• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What are your top 3 reasons for buying / wanting to buy the NC700 X or S?

Got my NCX last week on 29 Aug...at the end...it was Price that matters among the so many wants which I have..I read and reckon that most of us chose practicality over looks for our stable. With a 30km/l FC, big tank storage, low price for a mid sized bike, upright riding position, etc
In other words, the best and affordable all-round bike for me...
This is my second bike. The first one also is also very good for what it does..great value, cheap to maintain, serves my purpose of daily commuting in the city-state of Singapore and lastly able to go to neighbouring state without worry or bike getting stolen....the only problem is that being a small bike of 150cc...I can't go touring at higher speed and most probably not safe as well.
that's my short story..
thanks for reading.
Hope u find what u want for yr new ride.
cheers
Mark

I have a friend that is a top mechanic for Honda in the state of Florida where I bought my NC700X. He told me to stay away from the DCT. It can and will downshift on you when you are in a tight and curved road. That might not be too good if there is gravel or the road is wet. You also loose a little hp and tq. It is not worth the extra money. IMO

That's great advice! Thanks! I will be able to get my NCX sooner AND shift "normal". ;)

It is a Dual Clutch...meaning it is almost seamless.

I would not base my purchase choice from 1 mechanic's opinion.
Sorry.

Then ask another mechanic! I am telling what my friend "the top mechanic for Honda in the State of Florida" said to me. I am just giving you the inside scoop that you will not hear from a salesman. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
I feel at 53 I am too old for year round riding of bikes, Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. I considered a Moto Guzzi V7, which I still like, but lack of dealers and support network put me off. I considered a Yamaha Diversion, however, I like the idea of a modern twin, liquid cooled, digital instruments and build quality of a Honda. I like the feel of the bike, and I am average height 175cm and I can get my feet on the ground when at the lights. Some bikes I have tried are made for very tall German fellows. The dealer is only 15 minutes away and is pretty good. I wanted a bike I could drive to see my brother in Basel or see friends across Europe rather than the drone of Easyjet or Ryanair. I did not want to pay an arm and a leg for some exotica...these are the main reasons.

As someone who is brand-new to riding, I needed something that I could easily learn to ride, and would not outgrow as my skills improved. I'm no crotch-rocket fan, nor a 'cruiser' so this fits perfectly.
1. Easy to learn for beginner
2. Price (trust me, my wife didn't want to spend alot of $$ on a bike, but this wasn't bad at all)
3. Looks--the style is awesome

In all honestly, if the NCX wasn't available, I would probably still be researching bikes instead of riding one

I have had my NC700X DCT for a little of a week and have put over 700 miles on curvy Western Pennsylvania roads in dry, wet, gravelly, and dirty/muddy conditions and have yet to have a problem with a shift in the corner. I think mostly because of the smooth/seamless/very often unnoticeable shifts. I will admit I haven't been pushing it all the time, but the chicken strips are pretty darn small. I would base your decision on whether or not you want normal shifting or what was the clincher in my case, which is the ABS which is only available on the DCT in the US. With the number of drivers in the US (or the stupid deer in western PA) who don't seem to be paying attention, you will in all likelihood have to make a panic stop now and then and when that happen, particularly if it is wet, the ABS is worth is weight in gold (or at least the cost of probably quite expensive repairs -- hopefully only to the bike).

Last edited:
I have had my NC700X DCT for a little of a week and have put over 700 miles on curvy Western Pennsylvania roads in dry, wet, gravelly, and dirty/muddy conditions and have yet to have a problem with a shift in the corner. I think mostly because of the smooth/seamless/very often unnoticeable shifts. I will admit I haven't been pushing it all the time, but the chicken strips are pretty darn small. I would base your decision on whether or not you want normal shifting or what was the clincher in my case, which is the ABS which is only available on the DCT in the US. With the number of drivers in the US (or the stupid deer in western PA) who don't seem to be paying attention, you will in all likelihood have to make a panic stop now and then and when that happen, particularly if it is wet, the ABS is worth is weight in gold (or at least the cost of probably quite expensive repairs -- hopefully only to the bike).

There you go. Take it from a man with the experience of the DCT model. Sounds like he has had no problem "YET" as quoted by ryo. I was at a Birthday Party this afternoon and the "mechanic" Brian was there and we talked more about the DCT model. He said that he would feel more comfortable with the standard only because he was in control of when the biked shifted. That would be with it in the fully automatic mode only. He just gave his opinion on what he felt more comfortable with. Brian did say that there is more going on with the DCT and if a problem ever did occur with the system obviously the price to fix the tranny and or the shifter. It would be more money to fix then the standard. I apologize for any confusion on this matter.

Last edited:
I feel at 53 I am too old for year round riding of bikes, Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. I considered a Moto Guzzi V7, which I still like, but lack of dealers and support network put me off. I considered a Yamaha Diversion, however, I like the idea of a modern twin, liquid cooled, digital instruments and build quality of a Honda. I like the feel of the bike, and I am average height 175cm and I can get my feet on the ground when at the lights. Some bikes I have tried are made for very tall German fellows. The dealer is only 15 minutes away and is pretty good. I wanted a bike I could drive to see my brother in Basel or see friends across Europe rather than the drone of Easyjet or Ryanair. I did not want to pay an arm and a leg for some exotica...these are the main reasons.

53 is NOT old I'm 65 & my wife is 64 and we both ride all year round as neither of us has a car licence. We both hope to continue riding until we are physicaly unable to do so. till each to their own

I feel at 53 I am too old...
Oh, no, don't try to go that way! :)
I'm 54 and have never been riding that much as this year although I've been doing it for more than 30 years. This far (this year) I got more than 15000 km on my two bikes and it continues. Bike riding is not exotica, it's a life style. I do have an almost brand new car, a quite good one, but it sits in my garage collecting dust. One of the bikes is what I use whenever I need to go. Unless a lot of stuff need to be taken home, then I use the car.

So, get up and go the 15 minutes to your dealer to pick your choice. It has never been a better opportunity to get a good bike for less money.
Do send us pics later.

Oh, no, don't try to go that way! :)
I'm 54 and have never been riding that much as this year although I've been doing it for more than 30 years. This far (this year) I got more than 15000 km on my two bikes and it continues. Bike riding is not exotica, it's a life style. I do have an almost brand new car, a quite good one, but it sits in my garage collecting dust. One of the bikes is what I use whenever I need to go. Unless a lot of stuff need to be taken home, then I use the car.

So, get up and go the 15 minutes to your dealer to pick your choice. It has never been a better opportunity to get a good bike for less money.
Do send us pics later.

Good for you my man

Then ask another mechanic! I am telling what my friend "the top mechanic for Honda in the State of Florida" said to me. I am just giving you the inside scoop that you will not hear from a salesman. Take it or leave it.

Sorry man, I get a little funny whenever I read something like this. Did he win an award or something from Florida or Honda USA?

This DCT on the NC700 is pretty new. Unless there is a basic design error or say 1 year's bad experience with this tranny, I would prefer to give this DCT some time to run its course in real-world testing. Of course I would agree "don't be the guinea pig", same as my reason for NOT buying the DCT.

Being a top mechanic and saying such a thing, I am not comfortable he is being fair to a new tranny.
I am not talking about the older DCT on other bikes, which may be problematic, etc. I don't know.

I think the fairest thing is to wait 1 year for the results of the DCT. Perhaps he is correct afterall.
:p

There you go. Take it from a man with the experience of the DCT model. Sounds like he has had no problem "YET" as quoted by ryo. I was at a Birthday Party this afternoon and the "mechanic" Brian was there and we talked more about the DCT model. He said that he would feel more comfortable with the standard only because he was in control of when the biked shifted. That would be with it in the fully automatic mode only. He just gave his opinion on what he felt more comfortable with. Brian did say that there is more going on with the DCT and if a problem ever did occur with the system obviously the price to fix the tranny and or the shifter. It would be more money to fix then the standard. I apologize for any confusion on this matter.

Are we waiting for a eureka "I told you so" moment (for something to go wrong with the DCT)?
Hmm.
:D

With any NEW technology, we take a risk. Some people will take this risk, while others not (like me and you Bob, I think).
This bike is under warranty here (2 years), and so if there is really any "design" errors, this should cover the fix, the repairs, and even change to a new bike.
Sorry for replying twice to this same topic.
I only think we should be fair to a new technology, which may become the standard in years to come.
My mechanic here also said the same thing about not being the first guinea pig, and wanting more precise shifting. I agreed and bought the manual tranny version.

Sorry man, I get a little funny whenever I read something like this. Did he win an award or something from Florida or Honda USA?

This DCT on the NC700 is pretty new. Unless there is a basic design error or say 1 year's bad experience with this tranny, I would prefer to give this DCT some time to run its course in real-world testing. Of course I would agree "don't be the guinea pig", same as my reason for NOT buying the DCT.

Being a top mechanic and saying such a thing, I am not comfortable he is being fair to a new tranny.
I am not talking about the older DCT on other bikes, which may be problematic, etc. I don't know.

I think the fairest thing is to wait 1 year for the results of the DCT. Perhaps he is correct afterall.

Brian the "mechanic"said that he would feel more comfortable with the standard ONLY because he was in control of when the biked shifted. I corrected myself and apologized for any misunderstanding. As far as winning an award or something. I see that you have a little bit of an attitude. Why don't you call Geoff Bodine's Honda Of Melbourne and ask them yourself why Brian Thompson is the top mechanic in the state of Florida and then you tell us here what they had to say. 321-345-4256

Are we waiting for a eureka "I told you so" moment (for something to go wrong with the DCT)?
Hmm.
:D

With any NEW technology, we take a risk. Some people will take this risk, while others not (like me and you Bob, I think).
This bike is under warranty here (2 years), and so if there is really any "design" errors, this should cover the fix, the repairs, and even change to a new bike.
Sorry for replying twice to this same topic.
I only think we should be fair to a new technology, which may become the standard in years to come.
My mechanic here also said the same thing about not being the first guinea pig, and wanting more precise shifting. I agreed and bought the manual tranny version.

No eureka moment happy. There is no problem with the DCT, just personal preference.

Brian the "mechanic"said that he would feel more comfortable with the standard ONLY because he was in control of when the biked shifted. I corrected myself and apologized for any misunderstanding. As far as winning an award or something. I see that you have a little bit of an attitude. Why don't you call Geoff Bodine's Honda Of Melbourne and ask them yourself why Brian Thompson is the top mechanic in the state of Florida and then you tell us here what they had to say. 321-345-4256

I believe you, really, about Brian.

Read my post again, I did AGREE with you and your mechanic about shifting manually. I prefer this myself too.

Any automatic transmission has the possibility and likelihood to wrongshift at any time (critical or not). It can be the NC or a high end Ferrari or Lamborghini. They CAN shift wrongly when you least want it.
That is why many of us (including myself, you and Brian) prefer the manual shift, especially during some agressive spirited rides.

But DCT does have a manual mode, right? I am not sure if it will still upshift/downshift in this mode, when one hits the rev-limits, etc?

Attitude is what makes us all different (and me a pain in the behind)....that's why you LIKE me, right?

That is right happy. I am a pain in the ( ! ) too! I still want to know why Brian is rated #1 with Honda also. I will look into it and keep you posted.

That is right happy. I am a pain in the ( i ) too! I still want to know why Brian is rated #1 with Honda also. I will look into it and keep you posted.

Last edited:
That is right happy. I am a pain in the ( ! ) too! I still want to know why Brian is rated #1 with Honda also. I will look into it and keep you posted.

Na, you must be kidding. You are such a nice dude.
:rolleyes:

I won't invest too much time in proving Brian's credentials. Don't lose sleep over it.
He cannot help me, and I cannot help him.

Besides which, you don't have to use automatic mode, you can always use manual mode and shift with the paddles. He is probably right about cost of repair, the more the complexity, the higher the cost.

Back