• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which tools do I need to change my own tires and adjust chain?

TomInOregon

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I bought the Cycle Hill tire changer and the roll-on mount for it (the receiver hitch mount is apparently no longer available). I have a couple of rear tires (TKC80 and Mitas MC60) on the way to me now. I have never changed a motorcycle tire before. What other tools/supplies do I need in order to begin changing my own tires at home? I believe the Cycle Hill changer has tire lube with it. What tools do I need in order to remove the rear wheel, replace the tire, replace the wheel and adjust the chain? Opinions on good, low cost tire balancers (not Harbor Freight) and dynabeads/Ride-on are also welcome. I want to make sure I have everything I need on hand before I change my first tire in a month or so. I do have a centerstand, but haven't installed it yet. Thanks in Advance!

Tom

Last edited:
Assuming you bought the tire changer new, it should have come with all the tools you need to change a motorcycle tire. You mentioned the lube, too, which is a must. Does the changer have an instruction book or video? There should be videos on line for the Cycle Hill and for the NoMar that would be very helpful.

Three important things to note:
1) The lube is very important. Use it sparingly but be sure to use it on the tire bead, rim, and tool.
2) You cannot, repeat, cannot get the tire bead over the rim unless the opposite side bead is down in the rim well. The tire bead does not stretch. It's all about positioning it on the rim that allows it to be mounted or dismounted.
3) If it's too much effort to get the tire on or off, you are doing it wrong. More force is not the answer. Review the technique. See 1 and 2.

A few tools you will need is a valve core removal tool, and an air compressor or at least a big portable air tank. If a bead breaker is part of the Cycle Hill, you're good, otherwise you will need to buy or build a bead breaker.

As for motorcycle wrenching tools, it's all standard metric hand tools. Do be sure you include a torque wrench in the mix that can measure at least up to the axle nut torque value. The procedure for removing both wheels and adjusting the chain on the NC is right in the owner's manual that came with the bike.

When you have your center stand mounted and using it during service, it's good to have two chocks to chock the wheel that you're not working on, just to be sure you don't roll the bike off the center stand while your wrenching on the axles and such. To get the front wheel off, you'll need a jack or some blocks to put under the engine.

My balancer is a Harbor Freight, so I can't advise further on that. I don't believe in balancing with beads or liquids. It's good old fashioned weights for me.

Last edited:
A plank of wood and some zip ties and two good long tyre irons ,some old pieces of hose and soapy water. A pump,preferably a compressor..thats the tyre sorted . The given tools are fine for chain adjustment .you will need a hex tool for front wheel removal
lots you tube tutorials for everything.
Balancing just requires a simple means of hanging the wheel and putting weights opposite to the lowest point until the wheel spins with no set lowest point.
Sais he who ain't tried it yet but am going to on my next tyre !
Caveat..i will have a lift available to a garage when I fail

What size is the wrench? I need 2, right?
What is required torque for rear axle?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What size is the wrench? I need 2, right?
What is required torque for rear axle?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The torque spec for my bike's rear axle nut is in the owner's manual. Maybe your manual shows it for your model.

Tom..........being your first time .....the best advice is get help from someone with experience. It would make things a whole lot easier.

That said.........if your fighting with the tire mount or dismount, sweating and swearing, scratching the rim or tearing the rubber on the tire bead area........your doing it wrong.....technique and lube is the key.

Last edited:
Well, I got it done with the help of a friend. We used his Harbor Freight changer and replaced my TKC-80 rear (9,400 miles) with a new Mitas MC60 Getaway. I could have probably got another 1,000 miles out of it, but wanted more tread with snow/ice possible any time. We installed the centerstand and my friend walked me through the whole process step by step. His Harbor Freight changer wasn't bolted down, so we had the additional fun of holding the base down with our feet while working with it. The TKC-80 came off pretty easy, but the Mitas was a beast to get on the rim. The bottom side of the tire kept straying toward the outside of the rim, so we had to keep adjusting it. Once it was mounted, he showed me how to balance it with the Harbor Freight balancer. That was so easy that I am going to pick up one of those and just stick with weights. I have only 3 miles on the Mitas rear, so I don't yet have any feedback, but so far so good. I still have a TKC-80 on the front, so I can see how that combo works. Thank you to all for your advice!

Back