• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's the best engine crash guard out there?

There are quite a few options out there for engine guards at this point. I'm aware of Givi, SW-Motech, Puig, Kijima, Mmoto, Fehling, and Hepco & Becker at least. My question is what's best and why? I've read a number of threads on this subject, but still haven't reached a conclusion.

I've got a 2015 NC700X DCT, and I would like to add highway pegs at some point.

All recommendations, thoughts, and pertinent information is welcome. Thank you.

There is no best. They're just alike but different. This topic can go around and around. What specifically is important to you in an engine guard? If you lay out your priorities, I'd think some suggestions meeting those criteria could be made. Outside of that, like an oil thread, we'll just rehash the same stuff that is already posted repeatedly in this and other threads.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/9131-best-crash-bar-highway-pegs.html
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/838-engine-crash-guards-givi-sw-motech-hepco-becker.html
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/4982-what-engine-bars.html

Last edited:
There is no best. They're just alike but different. This topic can go around and around. What specifically is important to you in an engine guard? If you lay out your priorities, I'd think some suggestions meeting those criteria could be made. Outside of that, like an oil thread, we'll just rehash the same stuff that is already posted repeatedly in this and other threads.

My priority is protecting as much of the bike as possible in the event the shiny side does not remain upright... I'm less concerned about how they look. I'm also less inclined to seek out replacement hardware because a manufacturer doesn't bother to include it.

My priority is protecting as much of the bike as possible in the event the shiny side does not remain upright... I'm less concerned about how they look. I'm also less inclined to seek out replacement hardware because a manufacturer doesn't bother to include it.

I bought the SW Motech bars for this reason ... they protect as much as any on the market, and SW includes the correct longer bolts to mount to the frame -- unlike some others, like the Givi bars, that want you to use the stock bolts (which lessen the amount of thread engaged) or make you go find longer bolts yourself.

My priority is protecting as much of the bike as possible in the event the shiny side does not remain upright...
Lucky you ;-)

I've already done all the research for a DCT. You want these. Seriously.

IMG_2522-L.jpg

IMG_2516-L.jpg

Greg - Yes, I can get the cover off, hard to see in that photo but there is plenty of room.

Midnight Rider - Can't give you info on the skid plate...

Id_rider...maybe this is a stupid question, but what brand crash bars are those red ones you have and which panniers are these? I love your setup and I don't even have this bike yet.

I have the kijima guards. Probably not idea for a higher speed incident. More suitable for low speed crash or a tipping over in a parking mishap. but I like the extended set up more than the ones that hug the bike. easy install too, no intereference with aftermarket skid plate.

the best crash bars is that you dont crash!
no matter what is best ,if crash hard nothing is going to save the bike full stop.
crash bars will save the bike in slow spills but thats it.

Hey Id_rider, I hate to bother you but if you do ever go with a skid plate could you please let us know if it fits or not? I'm very curious, as I believe others are too, as to if a skid plate could be mounted along with the mmoto bars. By overlaying pictures that I've been attempting to do, it looks as if the SW Motech plate should fit. I noticed a bolt position for the DCT model guard bar and the skid plate mount on the right side of the bike near the brake lever would have to share the same mounting point. That I guess could be solved with a longer bolt and shouldn't be huge deal I would hope. The main kicker though is the bar that goes across the front at the bottom. An AltRider skid plate protrudes out too far to fit the engine guard on by the way it looks but the SW Motech however fits roughly the same area and space confines of the underbody's original plastic protector. By looking at two photos side by side the SW Motech skid plate should most likely fit. If the one bolt point on the right side is a problem though then I should be able to purchase the manual transmission version of the engine guard and just use the skid plates protection instead I would assume, it's not like the two bikes have totally different frames, one just has a bar to protect the DCT housing and both should mount up exactly the same except for one extra bar. Anyways, I appreciate that you shared with the community the bike protection that you use and if anybody else has mmoto guards on their bike, especially with a skid plate, I would love to hear about them! Thanks!

Last edited:
I run the Givi and refer to it as an engine guard only; never the c word, although the R/H guard on my NC would tell you differently.

Looks sweet

Lucky you ;-)

I've already done all the research for a DCT. You want these. Seriously.

IMG_2522-L.jpg

IMG_2516-L.jpg

This looks so much more extensive than anything else around.

If it's ok to ask -

Do you still have them on?
Any qualms / hairs to split?
What maintenance work do they need to be removed for (e.g. valve adjustment)?

Cheers

That Ukrainian makes some fine looking bars, i like his work. I pm'd him once and he said he lives/works in Kharkov, the same city my brother lives in(about 3M people). :{)

Here is an old picture of mine. I have the Givi light bar and crash bars with the sliders! :{)
Shad seats installed2 June 21st 2018.jpg

That Ukrainian makes some fine looking bars, i like his work. I pm'd him once and he said he lives/works in Kharkov, the same city my brother lives in(about 3M people). :{)

Here is an old picture of mine. I have the Givi light bar and crash bars with the sliders! :{)
View attachment 38680

Nice! Did you ever need to take them off?

Back