• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Windshield Science Project 2 (Deflector Shield)

Spaceteach

Reaction score
Visit site
Several months ago I started a thread titled Windshield Science Project about mounting a National Cycle Wind Deflector using the NC windshield mount location instead of the handlebars. Since the mod has gone through several tweaks and a few months of riding I thought I'd start a new thread with the final design and riding impressions.

The original Windshield Science Project thread detailed the parts that were used for the mount, so if you're interested you can read that thread. The changes in the final edition were minimal, but made a big difference in adjustability. Here are the details:
First, I found that the 5/16 rod that I originally used was just a little too small in diameter for the windshield mounting part. I had to put several thick coats of paint or tape on the upper part of the rod to get the National Cycle part to hold securely. The fix was to move up to 3/8 inch rod and drill out the windshield mount using a 23/64 inch drill bit, which is one size smaller than 3/8 (my apologies to the members on the metric system, but my drill set is in inches). I also had to file the u bolts used to attach the rod to the bike so that the larger rod would fit. I also found that I could make the pieces of rod longer and get an good range of adjustability. I ended up settling for 14 inch long rods. The rods are straight, and with the handlebars rotated to a comfortable position there are no clearance issues with the bars hitting the screen mounts in any position.

Riding impressions are for a 5 foot 10 inch rider with a 31 inch inseam. The seat on my bike was rebuilt by Sargent and I also installed 25mm SW-Motech handlebar risers, but I don't think they made any difference to my ride height. What I found was that with the screen in the lower positions, I got more protection than the stock screen, but the helmet was in the full air stream and wind noise was about the same as with a stock shield. In the upper position, wind to the helmet area is reduced and the noise is reduced quite a bit. There is a lot of air flowing between the inner shield and the Deflector Shield, so there is still going to be some wind noise no matter where the windshield is positioned. If the windshield is rotated straight up, there is some buffeting, but you can get rid of it by rotating the windshield so that it is angled back a bit. The angle shown in the following pictures results in smooth airflow.

Here are a couple pictures of the final outcome:
IMG_0069.jpg
This is the highest position I use. While it looks like there would be a blast of air going through the gap between the deflector and the windshield, there really isn't. I think the deflector pushes the incoming wind blast up and it then flows along the back of the windshield. I've thought about making a taller deflector, but it ended up not being a problem.

IMG_0071.jpg
This is the lowest position I use. I could go an inch and a half or two lower, but I haven't found any reason to. This position results in torso protection up to the shoulder area and leaves the head in full airflow.

IMG_0072.jpg
This is the windshield angle I usually ride with. Any more upright and I start to get buffeting. I will sometimes angle it back a little further just to fine tune the airflow.

At any rate, I'm satisfied with the end result. It gives me enough protection for the riding I normally do in Florida and enough wind flow to stay comfortable in the heat.

Bob

Back