• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's needed?

rugerfan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope this is in the right place. I'm planning on buying a new NC700X soon, probably a 2016, with all available Honda accessories installed by dealer. So what else is truly needed to finish the bike? From reading on here, and previous experience, I can think of rear tire hugger, front fender extender, radiator guard, driving/fog lights, and probably replacement seat. Anything else? I'm a light user of my motorcycles, don't put on many miles and almost never at night or in inclement weather, but I do want those options covered. Please let me know what you folks think.

Well, you can certainly ride the bike as is. It is a fine commuter / fun bike. I think almost everyone on here would agree that a radiator guard and a better seat are basics.

If you ride in the cold you will want a windshield, hand guards, heated grips and possibly a heated seat. The factory heated grips are the best option.

If you ride on rough roads or off road you will want a skid plate, radiator guard, hand guards, crash bars, and eventually better tires and suspension.

I added the Denali D2 lights, mounted on the Denali bar. Also some cheap forward pegs, mounted on my crash bars.

If you ride long distances you will want luggage and maybe a throttle lock. Or maybe a bigger bike.

I like everything SW Motech makes for this bike. Most members here seem happiest with the Madstad screen. The best seat is clearly the Russell Day Long. You can make this into a $13,000 bike if you keep adding stuff.

Last edited:
Riding told me what farkles I needed, and I waited until I had some time and and knew for sure. Local guy told me his Givi Hugger was non-essential, indeed he wished he had not purchased it. The Extenda is a sure thing though; I've been meaning to finish my DIY radiator guard but since getting the Extenda I'm not seeing any urgency as long as I stay on pavement. I don't do much night riding so I haven't gotten aux lighting. I'm not keen on most of the Honda stuff for price/performance compared to aftermarket solutions, and putting a power socket into the frunk that makes the fuse so hard to get to seems like a bad way to go. I fixed my seat by raising the front about an inch (there's a mod thread here somewhere with a lot of variant methods). A Sit & Fly Seat Cover for $20 gave me all I need for comfort, but this varies per rider. If I was going to spend more on this I'd look at the Shad Comfort Seat or possibly the DIY kit supplied by Seat Concepts as that has worked out very well on my WR250R.

Last edited by a moderator:
My order of purchases

Madstad screen
Fenda extenda
Heated grips
Electrical box and outlet for heated jacket
Hand guards.
I ordered Givi trekker cases and racks with the bike...asking for a discount which i received.

My bike sat on the show room for awhile, so it was discounted too.

I would wire up a usb and or cigarette outlet in the frunk from scratch so it can be 5 amp instead of 1. If you do your own maintenance at all a center stand is a good investment. A set of hand guards that have a medal bar not just plastic like bark busters (there are other brands, non are coming to mind) can save your hand if you hit something and at the very least save your controls in a tip over. After hearing our radiator is around $500 I ordered a fender extender and I've been looking for a cheap radiator guard. Especially given the riding you described I wouldn't recommend a rear hugger, bad deal on bang for your buck

Just to be contrary.. :)

My suggestions would be to ride the bike and see what you would like to improve. Maybe based on the amount you ride you won't need to do anything.

I think the windscreen and the seat are probably the most popular changes. Everything else if preference. I tend to run on the thrifty side..

Only you know what you will use. If you don't camp, you won't need camping goods. If you work on your own bike, a center stand is a must. Accessories make a bike your bike for your needs.

...planning on buying a new NC700X soon, probably a 2016, with all available Honda accessories installed by dealer. So what else is truly needed to finish the bike? From reading on here, and previous experience, I can think of rear tire hugger, front fender extender, radiator guard, driving/fog lights, and probably replacement seat. Anything else? I'm a light user of my motorcycles, don't put on many miles and almost never at night or in inclement weather, but I do want those options covered. Please let me know what you folks think.

After I bought my 2016 and rode for a few weeks I found that even though I had space for a helmet in the frunk I needed more space, so a luggage rack and top box became critical.
The seat is HORRIBLE so I'll be changing that out when I can afford it. I'm in the mid-west so there aren't many custom seat shops near me so it costs extra with shipping.
I want to get metal hand guards. I've already had to replace one brake lever and I'd like to insure that I don't have to pay for another.
With thick cold weather gloves on the grips feel like twigs in my hands so I'm having Kuryakyn ISO Grips installed.
These are the first NEEDS that I would recommend to anyone.

I put my bike in storage for the winter, so I don't have to worry about heating grips and seat but If you will be riding in the cold I'd suggest getting those.
I mainly use my bike to commute so I ride streets all the time, so I'm not going to get a skid plate or rear huggers.
I'm considering a radiator guard or front fender extender for that occasional piece of broken pavement.
I may get a windshield and tires with better grip but those are for later.
Crash bars are a good idea but I don't know if I will.
I already have a lift so I don't need a center stand.
Wiring up a USB sometime in the future.
For me the lights are fine.

Like Hank said, "You can make this into a $13,000 bike if you keep adding stuff."
How much stuff do you really need? If it fits in your budget that's great but you don't have to spend a whole lot more to enjoy your bike.

Last edited:
I clean and lube my chain every other fill-up. That makes the center stand the only upgrade I couldn't live without. Next to this, all other upgrades were farkles IMO.

That being said, I agree with those who said ride before you start farkling. It'll save you a ton of dough and show you what you need to spend the money on first.

Perhaps you have researched the Honda Accessories and determined that they are the best choices for your needs, but if not, them I would suggest you look elsewhere for a few of the items.

The Honda touring windscreen has the potential to make your ride noisier. The stock windshield will direct the wind at your upper chest, but the Honda screen will direct it more at your helmet. Depending on your height, this may cause excess noise and buffeting. There are a few aftermaket screens that can direct the air flow over your helmet and give you a quieter ride.

The Honda 12 volt outlet in the frunk is fused at only 1 amp and if installed per the directions, the fuse will be hidden behind the left side panel. Removing the panel is a bit of a hassle. The 1 amp capacity is not very useful. There are ways to install a much more useful 12 volt outlet at a fraction of the Honda cost.

The wind deflectors might or might not be effective, but they aren't much of a piece of plastic for what they cost.

There are many aftermarket luggage choices. The Honda units aren't necessarily bad, but they will fit only on this bike. If you later get a different bike, you can't transfer the luggage to the new bike.

I would rate the basic must-haves as:
Honda Centerstand (should be standard equipment as was the case with most all bikes in the past)
Aftermarket windshield
Handlebar risers
Seat improvement.

A fender extender is also high on the list because the OEM front fender is flawed and too short to protect the radiator.

Be aware that the official Honda accessories can be purchased for 25-28% off list price and free shipping any day of the week from certain internet sites. So if the dealer tries to wow you with a 10% off deal, well it's not much of a deal.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I personally do really like the looks of the Honda top box and bags. I'm a bit of a gadget nut and like everything to be perfect, so the Honda stuff will be my pick. Interesting about the outlet in the frunk, I thought it was a normal 12V cigarette lighter type. I'll have to look again. I'm just average height and know already that the Honda windshield is not good after recently riding a NC belonging to a friend of a friend's friend. I can already see the shelves in the garage getting full of stuff that won't work, but it's happened with every other m/c I've had and the boss is used to it. Edit/ I just finished reading some other posts about the seat and pegs. I remember that the reach to the handlebars was quite long and uncomfortable, and I was cramped in the legs. I'm only 32" inseam, same sleeve length, so I'm having some serious second thoughts about this m/c if so many people are uncomfortable with it, and I was for the short ride I had. Maybe it's time to back up, look around, and not make any rash decisions.

Last edited:
If you have not tried other bikes then I agree with you.
This is a big investment and it would be very disappointing to invest that sum of money to have buyers remorse.
I would recommend trying other machines.
You can only get so much from reviews.
And what if 100 people love the machine and 100 people dislike the machine?
How is that interrupted by you?

I would also recommend as a lot of others to buy and ride for a little bit before spending all the money on accessories.
Some are more on the need side and some are more on the want side.
Sometimes you will get a little off the cost of an accessory when purchased with the bike from the dealer.
But dealer costs seem to be much higher than aftermarket prices.
And has been stated by some, buying a Honda part directly for that specific bike generally cannot be removed and placed on another bike.
A Givi trunk and panniers can be placed on most any other machine.
I thought long and hard about Honda brand trunks and bags but heard how the Honda trunk sits forward and impedes the passengers seating area.
Yes I have the "Monk Syndrome" as my wife states and all must match, be in the right quantities, and be just perfect.
But I decided me having to have "Honda" all over my accessories was not really necessary and went with aftermarket.
Guess what, whether on the fly or stopped in traffic or even parked in some parking lot somewhere I do not feel the shame of Givi showing on my top trunk.

In the long run it is yours and you must make it like you want it.
You are the one riding it and you are the one paying for it.

No matter what you decide, ride safe!
Of all the things on the bike, you are the one not replaceable.

And forgot to mention - I am also a Ruger fan!

God bless!!

Michael

Interesting about the outlet in the frunk, I thought it was a normal 12V cigarette lighter type. I'll have to look again.

It is a normal 12 v cigarette lighter outlet. However it is fed by small wire and is fused at 1 ampere. That means you can plug in a phone. Any device much larger will blow the fuse. People that are not mechanically inclined have to go to the dealer for repair because the fuse is not easily accessible.

Secondly, it is switched with the key. That means if your phone or whatever is charging, it only does so when the bike is switched on. Also, because of this, you can't use it as a port to maintain your bike's battery charge during times of non-use.

Its a a matter of opinion, for sure, but there are many thing Honda doesn't get right for me and others. Often Honda cuts corners to save costs in order to keep the machine price low. Accessories like the wind deflectors are just ways to generate high profit margins after the motorcycle sale is made. Honda packages the accessories in such a way to increase prices. To simply install their 12 volt outlet requires purchase of three different accessory items. There is such a huge aftermaket for non-Honda parts because many of the aftermarket products are better suited for the job, in my opinion.

If the ergoes of the NC are not right for you, try a ride on the CB500X. I found it more comfortable than the NC700X. However it doesn't have a frunk and the engine needs to be rev'd a bit higher. It's a blast to ride, though.

Last edited:
I clean and lube my chain every other fill-up. That makes the center stand the only upgrade I couldn't live without.

I just use a jack where the link connects. Same way I do on my WR250R. Both get Dupont Teflon Chain-Saver at approximately the same interval. Very clean, which especially for off-road seems a huge asset.

30914d1472502076-oil-your-chain-without-center-stand-2016-08-29-13;29;17s-jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When i first got my bike, I installed a radiator guard, fender extender, a two brothers exhaust (purely cosmetic) and ordered a rear hugger. I also had a Fuzeblock installed and an aftermarket 12v outlet to avoid the oem outlet issue. SW Motech crash bars came next, which do work, I can tell you from experience. I then added givi e22 side cases bought used, and eventually added handlebar risers, an MRA Vario windscreen (I had tired two different sizes of national cycle which did not work for me) and SW Motech footpegs. I did not have a center stand and I've probably forgotten a few things. I was going to install heated grips, a skidplate, and handguards next, but that's on hold at the moment, and I was dabbling in off road.

It is a normal 12 v cigarette lighter outlet. However it is fed by small wire and is fused at 1 ampere. That means you can plug in a phone. Any device much larger will blow the fuse. People that are not mechanically inclined have to go to the dealer for repair because the fuse is not easily accessible.

Secondly, it is switched with the key. That means if your phone or whatever is charging, it only does so when the bike is switched on. Also, because of this, you can't use it as a port to maintain your bike's battery charge during times of non-use.

Its a a matter of opinion, for sure, but there are many thing Honda doesn't get right for me and others. Often Honda cuts corners to save costs in order to keep the machine price low. Accessories like the wind deflectors are just ways to generate high profit margins after the motorcycle sale is made. Honda packages the accessories in such a way to increase prices. To simply install their 12 volt outlet requires purchase of three different accessory items. There is such a huge aftermaket for non-Honda parts because many of the aftermarket products are better suited for the job, in my opinion.

If the ergoes of the NC are not right for you, try a ride on the CB500X. I found it more comfortable than the NC700X. However it doesn't have a frunk and the engine needs to be rev'd a bit higher. It's a blast to ride, though.
The being able to charge a phone us up for debate, the previous owner if my 2012 had the HONDA outlet installed by the dealership before delivery and I have a fast charger that I found out actually pulls up to 3amps. Worked fine for a couple of weeks though then fuse blew I replaced the fuse on the weekend (almost an hour long job the first time taking off the plastic) and the replacement 1amp fuse blew almost immediately, that's when I looked into how much power my phone charger used. For a little over $10 I wired a inline fuse a water proof on/off switch (for when I want to leave something small charging on my motorcycle with the key off) and a whole new cigarette outlet, I liked it so much I did the same with a dual USB outlet so I have no shortage of power sources for my gadgets on road trips

I have a 6" power pigtail directly connected, coming into the top right interior of my frunk, for connecting a DieHard battery charger/maintainer. I suppose this SAE connector could be used to power or charge anything on an SAE connector. Eventually as needed, I'll bring some fused power out to my bars for other stuff. Right now though, just don't need it.

I also installed an SAE lead into the frunk for a battery tender.
I suppose I could use it to charge electronics, but as noted, it is not switched. The possibility of forgetting it and coming back to a dead bike is unappealing.
I am definitely not an electrician. Apple says the phone charger is 1 amp or less, the iPad charger is 2.1.
However the phone will apparently accept a 2.1 charge from an iPad charger without harming the phone.
So will the phone try to take more than the frunk fuse can handle and blow the fuse? I do not know. I used a 12v to iPhone cord I had for a few seconds just to confirm it worked.

Back