• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What is this thing near my bikes headstock?

yojimg

Reaction score
Visit site
I just noticed this silver metal thing on the end of a wire near the left side of the headstock. Anybody know what it is? That white ziptie doesn't look OEM....

7B44B56F-E67F-4BAE-80B4-2E3DAA35860F.jpeg 0DB54DB2-D61B-4490-A94B-E730606E806C.jpeg

Last edited:
My guess is an antenna or temperature sensor. What accessories or modifications exist on this bike? Alarm? Anti theft tracking device?

It’s definitely not installed by factory or knowledgeable installer because the zip tie type is for indoor use, not the exterior type.

Last edited:
That was my guess too -- antenna or temp sensor. No accessories on this bike that I know of -- I just bought this thing used 2 weeks ago, so i'm still learning/discovering things. I know the bike was originally a dealer demo prior to the previous owner, so I'm wondering if this maybe is some sort of GPS tracker that was never removed?

Perhaps a sensor for a tuning accessory that controls the fuel delivery depending on the air temperature.

Looks like a temp probe to me, and not an antenna. (But I could be wrong)
I know there was an accessory called a "booster plug" or something that used a temp probe and a circuit of some sort to spoof the fuel delivery to richen the mixture. Kind of like a poor-man's Power Commander. Might be something like that.

Looks like a temp probe to me, and not an antenna. (But I could be wrong)
I know there was an accessory called a "booster plug" or something that used a temp probe and a circuit of some sort to spoof the fuel delivery to richen the mixture. Kind of like a poor-man's Power Commander. Might be something like that.

Holy Hell, it does look similar to this -- https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boosterplug-honda-nc750x-554p.html

BoosterPlug%201Ku1-p.jpg

Thank you for that suggestion!!!

-Jim G

Last edited:
I just checked the for-sale ad that I saw for my bike, and it does mention "boosterplug" -- I didn't know what that was before so I must've ignored it. Now I know what it is!!! :)

Thanks again!
-Jim G

I haven't heard of anyone on this forum ever mentioning a Boosterplug.
I assume it's just a pre-programmed fuel enrichening hack.
I believe they're already illegal in California.

I have a similar thing called Rapid Bike Easy. It controls the fuel delivery but not by the air temperature it takes readings from the O2 sensor.

Oh yes, Boosterplug has been mentioned on this forum:

It basically fools the inlet temp sensor to read a few degrees colder. Even cheaper and simpler versions simply offset the measurement (steady resistance), the Booster Plug accounts for ambient temperature and varies the offset accordingly (temperature dependent resistance).
Colder air is denser, so more fuel is added to compensate for the increased mass of air. Tricking the IAT to read colder richens the mixture. Some claim small to moderate gains, especially considering the engine is mapped for efficiency and therefore a leaner mix. Crude, but (reportedly) mildly effective.

It basically fools the inlet temp sensor to read a few degrees colder. Even cheaper and simpler versions simply offset the measurement (steady resistance), the Booster Plug accounts for ambient temperature and varies the offset accordingly (temperature dependent resistance).
Colder air is denser, so more fuel is added to compensate for the increased mass of air. Tricking the IAT to read colder richens the mixture. Some claim small to moderate gains, especially considering the engine is mapped for efficiency and therefore a leaner mix. Crude, but (reportedly) mildly effective.
I tried a similar device on my Goldwing F6B to deal with the common cold stumble issue found on many GL1800 engines.
It was from Electrical Connection and was called a "stumble stop".
It also tied into the harness from the IAT sensor.
It had some adjustment built into it by way of 2 potentiometers.
It did work, but after a half hour of riding it would throw a MIL fault from the IAT sensor.
I just removed and sold the electronic "hack" as I call it.
Looking at the EC website, it is no longer listed, as devices like this either are already are or will be illegal to sell and use.
Here's a pic I found on the web of the device before it was discontinued:

IMG_0756.PNG

I tried a similar device on my Goldwing F6B to deal with the common cold stumble issue found on many GL1800 engines.
It was from Electrical Connection and was called a "stumble stop".
It also tied into the harness from the IAT sensor.
It had some adjustment built into it by way of 2 potentiometers.
It did work, but after a half hour of riding it would throw a MIL fault from the IAT sensor.
I just removed and sold the electronic "hack" as I call it.
Looking at the EC website, it is no longer listed, as devices like this either are already are or will be illegal to sell and use.
Here's a pic I found on the web of the device before it was discontinued:
I'm skeptical of anything that fools a sensor, especially where the fuel map has more that just IAT as an input.
It's definitely a "hack" in my books too, as compared to a full remap on the ECU or even a "piggyback" system like the PC.
PC is still somewhat of a "hack" but is somewhat close to a proper remap. At least with a PC you can adjust the entire map as desired instead of a defined IAT offset.

I bypassed the IAT sensor on my Tiger 1050 with a resistor sized to make it think the air was ~32 deg. to reduce detonation. It cured about 90% of the detonation and cost me 1 - 2 mpg. The dealer nor Triumph would not acknowledge the problem although several of us 2007 owners had the issue. I did not think I should pay $400 for a PC to fix what was clearly a poor engine control map.

Over the weekend I was able to remove the device -- it is, as predicted, a BoosterPlug. Coincidentally I also just ran through my first tank of gas, hitting the reserve on Friday evening's commute home. I got about 165 miles on 2.87 US gallons, which is 57.5 mpg (the dash reported ~58mpg avg). That's much less than I was hoping for with this bike -- my 2015 CB500X reliably got 62mpg on the same commute. Today I rode the NC to work for the first time w/o the BoosterPlug, and I couldn't tell a difference in the bike. According to the dash gauge, I'm getting about 58mpg, so no big change there. I was really hoping to get at least 65mpg with this bike! :(

The NC750X and the CB500X are not all that different in fuel mileage, according to Fuelly examples. Make sure you ride the NC at lower RPMs than you would on the CB, as making power down low is one of the NC engine design traits.

The NC750X and the CB500X are not all that different in fuel mileage, according to Fuelly examples. Make sure you ride the NC at lower RPMs than you would on the CB, as making power down low is one of the NC engine design traits.
Thanks -- I'm trying to remember to ride in (about) a gear higher than I used to. I do have the NC's dash/tachometer set to "eco" mode so it turns green when I'm riding most efficiently. Also, mine is a manual bike -- I wonder whether the DCT models get higher MPGs than the manuals?

Thanks -- I'm trying to remember to ride in (about) a gear higher than I used to. I do have the NC's dash/tachometer set to "eco" mode so it turns green when I'm riding most efficiently. Also, mine is a manual bike -- I wonder whether the DCT models get higher MPGs than the manuals?
I don’t know how the ‘21 NC DCT compares, but past model comparisons between DCT and manual had the manual getting slightly better mileage, or there being no difference. In the end, either way it’s a constant mesh transmission and a multiplate friction disk wet clutch, so any power or efficiency losses through the drive train would be the same. Whether you pick the gear ratio or let a computer pick the gear ratio is the only difference.

Back