• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which tyres (tires?)?

And as far as the tire of the same size looking smaller on the NC, it has to do with the rim width. A wider rim will make the same size tire wider, a thinner rim will make it look smaller. Might be possible to go to a wider tire for the look you want, but I haven't looked into that at all, just speculation.

In responses we should remember this is a global forum with a variety of countries or jurisdictions represented.
In the USA I can fit any tire brand or size that will fit but in some countries only OEM approved tires pass inspection and other choices render the bike unridable on public roads.

Seriously?
They can tell you what tires you can use?
Did the EU pass that law that banned any aftermarket exhausts, too?

I have the Metz on mine, don't have enough seat time yet for a real opinion. With that said, last time I went out I had a few times when the rear slid on me. I'm not blaming the tires as it was the day after an ice storm and there was gravel EVERYWHERE, but a nice trail right down the center of the lanes. Not fun.

The hugger on my CBR has a big spot where it rubber the tire and melted, wrong size tire was the problem there. The CBR uses a 160/60/17 tire and the shop I went to only had a 160/65/17. Normally I wouldn't have put that tire on but I was 500 miles away from home, in the middle of nowhere and I needed the tire right then. Never had a problem though because of it, you can't really see it unless you're looking for it, and the rest of the plastic on the bike is all scratched up with a few broken pieces anyway.

Don't know if the bikes get different ranges of tyres - Mine's got Metzelers, will have to see which, and although they are a great brand, mine hasn't given me much confidence though. They feel a bit hard and slippery. Haven't had any spills, but I like to have confidence in the stuff that is keeping me from seeing my arse... Probably a hard compound because their main aim with this bike is economy and longevity? I prefer sticky ones, hospitals are more expensive than fuel (so far)

Saw an NC700X with knobblies on on a Sunday run - looked pretty sexy - can't remember what they were, but I will look into that when the time comes...

I'm astounded by the good things that people are saying about the Metzlers.
My NC750SA came with the Metzler tyres front and back.
The rear tyre is fine in the dry but it is the worst tyre I have ever had in the wet.
My first experience in the rain was when I accelerated from a standing start at an intersection, the rear end broke loose. Lucky I had one foot down. I thought it might have been oil on the road but it does it all the time when it rains.
If I am caught in the rain now I ride as gently as possible and try not to lean her over too much as I don't know when it will break loose around a corner. It hasn't done so far but that is because I drive like grannie in the wet.
I talked to a guy at work last week who has an NC700 he says he has exactly the same problem.
I've done 10,000km's on my bike and the tyres don't have a lot of wear (which is in itself suggestive of a compound that is too hard), they look like they could do another 10,000kms easy, but I want to change the rear one well before the wet season here in Brisbane Australia (we have monsoon type rain in summer).
I came on the forum to see if there were any good pointers about wet weather tyres but in all honesty I couldn't take a recommendation from someone who thinks the Metzlers are an acceptable tyre in the rain.
Surely, there must be others who have experienced the same issue with the Metzlers?

Last edited:
Daughters NC700X came with Metzlers. Squared off after 6500 miles. Front doesn't look to bad. Before we go out west I will be putting on Pilot Road 3s or 4s.

Well the garage refused to fit an anakee three rear with a pr4 front .went with a pr4 rear and in this wet Irish summer there like being on rails on wet corners...has anyone any experience of riding mixed radial crossply tyres ?

Back