• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What Tyres?

I had a post on the calculated mileage for Continentals on the first pair. Those went about 12K, as I recall.
the current set will do better, so without looking at my service record on tires (i do keep one), I would say 12 to 15K.

This is the mileage I also get on the Continental Motions.

OK, you Conti Motion fans have about got me convinced to try a set but I have one reservation. My biggest pet peeve is a lack of a wear indicator of some type down the center of the tire. I commute and do lots of highway miles so I'm going to flat spot pretty much any tire. Do you find yourself guessing when they're done, or is there more tread towards the center than it looks like?

I hate replacing tires early because I'm not sure, but I'd also sure hate to be 300 miles from home and notice the cords started peeking out at me...

trey

OK, you Conti Motion fans have about got me convinced to try a set but I have one reservation. My biggest pet peeve is a lack of a wear indicator of some type down the center of the tire. I commute and do lots of highway miles so I'm going to flat spot pretty much any tire. Do you find yourself guessing when they're done, or is there more tread towards the center than it looks like?

I hate replacing tires early because I'm not sure, but I'd also sure hate to be 300 miles from home and notice the cords started peeking out at me...

trey
The Conti Motions come with the TWI indicators (much like the Michelins use). you can find small letters "TWI" along the sidewall, and then diretly up from that is the Tread Wear Indicator. It's inside the treads, so I usually look for the TWI that comes closest to the center of the tire.

I forget what the received wisdome is about TWIs. You're meant to replace when the tire surface comes within 1mm of the TWI's surface....as I recall. I'm letting the tire go down to meet the TWI this time.... just 'cause... I want to see how far I get if I let the two surfaces meet.

I ride exclusively on paved roads and Interstates. For me, the front always wears faster than the rear. They're cheap enough that I replace them in pairs.

Last edited:

trey

Tires are cheap insurance, never wait til you see the cords...

I ride exclusively on paved roads and Interstates. For me, the front always wears faster than the rear. They're cheap enough that I replace them in pairs.

Good deal, thanks for the feedback. I found a couple pictures online for our size and the tread-less middle portion doesn't look as wide as I was imagining. Interesting the front wears quicker than the rear, I don't think I've ever had a set of tires do that on me.

Tires are cheap insurance, never wait til you see the cords...

Sure, I don't necessarily try to run it 'to the cords', but I've had some tires like these old Metzler Z8 that you plain didn't know if you had 500 miles left, or 2000 miles. I hate that.

37282_7.jpg

trey

....but I've had some tires like these old Metzler Z8 that you plain didn't know if you had 500 miles left, or 2000 miles. I hate that.
Some of the tread reaches near center so you should be able to clearly tell when the life of the tire is almost used up
0000-Continental-Conti-Motion-Sport-Touring-Radial-Rear-Tire---_zoom.jpg

trey

Most manufactures recommend changing a tire with it is worn to 1/32 of an inch of tread remaining. If you insert a penny into a groove in the center of your tire, 1/32 of an inch is right at the top of Lincoln's head.

Tire-Penny.jpg

Some of the tread reaches near center so you should be able to clearly tell when the life of the tire is almost used up
View attachment 21432

That is what I like about the PR4. There is no questioning where the wear bar is located. It is easy to spot and is very near the center of the tire.

For me, the front always wears faster than the rear. They're cheap enough that I replace them in pairs.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before. What the heck are you doing? LOL. Just giving you a bad time but seriously. I'm surprised.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before. What the heck are you doing? LOL. Just giving you a bad time but seriously. I'm surprised.

Not that this is necessarily the case for Strat, but riders who push the front and/or are heavy on the brakes can wear out the front fairly quickly. This coming from my time as a track rider, which none of us are... at least not on the NC :eek:

Not that this is necessarily the case for Strat, but riders who push the front and/or are heavy on the brakes can wear out the front fairly quickly. This coming from my time as a track rider, which none of us are... at least not on the NC :eek:
I have a question on behalf of those of us who are less experienced. What is "push the front" and how does one accomplish that?

I have a question on behalf of those of us who are less experienced. What is "push the front" and how does one accomplish that?

When riding track (or aggressively in general) it's important to use your core/legs to hold your body position rather than resting all the weight on your wrists. Having your weight bias forward will cause you to put too much emphasis on the front end of the bike. You can feel the tire providing more feedback than desired (but you really have to know what you're feeling to know this is what is occurring) and this is what I'm referring to when I say "push the front." It also usually happens when you enter a corner with too much speed and you have to work to get back to the desired line/speed combo for the corner.

All of that being said, the upright bars on the NC keep your weight bias from being too far forward. I have never pushed the front on the NC except when riding very agressively. Yes, you can drag knee on the NC although I wouldn't suggest trying it :cool:

This is all getting a bit off-topic from this thread

Back