highs have only been in the low- to mid- 100's around Tucson this week. Practically winter, compared to Phoenix. I've been using mesh gear up till around 10 or 11 AM when it's still under 100 degrees. If I ride after that during the day, I'll switch to LD sleeves under a textile jacket, & leave the sleeve vents open. Both work okay for the time of day I use it for. For longer rides, I'll add either my LD shirt &/or my evapo-vest.

My LD Comfort shirt is under a ~500 denier Cordura 1-piece armored suit. It has surprised me how much air comes through the Cordura. I switched back to my larger Honda Touring windscreen the other day, mostly to help the water in the shirt not evaporate too fast. I may try my perf'd leather jacket and textile pants on his bike once, although the cut of the jacket is just all wrong for the NCX.

It is cost of being able to ride 24/7, 365 days a year. In my younger days I thought anything over 110" was hot. Now it is 100" OY! Just saying, not complainin'. It is nice to wake up every morning and know it is going to be a nice day. And when it is not one is even happier because it breaks the monotony of having a nice day... Been in the desert southwest over 28 years.

The weather service issued an extreme heat warning this week. We only got to 116 F here today so we did not break a record. The prediction was for 118, which would have tied the record for this date. Tomorrow may get there! The forecast is for 110 plus temperatures for the next week.

ed

Here in Montreal it just keeps on raining. In the last five weekends we've had at least one day of rain on every weekend. Weather sucks really bad. Guess I'm gonna have to go drive in the states to get good wether!

June 29, 2013 - Phoenix temperature was 119F, hottest June 29 on record.

ed

And that's why I'll never live in Arizona!! No offense or anything, but that too damn hot! It was 104F today where I live, should be 108/109F tomorrow. That's more than hot enough for me. Rode the bike to work this afternoon too, thinking about taking the car tomorrow..

Coldest summer in Gibraltar that I remember... ca 25ᵒC and sun is not burning-hot... not that I complain... not at all! :cool:

Headed out for work this AM (about a quarter to five) to odd weather. High 80s, kinda hazy, and a bunch of lightning to the south and southwest. Only took ~2 miles to be engulfed in blowing sand and dust. Something must've blown through very late last night or early this AM, and this is the remnant? It's still windy and very dirty air right now. The city's heat island is in the mid-90s, though.

I got smashed by the rain on the way home yesterday:(
Prior to that, I had never gotten wet....well Im not a bike rain virgin any longer...:)

Back