• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why are there NO replacement front fenders for the NC700x?

ColoradoChris

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick background, I plan on doing some long rides, florida, maybe alaska, central america on my 2012 NC700X DCT. After just a short gravel/dirt excursion, I was unhappy with the amount of splash back onto the radiator.

It seems the common answer is a "fenda extenda" but why?

Wouldn't it be possible to have a total replacement fender that a) gave more splash back protection, b) was more aerodynamic and c) also provided some protection for the fork seals?

Through the magic of MS Paint and cut/paste from a Buel Battletwin picture I have a mockup. Add a little where its yellow, remove a little where it's grey outlined in yellow and add green wings for the fork seals......
fendermockup.png

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
--Chris
fendermockup.png

Last edited:
lovely, i seem to have deleted the original post somehow.....

Mods, any suggestions, other than perhaps improving my computer literacy?

Sorry you’re having trouble.

Posts were approved by moderator. No post or content was deleted by moderator. Try uploading a picture via the insert image icon (that looks like a picture frame) above the text edit window.

540DB0CD-3DB0-414E-B3F9-FE0C971C93F7.jpg

Last edited:
StratTuner, that is the first one I have seen that looks long enough. Strong work!

I will try my attachment again. I was looking for something that covered more of the wheel. I am planning a long central american trip for next year and thought cowling the front wheel might give a little more economy and range ( I'm still debating how to carry extra fuel but that will be a thread for another time)
small_fendermockup.png

trying againsmall_fendermockup.jpg
Through the magic of MS Paint, and cut and paste, I mocked up something that started as a Buel Battletwin fender, add a little where its yellow, remove the grey outlined by yellow and add a couple of green wings to cover the fork seals and I have what I think I want.

Last edited:
StratTuner, I like it, strong work. That is the closest I have seen to being long enough to be useful. I was still hoping for more overall coverage like the attachment above I finally figured out how to post.

I just know from experience that if you have a close fitting front fender, you'll want to stay away from mud. Or else the machine won't go forward anymore.

IMG_3105.jpg

StratTuner, I like it, strong work. That is the closest I have seen to being long enough to be useful. I was still hoping for more overall coverage like the attachment above I finally figured out how to post.

Is there a link that that photo? It's interesting. You'd like a covering that completely covers half the wheel on both sides?
This seems like something you could make yourself.

Use cardboard to do the mock up. Get that as close to perfect as you can, then cut the same shape from black plastic.
I like to use the waste basket (Rubbermaid) Walmart sells.

Attaching it to the existing fender can be done with pop rivets. That would require drilling holes in the OEM fender.
Using zip ties to attach it to the bracket that holds the reflectors would be less permanent but low on the elegant scale.
You'd still need to fasten it in at least two different places or it will flap in the wind at speed.

Is the goal to keep the wheel and the brake caliper cleaner?

Is there a link that that photo? It's interesting.
Is the goal to keep the wheel and the brake caliper cleaner?

The photo is an MSPaint mashup of the NC700x and a Buel Battlewing. Every time I try to post the link or use the url for the image my post doesn't appear.

The original impetus was the strip of mud down the center of the radiator after my last non paved ride. So not being one to under-engineer anything I got to thinking that aero and thus mpg/range could be improved by covering more of the front wheel, and since I was going for a whole fender anyway why not add the wings to give the fork seals some protection at the same time.

www dot racing dot systemstrategies dot com /NC700X/fendermockup.png

Last edited:
Back