• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wrinkly Seat Concepts??

Ruggybuggy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Seat Concepts seat and like it but wasn't happy because it was slippery with my textile pants. Seat Concepts sent me a "grip" style cover and I had it installed. Well there's some wrinkles in it. The upholsterer who stapled it on said it was the best he could do. He did the first one and it had no wrinkles. So is this something that will get better after a few days in the sun? Is it an installer problem or a Seat Concepts issue with the gripper cover?

IMG_0536%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_0537%255B1%255D.JPG

I installed my own Seat Concepts. I ended up with one wrinkle in the same area. It seems to be getting better over time, probably as the rest of the material stretches. Give it a few weeks and see what happens. You can always pull some staples out and locally stretch the problem area.

I used the vinyl material on mine, but one question would be if he used the spray on glue on the foam before stretching and tacking the material to the pan? I have had no wrinkles but the vinyl cover appears thicker. For me, I like to be able to slide a bit on the seat.

I am going with poor install. It is not easy to stretch the cover, it has to be done in stages and worked and then worked some more. If your hands and fingers are not sore when your done you may have wrinkles :)

IN Some places it may take two people one to stretch and on to place the staples. Then second time stretch you pull the staple and stretch and replace the staple.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that much wrinkling isn't going to come out after time. The gripper cover is different than the regular seat cover in that it stretches easier and it has a foam backing. He didn't use a stray glue when he put it on. I think I'll try to remove some staples and stretch it some. Wish me luck!

That is a poor installation. I have the Seat Concept Gripper cover installed and there are no wrinkles. The material seems thicker but will install without wrinkles, if installed correctly.
Photos available.

Fixed it. I managed to pull the cover tighter in the right places and most of the wrinkles were gone but when I installed it back on the bike some came back. I took a heat gun and carefully warmed the wrinkled area. Heat shrinking the material worked now it's wrinkle free.

IMG_0540%255B1%255D.JPG

IMG_0543%255B1%255D.JPG

Last edited:
local upholsterer was really impressed with the foam/cover from SC... and really liked my choice of gripper material, said a lot of people should get it but don't because of the look. I bought the matching rear just to have it match, but I'll try out the front seat first before I fully commit.

I had my Seat Concepts 'gripper' foam and cover installed by the manufacture and I have a couple of wrinkles. I'm going to park the NC in the sun (if it ever shines again) and see if they relax, if not I will try a little heat gun action.

brian

I installed my own a few days ago and also have the wrinkles in the same area (carbon fiber not gripper). Some of the videos I've seen of the installation have them at that spot as well. In at least one of the SC videos the installer says if you get that they will go away over time after the seat's in the sun for awhile, but it really bugs me every time I see it and I'm doubting that they'll just disappear on their own. I may pull a few staples and see if I can correct it.

I had my Seat Concepts 'gripper' foam and cover installed by the manufacture and I have a couple of wrinkles. I'm going to park the NC in the sun (if it ever shines again) and see if they relax, if not I will try a little heat gun action.

brian
'v
Same here. Just got my seat back from SC (They did the install) There are some wrinkles. I was also concerned about a few "v" cuts they made in the cover underneath the seat. The cuts are really close to the seat edge. Any stretching of the cover may cause the cuts to be visible. The seat is great though and eliminates forward slope for me.

Back