• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Would you go back to a manual transmission? DCT owners

Would you go back to a manual?

• Yes

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • NO

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • Probably not

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Never had a manual

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Never had an auto

Votes: 21 28.4%

• Total voters
I like my DCT but it is not why I bought an NC. When I want a new bike if it does not come with DCT I will select the DCT option, But if what I want does not have DCT available I will be riding a manual transmission.

On another note I will not buy a bike without ABS.

If the Poll is directed toward DCT owners, as the thread title suggests, then the last option could never apply. Do want it edited out?

That's how it was listed on the other site, maybe they needed to vote before seeing the poll.

I have two bikes, one manual and one auto. If my current manual came out with an automatic, I'd get it in a heart beat.

Test rode the DCT four times but bought a manual. Does that mean I went back?

I don't know how to answer this question. I want to click "never had a manual", but I learned (as everyone has to) on a manual transmission motorcycle and was tested and licensed on a manual. But if this is strictly about motorcycles that you owned. Then that is what I will click. My fiance rides a CBR 250 R. I ride around on that once in a while to remind myself how to row through the gears, I'm pretty good at it, but she is SO much smoother than I could ever be. I took her on a ride, then we switched and she rode me around. Easily she is much better at it. I'm not grinding gears, but her shifts are like butter, you don't even feel anything when cruising in town.

As I don't own this bike, does this still make me a "never had a manual" candidate?

Ugh, I'm just going to click it anyways.

Kinda of a silly question. I don't have a DCT because I hate manual, and on the right bike a manual would be a much better option. On this bike the way I ride it, the DCT seems to keep me a more sedate rider, and I just enjoy it a lot more. So no, I would never go back to the manual on the 700x, but if I bought a supersport bike or something like that I probably would.

Really the question should be: do you dislike the DCT, or do you miss the manual gearbox. To me the answer (again on this bike) is no, I don't.

Next bike will be dct and abs... 4 sure...
(Maybe crosstourer)
No more manual shift, the question is: "why should I take a manual shift... For what?"
You guys did you ever try dct on a crosstourer with 129cv?

Advantages and disadvantages. I have other bikes with both and enjoy both :). I think the DCT on the NC 700 is excellent, different engine type with low rpm, high torque for efficiency.

I bought the DCT because of problems with my left leg and foot. I like it, but ideally I'd prefer a manual.
I'm sure I'll get used to this, but you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.....
Tibs

I voted no, but this only applies to the NC700. The engine is purpose built for an auto trans in my opinion. Perfect for general transportation. If I want a thrill I jump on my other bikes.

The DCT is my first bike. I have been having so much fun on it and not worrying on how to learn and when to shift and all, I have not missed the manual. I do know how to drive a manual, I just dont want to. As it is a commuter first, a lot of my time will be in traffic, and there is enough to worry about there. With the paddle shifters, if I need to down shift or up shift, I can, and then the bike takes over a few seconds later. I think of it like dropping an automatic car into passing gear. Put 50 miles on it Sunday and it was a blink of an eye.

I am not even thinking of looking for a different bike, just putting money into this one with bags and other mods to make it both a commuter and a touring bike. I also keep vehicles for a long time - I have had my car, which I bought new, for 15 years now.

Well I voted 'probably not' as I'm one to say never say never.

But I highly doubt I'll buy a manual bike again after owning the DCT.

I love everything about it.

The NO Choice should read - NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT

This bike scratches, no, it cures the itch I developed when I owned a 2003 Honda Silver Wing for a couple of years.

Last edited:
I just don't know if my old habits would cope with an auto shift bike. The one and only car I've ever owned is a manual (and no ABS, or air-con, power windows, radio, etc., etc.) I have enough trouble with the hideous misplaced turn signal/horn button, lol. I wonder how long it would take for me to stop looking like a complete newb when I accidently blipped the throttle for an imaginary need to rev match when down shifting, hee hee

And what do you DCT guys do when you want to pop the front wheel up off the ground to go over an obstacle off road? :confused:

I choose no.

Whenever i feel the need to shift i can always switch it up or down. And the rest of the time (95%) i don't have to think about it. Even off-road through sand and up/down hill i can adjust it to my needs. No need to shift my left hand or left foot to take action if something needs to be done. For me the only thing you can't do on the DCT is let the clutch slip when you're riding. And since i never had the need to do that i see no reason to go back. I only wish my other bikes came with DCT.

@ LBS i shift down open up and throw my weight back. Never had it lift on the front though because of the tires on it and the ground i was riding on. :)

Back