• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What else would you ride?

No way I want to sell the NC but I would like: Honda CRF250L , Yamaha WR250R, Triumph Scrambler in order and a place to store each of the bike. (And of course the cash to maintain and ride them all :))

I am fortunate enough to own more than one motorcycle. However one of them stands head and shoulders above the rest for me and I have owned it since new in 2006. That is a KTM 950SM. In my 40+ years of motorcycling it is the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle. I accept that it is not very practical and a bit heavy on petrol. However it is one of those motorcycles that it is very difficult to relax on. Here it is on one of my favourite haunts in the Wicklow hills close to my home.

Lough Dana.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually looking at buying an FZ-09, but the dealer wouldn't take my CBR600F4 on trade, only consignment. My CBR has been running bad the last couple years, or it would still be my only bike. After reading several reviews (and trying to be practical for once) I decided to get the NC, but I still wonder if the FZ might have been a better choice for me. I'm working on making my NC more "fun". :) (I still own the CBR, and it's in the queue for repairs, so I may just keep both. Know anybody wanting to trade their FZ-09 for a low mileage NC700X?)

I imagine I'll find it hard to keep one bike properly exercised for a while, but if I had a large excess of time and money I might go for some kind of 250-300cc dirt machine and a BMW F800GT loaded out for touring. I toyed around with the idea of several bikes before getting the NC (I delayed upgrading for a year after I decided I was ready to move on from my learner bike), really wanted to try out the BMW, but it wasn't released yet IIRC. I was looking for a more touring oriented bike and probably would've bought an NT700V if there were any left nearby, I couldn't even lift some of the bigger sport-tourers off the side-stand (*cough* ST1300). The more I read about the NC, the more I liked it. So when the gremlin we'd been chasing in my Shadow's electrical system left me stranded on my way home from work one night, I sent my husband out to buy one, haven't looked back.

For a long trip.....My RT1100 is very hard to beat.....around town and to work and back...the NC wins every time...If money is no object a new Ducati Multistrda would be my choice...."SO MANY ROADS....SO LITTLE TIME"..............

Ok,
BMW F800ST
KTM Duke
Honda Grom

emy3yvuv.jpg

bu9aqaba.jpg
enatemyn.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other bikes are my '04 Honda XR400 (not street legal), an '04 Suzuki DR200, and a few Treks in the fleet! :)

I almost bought a zero S model. I really would love a quiet electric motorcycle but the range needs to double before it will work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was the main competition my NC faced before I bought it...
Doing the math though, the cost of a new Zero S could buy me a NC and about 100,000 miles worth of gas and oil changes (I figured tires and brakes were a wash) and the NC can go cross country right now with out having to wait for charging stations to be built.

A PCX would be a suitable commuter also, better gas mileage and allot cheaper than the NC... but I wanted something that could actually be effective at highway speeds.

A Goldwing would be nice for touring, and maybe I could convince my wife to ride on the back of something that has arm rests.
Though a Ural would probably be best for getting something she'd want to ride on/in, though from what I've heard I'd spend almost as much time fixing it as riding it. And I couldn't fit a side car in the garage with the other two cars.

Dirt bike would be fun also in the event I found myself off of the paved roads more often...

Ultimately the NC was a compromise... it wasn't the cheapest, it wasn't the fastest, wasn't the most indestructible, or the most comfortable, but it was reasonable all around, wouldn't trade it for anything at the moment, and I don't have the dollars or the need to buy an other specific purpose built bike.

...Ultimately the NC was a compromise... it wasn't the cheapest, it wasn't the fastest, wasn't the most indestructible, or the most comfortable, but it was reasonable all around...

My feelings exactly. I've thought about (briefly) the Yamaha FZ-09 when it came out, but it's not really ticking all the checkboxes for me. I thought about and looked at the new V-Strom 1000, but I'm holding back, and it's not really all that hard, either. Tempting, but just not enough.

However, i'm probably going to have a hard time saying "no" (or even wanting to say it) when EBR comes out with their still unseen 1190 AX adventure bike either later this year or early next year (hopefully), assuming it's similar enough to the 2009 Buell Ulysses I owned for a few years. I'm not expecting it to be TOO very different, but there's no telling, yet, since this is still well in advance of any EBR announcement of the model. They've just said they're going to come out with one, "later".

If I were to go for another bike right now It would definitely be the KTM 1190 adventure.

2013-KTM-1190-Adventure-R-Misc-044.jpg

Can do everything that I want to do on a bike and then some. Two downsides are gas mileage and price.

This is what I ride some times, my boys bike. OMG what a rocket, seen it do 158 and still have a little more to go. A 2001 cbr 600 f4i, a real canyon carver!!!

Attachments

• CAM00158.jpg
    CAM00158.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 215
It seems that whatever motorcycle I was riding, I was always looking for my next one. Not that I was really dissatisfied, I was just looking for something different or maybe better. However, I find I don't think about my next bike so much when riding the NC700x. I like this bike; I am very satisfied with it. I believe it is almost the perfect bike for me for one up all around riding. Now if I was to get a second or third bike:

I like the new BMW 1200GS. It may almost be the perfect bike. It weighs only slightly more than the NC with a low center of gravity as well. It would also accommodate a pillion. But if I was to get the GS I would not need the NC, though it may be better for a majority of my riding. I am not likely to give up my other "almost perfect" bike and $20K for the GS.

So maybe a BMW K1600. An absolutely superior mile muncher for 2 up riding. My wife saw one at a recent show and really likes it. Of course I told her how much it cost. But what a second bike it would be. I can imagine myself chasing the sunset across the western high country.

Finally, for a third bike, a late '60's or early '70's Moto Guzzi Eldorado or Ambo. A nice classic ride.

When I found the NC, I was looking at a Wee-Strom. I didn't know anything about the NC so I found myself here. I'm glad I did.
I liked the Strom because it is taller and I'm at 34" inseam.
I liked the NC because I got it for more than $2K less than the Strom.
I also like the NC because it is not shim/bucket valve adjustments.
Being able to work on my own stuff is a big thing to me - the NC seems to be user friendly. I'm glad I have it but if I were to try/buy another bike it would be the 650 V-strom.

Been doing some research on one of these.should have the ncx paid off next summer,this would make a nice 2nd bike in the stable.
ezeta5aj.jpg

Back