• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What GPS do you use?

Well some complain about mapsource, I've found it very useful, like this past weekend when I patched together a route containing about a dozen gravel road. I once used Google maps, but they've reduced the capabilities of that app. My garmin will lay down a track of where I've been which I can retrace or save for later use. I don't have to put a baggy over the device when it starts to rain.

Well some complain about mapsource, I've found it very useful, like this past weekend when I patched together a route containing about a dozen gravel road. I once used Google maps, but they've reduced the capabilities of that app. My garmin will lay down a track of where I've been which I can retrace or save for later use. I don't have to put a baggy over the device when it starts to rain.
I learned Mapsource first and still use it. I tried to update myself to Tyre and Basecamp but I went back to Mapsource. In my laptop I have both 49 state Topo and City Navigator so I can access maps showing everything from overgrown logging roads to super highways. In my travels I've found interesting little roads or POIs and I'll drop a waypoint here or there to mark them or like you said save the entire track as a file. When I'm planning a trip I see these "bread crumbs" to remind me to go that way or when I'm passing through that area I'm reminded "oh yeah, there is that neat little road" because I see the waypoint on the GPS. These roads don't show up until you zoom in to 2 or 3/10s of a mile so they are like needles in stacks of hay stacks when looking at larger maps or Google. Typically I have the GPS at 0.5 to 1.2 miles so I'd miss the little road myself if I didn't leave a bread crumb. As far as I know none of the phone or tablet apps do any of this, at least not without some sort of interface you can't use when riding - which is what I use the GPS for. It enhances my riding.

I belong to a group of touring riders that has members in virtually every state. We share gpx/gpd files of really good local roads that one would only know from local knowledge then I can ride those roads when I get there even on the other side of the country. After loading them on the data card in the Garmin I import the routes as needed and move them out when not so as to keep the 550s route memory uncluttered.

Last edited:
I have two discontinued Garmin 765T, one in my wife's car and one I move between my truck and the bike. I bought the 765 because I get the most bang for the buck, Bluetooth, MP3 & Audiobook player (which I never use), traffic info for when I travel to cities like Boston and NYC, updates still available from Garmin. It works well for me. I have not tried routing with a mapping program.

I had bought the 660 but sent it back. The one I bought was defective, but I got basecamp set up before I shipped it back. I use mapscource to create routes and then transfer to basecamp to create a track. Transfer the track back to mapscource and load on to the GPS. Very handy in creating tracks instead of using the mapscource tool for creating tracks. I like to have the track, especially if I leave on the auto reroute function. I normally leave that function off but I have goofed and left it on.

I use a Garmin GPS60CSx which is geared more as a hiking unit than for vehicular traffic.

Garmin Monterra here. Rather expensive, but all the ability of a Garmin GPS and an Android computer in one simple device. Can check email from lunch stops over WiFi. Take geotagged photos on the ride. Get calendar alerts and turn by turn directions via Bluetooth. Waterproof and rugged. Can load up gpx files and swap them in and out as needed. Can overlay routing and topo maps along with aerial photos. I love it. But the cost with routing maps is crazy if you don't use it a lot.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player outfitted with a saw blade, fork, and an umbrella.

I really wanted a Montana, thought hard about a 64st because I already have a cradle and wiring set up, but I found a 660lm I could afford, so I ordered that. I'll keep the 62 just for giggles.

I just use my Garmiin Map60CSX It is good for hiking and also does a great job of road mapping and is compact. I just plug it into my battery tender plug and good to go. No voice but excellent turn by turn directions.
IMG_20140711_143816.jpg

Back