• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Warm socks

tew47

Reaction score
Visit site
To all you that live in the cold areas, what is the warmest socks that you recommend? Non electric. My feet are about the only thing that gets cold. I did notice that if I put the ball of my feet on the pegs, they get warmer.

if you find some please let me know. i've searched and tried several diff socks. i ended up going electric, but i have to find a comfortable way to run the wires.
i have ordered the lower cowl deflector for my bike though, cuz i have noticed my toes get chilly pretty quick.

FITS brand socks are great. I work with a lot of Marines who swear by them and I use them for riding in extreme cold weather. They're kind of expensive but well worth it. They offer them in different thicknesses. I have a variety and all are very warm. The sock also supports the foot like no other. I describe them as feeling like teddy bears are hugging your feet.

I use a liner sock inside of a wool sock. Started using that combo when I used to do a bunch of backpacking. The liner sock is a wicking material (don't remember where I got them). My feet will sweat even when it's below freezing if I'm moving at all so the the wicking layer helps pull moisture away from my feet and helps them stay warmer. It's the warmest combo I've found so far. I'd be interested in hearing other's ideas......always looking for something better.
Mike

The most important part is to buy proper bike rider boots. The next thing is to use socks that won't absorb moisture. Cotton is banned. Wool is ok but gives a smell "out of this world" after some days of touring riding... The best to me is bamboo fiber socks that are non-fungus, non-moisture absorption, extremely soft and very warm. With this combination we never have any problems with cold feets up here in the north.

Addendum: Do get Gore-Tex isolated boots which prevent to get your feets soaked during rainy days...

Last edited:
Next question could be which are the best winter/cold gloves?
My fingers were frozen ....
:p

It's a three step solution:
  1. Any good bike purpose gloves will do.
  2. Proper wind deflectors on the the grips.
  3. Heated grips. I really do recommend the Honda original 1-button solution. They are good.

DSC_2913%202.jpg

Last edited:
"Carhartt Men's Artic Wool Heavy Boot Socks" on Amazon. They're the real deal.

To all you that live in the cold areas, what is the warmest socks that you recommend? Non electric. My feet are about the only thing that gets cold. I did notice that if I put the ball of my feet on the pegs, they get warmer.

Here is the trick I use - plastic bags over whatever socks you wear. Find the thickness you prefer, but I was very surprised at how toasty my feet were!
Discovered it totally by accident, while riding thru poring rain for hours and my boots started seeping water thru.
Put bags on - WARM and DRY! :)

Here is the trick I use - plastic bags over whatever socks you wear. Find the thickness you prefer, but I was very surprised at how toasty my feet were!
Discovered it totally by accident, while riding thru poring rain for hours and my boots started seeping water thru.

I always do that on rainy days. Somehow water always gets through my boots.

Makes sense, the plastic doesn't breathe so your feet keep their own heat. Good as long as your feet don't sweat too much. :)

back in the old days before all the fancy gear was available.
we had little choice in what to wear its either leather or Bomber jkts or Barbour,Belstaff waxed jacket etc.
your hands used to get black wax if you didn't handle the jacket carefully.
I used to wear bin liners/news paper on my chest and carry bags around my boots and rubber gloves if the weather was nasty.
but being young we were tough!!.

back in the old days before all the fancy gear was available.
we had little choice in what to wear its either leather or Bomber jkts or Barbour,Belstaff waxed jacket etc.
your hands used to get black wax if you didn't handle the jacket carefully.
I used to wear bin liners/news paper on my chest and carry bags around my boots and rubber gloves if the weather was nasty.
but being young we were tough!!.

30 years from now, we will look back at 2013 and think "man... we used to wear wool socks and leather boots to stay warm. That's just barbaric." :)

Back