• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trouble getting it started

K

kungfoo222

The bike used to start right up with a short blip on the starter button. Lately, it takes a few rounds of cranking to finally get the bike fired up. This is mostly noticeable if the bike is not already warm. I checked the battery voltage and its fine, but I don't know where to go from here. Any ideas as to what the problem might be or what I should check next?

Thanks.

Without actually being present to look the bike over myself, I could guess all day long. But I will take a stab at it.

I would have to look, but assuming that this motor has a crankshaft sensor.. that could be the culprit. Could be a fuel pump issue. Could be something to do with the ignition system or module.

I agree with Fuzzy, with heat check compression, first. Valves. Unless some sort of detonation / Pre-ignition sound, then timing, CPU, like n30r3l0as3d said. Without actually being present to look at and hear the unit it is impossible to say. I would check valves first, unit must be cold to check valves.

The bike gets a lot of use, and rarely sits. I haven't noticed a difference between different gas stations, and everything sounds/feels fine once it starts. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.

It's at 16,000 miles now, so it is due for a valve check. I'll give that a shot.

As a lot of you folks who watch your miles per gallon know, different gas stations do make a difference. This is a lot clearer on your motorcycle than in your 4 wheeler. What has always amazed me is that price has nothing to do with the quality of the gas. The octane really does make a difference in miles per gallon. It has always been a point that some motorcycles require premium high octane gas, and then advertise good gas miles. The law needs to have the manufactures advertise pennies per gallon not miles per gallon.

As a lot of you folks who watch your miles per gallon know, different gas stations do make a difference. This is a lot clearer on your motorcycle than in your 4 wheeler. What has always amazed me is that price has nothing to do with the quality of the gas. The octane really does make a difference in miles per gallon. It has always been a point that some motorcycles require premium high octane gas, and then advertise good gas miles. The law needs to have the manufactures advertise pennies per gallon not miles per gallon.

What the law should do is force labeling of gasoline energy content. People are so easily fooled into thinking that higher octane means higher energy content, when it in fact premium could have the same or less energy than the cheaper fuels.

Also, the pumps simply state: "May contain up to 10% alcohol". So you don't even know what you're getting. Going from 0% alcohol to 10% alcohol will drop your MPG by 3% right there.

I get my mid 80s MPG using the cheapest 87 octane I can find.

Greg

Ditto on the valve check idea. Too tight valves cause too much timing overlap which hurts idle speed and starting operation. Other parts of the Honda engine are pretty much fool proof, but the fuel quality (water in it) and the valve clearance are big variables.

Greg

A Long, long time ago the stock answer to hard starting was to inspect spark plugs and wires and clean or replace as necessary. With today's unleaded fuel and iridium plugs we tend to forget about the need for a spark, but there's always a chance, but it's a long shot, that there is an issue with plugs or wires.

Bob

I am in a county that requires the 10% alcohol. This is properly the reason everyone gets better gas mileage than me. It couldn't possibly be because I am fat?

Back