• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's the best engine crash guard out there?

Danimal

Reaction score
Visit site
This will be mt next add on purchase. I want reliability, sturdiness, ease if install, and not look like my ex wife.

Any suggestions folks. Please post pictures.

Thanks in advance,

Don't have any, myself. I'm hoping someone will reply who has the polymer side-case covers available on a few websites.

it would be difficult to answer this question, it seems, without having all of them and crash testing each one.
I have none, for example, but will probably go with the Givi Bars just because they're inexpensive and ... I don't know any better.

It's safe to say having crash bars is better than having nothing.

I don't know your ex wife so it's difficult to answer.

I have Kappa bars which are the same as Givi but without the little plastic logo thing. They are a few bucks cheaper.

All the bars probably work and install fine. It depends what you prefer in looks, price, etc. Being able to say which is best would require buying, installing, and crash testing each model. I doubt anyone has done that.

Last edited:
I have the SW-Motech bars and have tested them several times. For some reason it is always on the right side. The powder coat finish is holding up well but they have bent to the point of probably needing to replace them soon. Figure I’ll go with SW-Motech again since they have prevented any major damage.

I have the SW-Motech bars and have tested them several times. For some reason it is always on the right side. The powder coat finish is holding up well but they have bent to the point of probably needing to replace them soon. Figure I’ll go with SW-Motech again since they have prevented any major damage.

sw motech for me. they look great install easy and luckily i dont know if they work!

Not being glib about it... but "the best" bars are the ones that work when the bike takes a tumble. Other than that, it really comes down to what you can afford and what you think looks best on your bike. They all install in a somewhat similar manner, so that usually isn't a factor. Just my opinion.

I can only speak for what I have, but the Givis were relatively easy to install and protected the bike on both sides (once in road salt and once in soft dirt). They also make a decent place to kick my feet up when I stop for lunch.

So after 10 posts you have your answer: the absolute best crash bars bars are HepcoandBecker/GiviKappa/SW-Motech/TCI bars. Or take your pick.

I have the Hepco and Becker ones on my NC !!! I love the look and protection they provide !!! (although untested !!! LOL) Now I have a spot to mount my off-road lights when I get some !!!

Givi for me. Very robust and non intrusive. The mounting points are solid.

I have the SW Motech also they were tested on the WABDR and on my trip afterwards, and I believe it was the reason I still rode my bike home, the bar that connects the two halfs together really adds support.

010.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have crash bars AND the Honda light bar mounted on their NC? Any problems? Are some crash bars incompatible with the Honda light bar?

Isn't there a thread on some crash bars that screw into the engine case? That would defeat the purpose if it cracked the case. I haven't seen any up close so don't know how they attach.
It seems I remember something about that. I may have to do a search - leaving work right now....so later

I was wrong but this post by Beemerphile is worth repeating for those that may be interested in the mind of the "gone one".
Second post-
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/414-givi-engine-bars.html

Last edited:
Best choice for engine guards

There are quite a few options out there for engine guards at this point. I'm aware of Givi, SW-Motech, Puig, Kijima, Mmoto, Fehling, and Hepco & Becker at least. My question is what's best and why? I've read a number of threads on this subject, but still haven't reached a conclusion.

I've got a 2015 NC700X DCT, and I would like to add highway pegs at some point.

All recommendations, thoughts, and pertinent information is welcome. Thank you.

Back