• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

wind shields

Oldenuf

Reaction score
Visit site
For those interested in the noise factor. The test will not cost a single cent. Take whatever windshield on your NC off and take it out for a ride, include a bit of highway speed. Then replace your windshield and repeat the same ride.

I guess I am one of the weird people, as the stock Honda shield for my 6' 1" height, in the low position is about 1" to tall. It makes just a bit to much noise, As I wear ear plugs all the time it's acceptable. I would like to have all the money I've spent on different windshields only to take them off and ride naked. Yes I ride slower, usuall 60-65 mph, even on the interstates. An interstate freeway, personally, is just a means to get to an interesting road, and a road without many straight sections is best enjoyed on a nearly naked motorcycle, at 50 to 70 mph. I know this doesn't work for the rider who commutes and for those who need to ride with fast traffic. It's my personal thing about riding, and we are all different.

Art

Put a small shield on just to protect the speedo, works OK. The air hits just below the shoulders and is about as smooth and quiet as it can get for this machine.
The shield is made from an old helmet visor. Not sure if I can live with it's looks, as I like the stock shield, but it didn't cost me anything.
Cheap "old fart".

ArtDSCF0949.jpgDSCF0948.jpgDSCF0947.jpg

The 'S" has a smaller screen than the "X". I'd like to try one on my X, if it fits.

NC700S.jpg

Greg

FWIW, when I was experimenting with a deflector shield mod I found that .093 Lucite is easy to bend and form. I wouldn't suggest using it for a full size windshield, but for small ones like you are using it works great. You can use the stock windshield for a template to figure out where to drill the mounting holes, and when you screw it on to the bike it will bend enough to fit. After you put it on the bike, you can use a heat gun to form it permanently if you'd like. There are pictures of one I made up towards the end of the windshield science project thread. I think it's around post 22 of the thread. I also posted some pics in the members section of the forum gallery. By the way, Lucite works well, but Lexan is way too stiff for this technique, so if you try it make sure you get use the more bendable material. The plastic is available at Lowes or Home Depot.

Bob

FWIW, when I was experimenting with a deflector shield mod I found that .093 Lucite is easy to bend and form. I wouldn't suggest using it for a full size windshield, but for small ones like you are using it works great. ... By the way, Lucite works well, but Lexan is way too stiff for this technique, so if you try it make sure you get use the more bendable material. The plastic is available at Lowes or Home Depot.
Bob

I had a good experience with .093 Lexan including bending it. The sheet I bought from Home Depot cost $20. Heat gun to bend it was $20. Now that I've done it once, I'd do it again.
Here's the link to the post: DIY Windscreen

I'll be adding more to that post after I get the hardware that replaces the stock bolts. Some guy on this board makes them, and it will solve a problem I had working with the stock rubber moutned bolts. He Calls them "NUT PLATES".
The first photos show the Lexan Windscreen without the bend...the latter posts show the screen with hte heat bend and explain why that was necessary.

The screen I made was meant to be as big as I could make it. After riding from Phoenix to San Diego, I knew the smallish stock windshield just wasn't enough. Not surprisingly, MPG improved with the more aero-dynamic windscreen.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob & Greg,

I'll take a look at the "S" screen and check out sources for Lucite.
Like I said I had an old shield on the shelf and it was a good match for the radius for the shield so I drilled a couple holes and took a ride to see if I was above the rough air coming off the shield.

Art

StratTuner,
I didn't mean that Lexan couldn't be bent to shape and it is structurally stiffer than the Lucite. All I was getting at was that when I tried to just muscle some Lexan into shape, I couldn't do it, but the Lucite was flexible enough that I could install bolts in one side of of the mount and bend the material around to bolt up the other. Made it really easy to experiment with how much radius I wanted the screen to have, and I didn't need the heat gun to bend it. When I tried it with Lexan, I had to use the heat gun. On a small fly type windscreen, the Lucite is strong enough and you only have to use heat if you want to permanently shape the material after you test it. On a large shield like yours, the Lucite would be too flexible. By the way, I followed your windshield post, and the shield is excellent.

Bob

The 'S" has a smaller screen than the "X". I'd like to try one on my X, if it fits.

View attachment 3822

Greg

FYI, it doesn't fit. You know we have both the NCX and the NCS models here at Spain. You would have to drill new holes and, even that way, I'm not sure if it would fit good enough.

FYI, it doesn't fit. You know we have both the NCX and the NCS models here at Spain. You would have to drill new holes and, even that way, I'm not sure if it would fit good enough.

Good (but sad) to know that the S screen doesn't fit on the X. Thanks.

Greg

Back