• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Twin Brake Discs for Front Wheel

Taking my "new" 1976 BMW 750 around for a spin reinforced for me how far single disc braking technology has come. I did not remember how bad single ATE brakes were. My 1977 R100RS had a pair of them and wouldn't stop worth a flip. The NC's brakes are like dropping an anchor by comparison.

I shall resolve on the BMW to be vewy vewy careful!

The Brembos on my R100 were pretty good and not fussy like ATEs but the OEM discs were very soft metal and needed replacing by 75,000 miles.

I think the journalist's period description of how the R100's softly sprung forks collapse under hard braking ranks among the classics of airhead literature. "The BMW forks collapse like a pole-axed mule under hard braking". I paraphrase because I gave away all literature to the buyer when I sold mine. Better braking would have required better suspension so it all worked OK as it was I suppose. It was still good for the time.

There are a lot of things to like about airheads and some of those things are best left remembered and not compared to modern motorcycles.

Last edited:
The Brembos on my R100 were pretty good and not fussy like ATEs but the OEM discs were very soft metal and needed replacing by 75,000 miles.

I think the journalist's period description of how the R100's softly sprung forks collapse under hard braking ranks among the classics of airhead literature. "The BMW forks collapse like a pole-axed mule under hard braking". I paraphrase because I gave away all literature to the buyer when I sold mine. Better braking would have required better suspension so it all worked OK as it was I suppose. It was still good for the time.

There are a lot of things to like about airheads and some of those things are best left remembered and not compared to modern motorcycles.

Tru all dat. I remember the "pole-axed mule" statement. Very funny. I replaced the Brembo calipers on my 92 R100 with dual piston Brembos from a R1100 bike. I had to mill the mounting faces down in order to center the calipers on the disks. Then I upsized the master cylinder to 15mm and put in progressive springs. Not perfect, but much better. I am striving to keep this one at least visually stock. I am resisting the urge to upgrade the brakes and will try to settle for making sure that the ATE setup is being "all it can be". Mostly that means adjusting the eccentric cams at every oil change.

Honestly I do,nt know why you guys have got your knickers in a twist over fitting a second disc,

Please make your replies containing quotes pertinent to the quoted text.

I most certainly don't have my knickers in a twist over fitting a second disc. I didn't express an opinion either way about fitting a second disc. My post spoke of nothing other than the sort of consumer reaction I think would have arisen had Honda offered a second disc as an option.

(Does your keyboard not have a key for apostrophes?)

Last edited:
The rotor that is currently on the front will is as big as two normal rotors. If you are predominate dirt use, put on a 21", front tire and rim. Better in sand. But for street and dirt roads the 17 inch works. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Bringing up this old thread. The new CB650F has dual discs front wheel and forks that look like a good fit to NC. Not something I would do though :p

The rotors are also mounted to the spoke rather than the hub :)

jejeguzu.jpg

ybydu8uh.jpg

Despite me being a bit of a stodgy naysaying stick in the mud when replying to people wanting to hop up the un hop-uppable NC engine, lol, or make a fiendishly MotoGP-like stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change, pinky finger uber braking machine, I do nevertheless, wish all the luck and power in the world to them.

For me, most cool things happen when someone does something everyone else says can't or shouldn't be done; or when the mob perversely wishes them ill, for daring to go against the status quo.

It may very well be silly, or a waste of money, or a completely quixotic quest for them, but I think of totally stupid things I would dearly love to do, just about every waking moment, hee hee...:eek:

Despite me being a bit of a stodgy naysaying stick in the mud when replying to people wanting to hop up the un hop-uppable NC engine, lol, or make a fiendishly MotoGP-like stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change, pinky finger uber braking machine, I do nevertheless, wish all the luck and power in the world to them.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: hahahahahahahaha

Back