• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why did you choose your NC?

Short answer: It seemed purpose built for what I had in mind, and the price was right.

Long answer: I had been casually thinking of getting a bike for a few years, I started off considering smaller dual-sports, then eventually decided I would get a KLR650, but was concerned it would be top-heavy, unwieldy to learn on and uncomfortable for long highway trips. This fall I did more research and started to gravitate towards a CB500X, but when I saw a really good deal on a used NC700X I did a bunch more reading and all the negatives in the reviews sounded like positives to me.

What I wanted was a motorcycle that would be:
comfortable for 600+km rides on moderately OK (Saskatchewan) roads
good manners on gravel, with the ability to do some backwoods exploring
Good fuel economy
Highly reliable with minimal maintenance necessary
not cost an arm and a leg

I only got about 300km of riding in before the snow flew but it was enough to develop a few first impressions and opinions.

what I like:
So far it seems to fit the criteria I set out above quite nicely
It has been quite easy to learn on. does not feel too big for a mature learner.
Does not feel too small, nicely planted on the highway with sidewinds etc.
Built in storage

What I don't like:
small fuel tank: I would ideally like a 700km fuel range, 500km would be fine, there is a 400km stretch I will be riding that does not always have reliable fuel stops.
windshield, or lack of.

Generally I am quite happy with my purchase. I am looking forward to spring when I can really get to use it and configure the bike how I want it.

If riding conservatively (45-55mph) you can get 250 miles (400km) out of a tank. Get some side bags and use 2 reda gas can, one each side to give you almost 2 gallons. You could also get a tail trunk or use the frunk to put a 1-2.5 gallon gas can in.

Many different 3rd party windshields are available. I'm using a Clear Puig Touring Windscreen on mine. Blocks all the wind to the chest and reduces helmet wind.

Low center of gravity. I came off a Honda PC800. Both have a lot in common.
It is a well built, do it all motorcycle.
Dislikes
Seat
Headlight, mine throws a v pattern, socks on low position.
Old school chain adjusters.
Bikes looked at.
Kawasaki 650 Verses
Suzuki Vstrom
Yamaha FJ09
For me the the Likes and price sold me. Paid $5600 out the door for a new leftover 2013

I have been back riding for 5 years now (I am in my mid 40's)...and have been "working my way up the ladder" bike wise.

Started on a scooter (Yamaha BW50) and then got "the bug"..I ride what ever I own at least 10 000kms a season. The next season I bought a CBR125r. Great little bike ....rode all over BC and Alberta...did 12 000 kms that season. Rode EVERYWHERE on that bike...was like a celebrity at gas stations, etc. NO ONE could believe I was "touring" on such a small cc bike !! LOL

Then sold that for a Honda CBR250r. Awesome bike. Waaaaay better than I thought in was going to be. Did lots of 3-4 day trips on her !! Great for twisty roads, you can almost think-drive this bike !! Want to go this way ...just a little lean and away you go !! set it up for touring too. Got a "Ventrua luggage system" and worked great for travelling !! (another 12 000km season) had that but wanted to try a different style of riding so bought a Kawasaki KLR650.

So on the KLR650 I set it up (LOTS of farkles) for a big trip to Vancouver Island and Alaska. Great bike ...kind of the bike I was looking for but not quite right !! So decided I would sell the CBR250 and maybe the KLR and get something that would kind of be dual purpose. What would I get ??? Learned I wanted HONDA !! LOL

Thought I wanted a CB500x ...just the right size for "gravel travel" and yet can still tour if need. Went to dealer to see bike and make deal. BUT it was sold !!! So now what ????? Dealer stated they would make me a hell of a deal of a NC700x !! So the rest is history. 2 full years with her (the NC700x) and about 11000 kms on her now. No issues and no problems !! I have her all out fitted for gravel travel and touring and she works great for both! Have done a few reasonable trips and she runs like a top. Love the frunk...lots of space for all the little things needed. Gas mileage is great. "Seat Concepts" seat has helped with the slope..and my "numb bum". Just want some LED driving lights and then she will be setup nicely !!

This is an awesome thread. I just bought my 2015 NCXD last week and have only put 200 miles on it. I am getting a new seat and windshield. I also had a K1200 GT but I am done going over from 0-100 mph in 4 seconds. I just want to ride for the sake of riding and be comfortable and not worry about reliability. So far, the NC has all of that. Plus I really like not having a clutch. The D and S modes are great and shifting with the paddles is super fun.

I've had my NC for a little over a month now and it's been everything I've come to expect from a Honda. It's just an easy bike to own. In my case, a price that I could not pass up when I found a new 2013 model at a dealer 2-1/2 hours away, allowed me to add a lot of optional gear at the time of purchase. Although most of the gear I wanted was on the bike already, the ride home made me agree that a new seat was something I was going to make a priority. After I installed a Shad comfort seat, it was just a bit of added visibility by means of reflective tape and some flashing LED lights that made it to to the top of my ToDo list.

I looked at the Kawasaki and Suzuki comparable models and sat on them while moving them to various angles off of 90 degrees. The NC's low center of gravity and Frunk intrigued me and made it my favorite. I didn't look at the expensive brands at all. At this stage of the game, I felt that buying bikes in that class was a bit foolish.

I find myself swapping back and forth between my Triumph Tbird 900 and the NC. Since the NC is so easy to ride, I find it's improving my skills on the Triumph because I'm riding more.

What was your reason for purchasing the NC (primarily the NC 700X).

Utility, practicality, frugality.
Closely considered the V-Strom, and to a lesser degree the Versys. It's very entirely possible I'd have been equally or even a bit more happy with the V-Strom overall. However, I'm glad I got the NCX. It best meets the needs I identified pre-acquisition.

I bought the NC because during the test ride I thought it was perfect and didn't need a thing changed.

I have since modified it far, far more than any motorcycle I've owned. But I still think it was a good choice.

I've put 6000 miles on my NC since I bought it last spring. I don't commute, I just go for rides. I sold a 750 nighthawk and a Suzuki dr650 to get the NC. I miss the light weight and simplicity of the DR but I think I made a good choice. I had to force myself to buy a motorcycle that fit the way I actually ride, not the way I imagine myself riding. The nc fits the bill.

I think I said this somewhere on here previously, but the attraction for me was a return to a long stroke motor and the brilliant economy. However, little did I know that this quirky little bike would get under my skin to the point that I would spend almost €1600.00 on suspension upgrades for it. The upgrades are in the shop currently and ready to be fitted but I don't think I will get that sorted this side of a busy lead up to Xmas. Something to look forward to for 2016 though.

Back