• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Upcoming tour - questions for experienced tourers?

lue42

Reaction score
Visit site
I am planning on a tour on Sept 1-4th and it is going to be my first away from home bike tour. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help.

I am typically an over-planner and I am trying to chill out and let the ride happen, but not having a lot of experience with it I am not sure about a couple of things.

I am not camping this time, and will be staying at motels or AirBnB's. I feel like I have book every motel in advance but due to cancellation policies it really forces you to a schedule. But, it is a long weekend here in Canada so I am concerned about vacancy.

Question: Which should I do about accommodations - make reservations and force myself to get to the destinations or stop worrying and just find a place when I am done riding for the day.

Question: Google Maps and GPS software has definite opinions of driving times - in your experience, are those fairly accurate for actual on-the-road riding times for bikes.

My planned ride is based on this:
https://www.algomacountry.com/touring/motorcycle/grand-algoma-tour/

One day from St Thomas to Tobermory ferry to Blind River area. 2 days around the loop stopping in Wawa half way. 1 day to home via ferry again. It averages about 5.5hr of riding time per day.

I haven't decided whether to go home back the way I came or go down from Sault Ste Marie through Michigan and through the "tunnel of trees". If I go through Michigan I will have to use Highway 75/69 most of the way back but I get to ride the bit of Northern Michigan and the tunnel. If I go back via the Ferry I am backtracking and really restricting myself to ferry times and extra expense.

Question: Would you sacrifice Highway driving for a few hours of (supposedly) amazing riding, or go back the way I came on smaller roads and save the Michigan for another time?

My original plan didn't have to loop up in Ontario but rather went straight down to Michigan and ride along Lake Huron all the way back. I am still considering that too. It would be secondary roads almost all the way.

GPS Software.
It might be a good idea to use a GPS program that has a complete, stored-on-your-device, map. That way, you can still get directions when you have no cell connection (wireless or 4G).
I like the TomTom Navigation software for Android. The APP is free and the traffic avoidance is $15 a year?...something like that.

Someone on this forum taught me to use a cell phone as my GPS device.
(an INactive cell phone with NO chip for making phone calls. WiFi / Bluetooth still work)

I use [THIS] one (Kyocera Hydro Air 4G LTE Android)

• cheap to buy
  • easy to update
  • tether to your existing cell for traffic
  • waterproof
kyoceraHydro.jpg

Hotels:
I've been on some cross continent rides and find that it's best stay OFF a schedule.
If you're camping, it's easy to find a KOA or FREE site (FreeCampsites.net), and stop when you need to.

In your case, I'd still stay off schedule and stay at smaller hotels to keep the cost down. Bring a sleeping bag liner to protect from bed bugs. (Hey, some hotels are cheaper than others!). Unlike a full sleeping bag, liners are thin and easy to pack.

If you have the budget, just stay in the name brand hotels as you find them.

OPINION: It's counter productive to spoil a trip by forcing yourself to stay on schedule.
(unless you're an "Obsessive Compulsive" person, in which case you'll love it.)

Last edited:
GPS Software.
It might be a good idea to use a GPS program that has a complete, stored-on-your-device, map. That way, you can still get directions when you have no cell connection (wireless or 4G).

Great idea. I use an iPhone in a waterproof Otterbox case with CoPilot downloaded maps on it, so I am ok for no cell.

Hotels:
In your case, I'd still stay off schedule...

It is very against my personality but that is the plan. At every "remote" stage of the trip I am only about 1.5hr max from a pretty populated area. So, what's the worst that can happen - I have to ride on, possibly in the dark for a bit? I can handle that.

===============

I plan on doing a (~2 week) tour around Nova Scotia next year so I really have to figure out how to chill out and just enjoy the trip. I have family all over the maritimes - so that helps relieve anxiety... but I still need to relax about the whole thing.

I plan on doing a (~2 week) tour around Nova Scotia next year so I really have to figure out how to chill out and just enjoy the trip. I have family all over the maritimes - so that helps relieve anxiety... but I still need to relax about the whole thing.

It's a great time to be you and on that trip. Safe travels.

If you are heading up Cape Breton way at all, schedule a few days for the Cabot Trail, you will not be disappointed.

I grew up in Dartmouth and Sydney and have family all over NS, NB and PEI. I can't wait to go back and hit all the hotspots - especially the Cabot Trail.

Doesn't google maps allow offline navigation now?

I believe it caches maps based on your current location and destination, but I haven't seen much control over what it caches... so maybe no guaranteeing that later in your trip that those maps will be available when you need them.

I don't have cell data on my handlebar mounted phone and therefore have to use a "real" GPS app. I bought CoPilot on sale a while ago and am pretty confident in its routing and I like the interface too. (yeah, I could tether with my phone's data, but why bother)

Doesn't google maps allow offline navigation now?

Well...I note that when I download the map for TomTom, it's 6.5 GB...
(do that at home on wifi NOT on Data... takes a long time).

I've never downloaded ANY map for google maps, so I'm guessing it loads maps off the internet as needed.

Try this: take your phone and turn WiFi / Data (4g) OFF entirely. (Simulate NO signal of any kind)
then.... try google maps... does it work?

It might work for local area (things you have cached), but the first time it needs a map it doesn't have, it will choke as it has no place to get this map.

I took my first multi-day tour in June and didn't book rooms in advance, and that was a good thing, because I found out I could cover more ground in a day than I though I could. What I do instead is find motels ahead of time in probable areas where I think I'll be stopping. This probably won't work too well for where you'll be, but there are generally motels near exits of major highways. If I'm using highways I make use of that.

My somewhat limited experience with Google maps is that driving time estimates are only that and not overall travel times. A reasonable first order approximation for net time is based on a speed of 80 Km/h.

Unless I'm on a real schedule, or the weather is bad, I'll chose good riding roads over highways every time.

I took my first multi-day tour in June and didn't book rooms in advance, and that was a good thing, because I found out I could cover more ground in a day than I though I could. What I do instead is find motels ahead of time in probable areas where I think I'll be stopping. This probably won't work too well for where you'll be, but there are generally motels near exits of major highways. If I'm using highways I make use of that.

My somewhat limited experience with Google maps is that driving time estimates are only that and not overall travel times. A reasonable first order approximation for net time is based on a speed of 80 Km/h.

Unless I'm on a real schedule, or the weather is bad, I'll chose good riding roads over highways every time.

I will know on day 2 what the next two days are going to bring - as far as possible driving distances and how much time I am spending stopping vs driving. At one end of the spectrum, there are riders who literally go from A to B only stopping for gas and food. At the other end are tourers like Cannotshot (see his blog here - he originally inspired my Lake Huron loop tour) who spend so much time stopping I don't know how he ever really gets anywhere. I am not sure what kind of tourer I will be. I figure it will be the former this time - just about the ride. But as I do more and more touring I will learn my driving limits and distances and stop to smell the roses. One of the problems for me is the Ferry. I don't think I will be taking it on the way back but rather go through Michigan and around Lake Huron. If that means longer rides and more time on highways, so be it - I don't want to be constrained so much by the limiting times of the Ferry.

Well...I note that when I download the map for TomTom, it's 6.5 GB...
(do that at home on wifi NOT on Data... takes a long time).

I've never downloaded ANY map for google maps, so I'm guessing it loads maps off the internet as needed.

Try this: take your phone and turn WiFi / Data (4g) OFF entirely. (Simulate NO signal of any kind)
then.... try google maps... does it work?

It might work for local area (things you have cached), but the first time it needs a map it doesn't have, it will choke as it has no place to get this map.

I played with it a little and actually it does! You have to download the area first, of course. Area that can be downloaded is limited though. Example this is max area it would let me download for one map:

Capture+_2017-08-24-14-19-29.jpg

I think you can only have 25 maps but that should be plenty between times when you have no wifi or signal(I have unlimited data so it doesn't matter to me wifi or 4G signal). Note that google indicates you can use maps in offline mode while using other apps online if you wish to save data.

The app is able to navigate across maps too. Notice that the map with Weber Grill doesn't include Louisville but the app can still navigate from Louisville to any place on the map (I just searched Weber Grill randomly).

Capture+_2017-08-24-15-04-52.jpgCapture+_2017-08-24-15-07-06.jpg

The app was able to generate turn by turn navigation to Weber Grill Chicago from Louisville while I was in airplane mode!

Next I downloaded another map including the Detroit area - notice Detroit wasn't in the previous map.

Capture+_2017-08-24-15-30-10.jpg Capture+_2017-08-24-15-29-25.jpgThen went to airplane mode and searched for the Rennaissance Center. The app was able to locate the Center and provide turn by turn instructions while in airplane mode. This trip would go across 3 separate downloaded maps but does it seamlessly.

I really have a hard time understanding how Garmin and the like stay in business.

I actually LOVE planning trips. On longer trips, it's harder to stick to a schedule, but for a long weekend like this, I think you're safe to make accommodation reservations as long as you plan your routes ahead of time. If you're in a pinch, booking.com works well on the road. The key is to set a reasonable distance to travel each day with enough extra time for exploration, food, etc, so you're not rushed and can enjoy everything.
It's been my experience that Google maps is quite accurate for travel time estimations. I also use Rever to plan my routes, which allows me to save a gpx track. For me, it's fun to sit at the computer and find roads to explore on my trip and drag my route around. I use the saved tracks with OsmAnd, which does NOT give you an accurate travel time, but it works well enough. When it comes to choosing your roads, I like to take scenic roads whenever possible (we all do), but if it's a long distance, I'll add in interstate in short chunks, like one hour or two at a time with breaks on fun roads. It helps keep the ride a little less boring and fatiguing without extending it too far. i also like to find local restaurants with good reviews and plan my lunch stops, but I'm a bit of a foodie. Ok more than a bit. However, if I were on a long trip, I would not be planning this far in depth, because life is too unpredictable and it would also be too much work.

I'm not familiar with the area but I would AVOID highways as much as possible and just ride back roads... they are MUCH more enjoyable and scenic. Also stop at the Mom and Pop restaurants and enjoy some of the local flavor. You will undoubtedly draw curious locals who want to talk to you and that is also quite nice.

When I ride 500+ miles in a day I will try to break it up between back roads and highway so I can make the miles I need to make... but highways are boring they all look the same. If you can do back roads and make the mileage you need to make you will enjoy your trip much more.

Also... one last maps tip... I use google maps as my primary turn by turn guidance.... but I have Verizon and they have great coverage so it is very rare that it can't
auto download the map I need. Data usage is not that much with google maps so it shouldn't push your data limits.
If you find you need to ride in the rain... My best solution for that is using Google maps but opening up an app called "Raindar" (Android only) and in the setting enabling roads overlay... you can adjust the opacity. Raindar is animated weather tracking so it shows the rain tracking over the roads... you can adjust your route and speeds to avoid the heavy downpours while still hearing (and usually seeing a pop up) from Google maps as it guides you on your route. On my phone a small pop up window appears at the top of the screen with the next navigation direction (turn right .5 miles, etc) so it doesn't block your view of raindar much.
Make sure you have a waterproof case or buy one of the cheap waterproof clear sleeves selling on Amazon or ebay (less than $10) to slide your phone into. You can turn the sleeve upside down so you can keep the phone connected and charging while inside the sleeve. Lastly... get a stylus for using without taking your gloves off. Tether it with that thin stretchy type string so you can use it with your phone when you need to (you should stop riding to do this).

But most of all just enjoy the ride..... I can tell you my most enjoyable rides have all been on back roads.... unfortunately I usually find myself travelling far enough that I HAVE to do highway since I do not have the luxury of taking lots of vacation days. Even long highway rides broken up by some back roads cutting through between highways are much more enjoyable than straight highway travel.

If I'm understanding it correctly it's 7 hours from St Thomas to the starting point of the tour and the tour itself is 14 hours. That means 7 hours/day riding without adding in gas stops & breaks.

If I'm understanding it correctly it's 7 hours from St Thomas to the starting point of the tour and the tour itself is 14 hours. That means 7 hours/day riding without adding in gas stops & breaks.

It's broken up.

It is a 4 hour ride to the ferry, then waiting for the ferry to leave, about 2 hours on the ferry (3:40 pm-5:25 pm), and then from 1.5 to 2.5 hours depending on which town I want to or can stay at.

So, it is a long day but not 7 hours of consistent riding... it makes it a long day and there is not much I can do about that.

From there, Google maps says it is about 5.5 hours each day around Algoma. I thought 3 hrs in the morning and 3 in afternoon would be a reasonable amount of driving to handle.

I also have the option of skipping the Algoma tour and going right down through Michigan along Lake Huron - which was my original plan and may be more reasonable for this tour.

That is also a holiday weekend for the states (Labor Day weekend), so hotels may be booked more than normal (considered here in the states as the end of summer).

I am planning on a tour on Sept 1-4th and it is going to be my first away from home bike tour.

I also have the option of skipping the Algoma tour and going right down through Michigan along Lake Huron - which was my original plan and may be more reasonable for this tour.
Sounds like a great first ride! Best to keep alternative routes or destinations planned in case of road/traffic conditions or weather (and of course, Murphy's Law). Don't overthink or overpack, learn by your experiences. Your on the right track, just ride and enjoy!

Ray

It is a 4 hour ride to the ferry, then waiting for the ferry to leave, about 2 hours on the ferry (3:40 pm-5:25 pm), and then from 1.5 to 2.5 hours depending on which town I want to or can stay at.

So, it is a long day but not 7 hours of consistent riding... it makes it a long day and there is not much I can do about that.

From there, Google maps says it is about 5.5 hours each day around Algoma. I thought 3 hrs in the morning and 3 in afternoon would be a reasonable amount of driving to handle.

There is a sayin' "the chain is strong as its weakest link". You make a room reservation and then one of your links (flat tire, ferry late or broken, your lunch at a local restaurant took a bit longer then you planned, it took some extra time at a rail-road crossing, sudden rain pouring...) cause you to ride at night, at crazy traffic, to get to the destination. You're getting pissed off, scared as hell of the crazy truck driver passing you on at 75 mph... You're unhappy. And you didn't have time to make a stop at the beautiful place on a lake, and the 10 minutes visit to an old church was to much - you're already late... I KNOW it could happen because it happened. To me. Since then, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. Sometimes I'll ride only 100 miles - and be very happy what I saw/did that day. Sometimes you just have to stop and smell the roses. :D
There is much more motels on your (every) route that Google Maps will not show. There are always small, local, cheap (sometimes a bit dirty, but, as somebody mentioned earlier, there are small and light and cheap sleeping liners that can fix it) motels along the road you can use.

Carry a paper map or atlas....i find I miss less when I spend a few minutes with a paper map. You also won't have to worry about a signal. As for booking ahead, I will sometimes do.it one night ahead, sometimes not.

Back