• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

wiring schematic - aftermarket horn

JimbosToys

Reaction score
Visit site
The stock horn on my 2012 seems anemic. I want to add a louder one and have picked out one (72112 FREEWAY BLASTER AM80SX LOW NOTE HORN "F") that draws 6 amps. The stock horn draws 2 amps (I tested it). Is all that power going thru the switch at the handlebar, or is there a relay (I do not have the shop manual).
Anybody added aftermarket horns with 6 amps and had problems? Or is there a horn suggestion anybody wants to make?
Thanks, Jim

I would suggest that you connect your new horn directly to the leads of the harness to try it out. If you are satisfied with the loudness of the horn, then you should connect it directly to the harness then. If you are not satisfied with the loudness, you might want to think about installing a relay harness for the horn.

I found this website that offers pre-assembled horn relay harnesses, Horn Relay Kits.

It will insure that you get the full battery voltage directly to the horn and increase it's loudness significantly.

I have installed Stebel horns on my NC700X and also my NT700V. The Stebel draws somewhere between 15-20 amps so you're safe.

There is no horn relay in the system so you'll have to buy a 4-pin relay from an auto parts store (around $10). The four wires that go to the relay are 1) battery positive, 2) battery negative, 3) trigger wire, and 4) to the horn. I used the original horn's positive wire as the trigger wire. Do not use the wimpy ground wire from the original horn - make a new one! I used 14 ga wire for everything new.

ps. Be careful where you mount the horn because any water that gets into the trumpet portion of the horn will kill it. I had two Fiamm horns die on me because of that.

I would suggest that you connect your new horn directly to the leads of the harness to try it out. If you are satisfied with the loudness of the horn, then you should connect it directly to the harness then. If you are not satisfied with the loudness, you might want to think about installing a relay harness for the horn.

I found this website that offers pre-assembled horn relay harnesses, Horn Relay Kits.

It will insure that you get the full battery voltage directly to the horn and increase it's loudness significantly.

Being satisfied with the loudness is not as important as preventing the horn switch from burning out. A relay is needed to protect the switch, unless it can be confirmed capable of handling 6 amps.

Last edited:
Being satisfied with the loudness is not as important as preventing the horn switch from burning out. A relay is needed to protect the switch, unless it can be confirmed capable of handling 6 amps.

I did offer the inquirer with a solution with pre-fab relay harnesses. I always make my own relay harnesses for any application. Not everyone is comfortable working around electrical.

The solution that I presented requires minimal effort and can be installed in a matter of minutes.

100pcs-lot-automotive-auto-relays-12v-dc.jpg

RelayWiringGuide.jpg

hornrelay.jpg

Back