• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's the farthest you've gone on a tank of fuel?

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was noticing based on the fuel gauge bar progression that I had a pretty efficient tank going so far. The flashing bar then appeared at 238 miles - not a personal record but looking pretty good. I decided to see if I could get to 300 miles on this tank. (My previous high was 296 miles before fueling, but I was nowhere near empty that time).

So I tossed a half gallon of spare fuel on board in the RotopaX, just in case the mission failed, and set off for some hyper-miling to get to 300+.

Success! I made it to a station at just past 300 miles on the trip meter (carefully calculated; not by chance). The most I could cram in the tank was 3.551 gallons from an extremely cooperative pump nozzle. I'd guess if I'd continued another 12 miles or so she would have been empty. Fuel economy was 84.8 MPG, which is respectable, but by no means a record. BTW, all measures are in stupid USA units.

Has anyone else taken the range challenge?

It did happen, and here are pictures!:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a scaredy cat, a little over 200 is as far as I've pushed it.

Our freeways run at 75 to 80 mph much of the time, my best single run was through part of the Sierras where most of the ride was 45 mph or lower, averaged 84.6 mpg.

I rarely ride mine in a way that would get me anywhere near 300. 225 is about the best I have ever gotten out of a tank...

<--------- green with envy

Haven't hit the magical 400 km (248.5 miles) mark yet, and really doubt I ever will :(

Which is why I need to cheat with fuel cells and jerry cans, lol:eek:

I commute 100 miles a day and I don't get a chance to "hyper-mile" so to speak. I need to get to work!

I put in 3.2 gallons at 212 miles, almost religiously. That's as far as I've gone on a tank.

The best I've ever done is 245 miles and I believe I added 3.2 gallons of fuel which puts me about 76 MPG. This was done on a day where I was leisurely driving around on back roads. I don't do that often. Most of my miles are commuting miles where I get 61MPG (in summer).

what was your riding weight? That is, yourself plus all the gear you carry. It seems like that would start to matter at the high end of MPG.

80+ MPG is the most I've ever go, and that comes from filling up at 8000 ft. above sea level then riding slowly home to 1000 ft.... all downhill.

My weight before safety gear = 168 lb. But I think weight has little, if any, effect. It's all about speed and wind drag, while managing throttle use and RPM.

I got 230 one time and still had a half gl.

I didn't have my Rotopax with me because I wasn't planning on going that far into the country. I hit the blinking light and went another 30 miles before filling up.

My weight before safety gear = 168 lb. But I think weight has little, if any, effect. It's all about speed and wind drag, while managing throttle use and RPM.

Based on my results after 3-ish years, I totally agree. The highest mpg ever recorded by me, was when I had the most weight ever on my bike. My fully loaded Trax pannier and top case set, with 2 weeks worth of camping gear, extra fuel containers, full frunk, full tank bag, and so on.

I think I had favourable well, everything, on that magic tank, lol. No big elevation changes, no headwind, and probably a tailwind, middle of the summer, and a relatively slow steady speed with zero traffic. (average speed was probably around 60 mph)

Mine seems to be radically affected by speed first, and second, in town versus highway.

I got a little over 84 US mpg on a full tank's worth of distance, and I'm about 250+ with gear on.

<--------- green with envy

Haven't hit the magical 400 km (248.5 miles) mark yet, and really doubt I ever will :(

Which is why I need to cheat with fuel cells and jerry cans, lol:eek:

me too, somehow when my dashboard start flashing I panic and go nearliest station :)
Usually I find out then I have still around 4 liters left what would give in total 400 km.
Anyway when I ride more dynamically like I like it, MPG is no longer that great.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the section of today's ride that did not include much freeway I got 86.2 mpg, a new high for me.
On the freeway section getting up there I got ~64 mpg, I haven't filled up after the quick run home.

The most I have got out of a tank is 260 miles at 3.59 gallons. My commute has been 75-80 mph lately so I've been filling up around 200 miles.
Maybe if I can get some free time, I can try for a 300 mile tank.
Good job!

Best I got was 258 miles, put in 3.116 US gallons, got 82.8 mpg. Was on Blueridge Parkway east of Mnt Mitchell and then realized I forgot to get gas before I got on the parkway. The most I ever coasted in order to get to Asheville to get gas.

I'm a wimp, when the fuel light starts flashing, I find a gas station!

Also my NCX is outfitted with lots of farkles; Madstad windshield, crash bars, skid plate and panniers. I'm lucky to see 60MPG!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anybody run out of fuel completely to see such record distance?
Seems like OCR runs out about once a week. Gives credibility to his claim that you can meet the nicest people when you run out of gas. ;)

He still has a fuel pump after 60,000+ miles so also debunks the myth that running out of fuel overheats the pump and destroys it.

Back