• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What is the worst bike you have ever owned

Rocker66

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.kawasakiw650.co.uk
As we seem to be agreed that the NC is a good bike I got round to wondering what would be the worst one that you have ever owned. For me the answer is easy it is the XS750 tripp;e that I bought new. This was easily my worst bike which considering I have owned British bikes and MZs is really saying something.
The Xs gave me allsorts of problems the worst being whilst parked at Spa for the Belgian GP i tried to unlock it ( steering lock in the stearing stem in those days) and the whole lock spring small ball bearing all fell out leaving bike in the locked position. Strangely my XS2 gave no problems is one of my top 5 of those that I have owned
now315.jpg

now313_zps6c5cf7eb.jpg

In the mid to late 70's I rode a Triumph Tiger 650 that was a bugger to keep timed. While out on the highway one day it burned a hole through the top of one piston, leaving me stranded about 40 miles from home. I have to say though, it ran good when it stayed in tune.

In the mid to late 70's I rode a Triumph Tiger 650 that was a bugger to keep timed. While out on the highway one day it burned a hole through the top of one piston, leaving me stranded about 40 miles from home. I have to say though, it ran good when it stayed in tune.

Was it the OIF model. If so I know what you mean. The other big problem I had with mine was the inficators turning on their stalks and facing downwards

img481_zps6ce6428e.jpg

img471_zps3e24a9cd.jpg

1962 Triumph Tiger Cub (200cc). It was a great handling bike for its time and a great ride for 5,000 miles. After that it was good for a major breakdown at least every thousand miles. Launched the magneto rotor through the side case twice, seized piston on a regular basis, and to change the front drive sprocket, you had to split the engine casing. Maintenance was also a bit of a challenge since the threads on the hardware would strip while you were removing bolts, let alone when you re-installed them. And finally let's not forget about the Joseph Lucas (AKA The Prince Of Darkness) electrical system.

Bob

Rocker, if I remember correctly, it had an oil tank. Mine was colored similarly to yours, though it had factory knee pads on the tank. The inficators stayed put, and oddly, I never had an electrical problem with it!

2009 BMW F800ST

What a horror story that was for me. :(

Because of that bike, my NC700X is costing me about $16,000 dollars. (I traded the ST in at such a brutal loss, that the upside down loan I was in, got tacked onto my NCX loan.

I guess the bright side is though, the NC to me, is worth any price just to get away from the hateful F800 and the whole BMW "experience".

Since I got back into riding 5 years ago, I've bought (and got rid of some) 6 bikes - 3 Ducati, 1 Triumph T100, and 2 Honda (CBR250 and NCX). I would have to say that I've thoroughly every single one of them. I do not have regret at all.

HOWEVER... I did buy a Chinese made Baja 50cc scooter that was a nightmare. I got it for my wife so she can paddle around town. It had never ran well since day one. Customer service is non-existing. Doesn't matter how many times I cleaned the carb, adjusted the jet, rebuilt the top end, it just wouldn't run worth crap. The last time she rode it, white smoke poured out of the exhaust and it just died.

82 Honda Magna... Not really it's fault though. I bought it as a non-runner a few years ago, I was able to get it running again but every time I would ride it something would break... small stuff mostly. Last time I'll buy a bike that is as old as I am.

I have liked or loved most of the bikes I have owned (40+) but I have 2 that stand out that I was happy to get rid of and would not be tempted to ever own again. They are:

1969 Kawasaki 500 triple
1972 Triumph 500 Daytona

And so I must also say that the one I regret selling and would love to have back. 1975 Suzuki GT550 ed

PS I have pictures of them but they are pre-digital

I have liked or loved most of the bikes I have owned (40+) but I have 2 that stand out that I was happy to get rid of and would not be tempted to ever own again. They are:

1969 Kawasaki 500 triple
1972 Triumph 500 Daytona

And so I must also say that the one I regret selling and would love to have back. 1975 Suzuki GT550 ed

PS I have pictures of them but they are pre-digital

I had the Kawasaki tripple but mine was a 350 S2. I got fed up with keep changing the plugs. Luckily where I worked at the time we had a sand blaster so I was able to have the plugs cleaned every couple of days.
I have been lucky in that my wife scanned all our old photos in so I can post them easily
img204_zps5f8d5f94.jpg

Rocker, if I remember correctly, it had an oil tank. Mine was colored similarly to yours, though it had factory knee pads on the tank. The inficators stayed put, and oddly, I never had an electrical problem with it!
If I rember correctly the OIF model came out in about '71. This was my first brand new big bike

2009 BMW F800ST

What a horror story that was for me. :(

Because of that bike, my NC700X is costing me about $16,000 dollars. (I traded the ST in at such a brutal loss, that the upside down loan I was in, got tacked onto my NCX loan.

I guess the bright side is though, the NC to me, is worth any price just to get away from the hateful F800 and the whole BMW "experience".

It's a shame that todays BMWs are built to the same quality as the old air heads. I was amased at the quality control involved when I visited the factory in Berlin back in the 70s. The bikes were virtually hand assembled. One thing that still remains strong in my mind waswatching the women hand painting the coach lineing whilst just chatting with each other.
Of course in those days BMWs were far more expensive in real terms . My R75/5 cost £1200 while top of the range Japanese bikes such as the Honda CB750 & Suzuki GT750 cost circa £750

Since I got back into riding 5 years ago, I've bought (and got rid of some) 6 bikes - 3 Ducati, 1 Triumph T100, and 2 Honda (CBR250 and NCX). I would have to say that I've thoroughly every single one of them. I do not have regret at all.

HOWEVER... I did buy a Chinese made Baja 50cc scooter that was a nightmare. I got it for my wife so she can paddle around town. It had never ran well since day one. Customer service is non-existing. Doesn't matter how many times I cleaned the carb, adjusted the jet, rebuilt the top end, it just wouldn't run worth crap. The last time she rode it, white smoke poured out of the exhaust and it just died.

I finally got to see a NCX in person yesterday. I'm still not sure if it is the bike for me or not. In your opinion, how do you see the Triumph Bonneville as a first bike. I am considering buying a used 08' or newer with EFI. Any help would be appreciated.

I finally got to see a NCX in person yesterday. I'm still not sure if it is the bike for me or not. In your opinion, how do you see the Triumph Bonneville as a first bike. I am considering buying a used 08' or newer with EFI. Any help would be appreciated.

If I were buying for more than just commuting I would certainly consider the Bonnie. However you may find servicing costs quite a bit more expensive. At least here in the UK it is

My 1982 hd sportster was a pos. only bike that's ever left me stranded. Blown engine :)

I also had a 1999 Hd soft tail custom and loved it, truly badass bike.

One of my co-workers just bought a brand new one a couple of months ago. And yes as Rocker66 stated, higher maint. costs. He took his in for the 600mile service and it was over $300.00!!! For an oil change and inspection!! But at least it would be easy to get parts and such for it as the bonneville hasn't changed much over the years. Suspension isn't that great over rough roads.

Back