• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trip "A" data reset itself!!! I guess I got a bad one!

FYI: Honda is aware of the problem and is working on it, the UK fix method doesn't work on the North America models.

Just returned from a trip of 3500 miles. Both of the trip meters randomly reset themselves all throughout the trip. I have concluded to just not use them for anything at all. At fuel-ups I write down my total mileage and then figure my mileage (if I am interested) from the last fill-up and gallons added. The math is simple; the trip meters useless. Some day Honda will fix it; don't count on that being anytime soon. In the meantime enjoy the bike--it's still a great ride!

Just a heads up, "Trip B" will reset once it reaches 999 miles -- every single time. Just as a heads up.

I haven't tested Trip A to see if it does that, as I reset each time I fill up, but "Trip B" definitely resets at 999 miles.

Sounds like they found a way to save some money making the dashboard on the later models...
I find it interesting that 1) no one is complaining about main odometer resets (since the method of calculation is more or less the same for both trip and main)and 2) that the trip meters sometimes do not reset (go back to zero) but instead go to more or less random numbers (that rules out a bad reset switch in the dashboard which would be an understandable fault) and 3) that the resets seem to happen when the bike is running and not just when it is off (which would rule out a bad backup battery or capacitor for the memories). Hmmm, maybe a combination of a bad or noisy power connection AND a bad backup cap.....

My 2012 has shown no problems (that I noticed) with the trip meters, and I use Trip A daily instead of the funky gas gauge about which I have commented extensively elsewhere on this forum.

But what is this about a 'fuel mileage indicator'. Mine (US 2012 model) doesn't have any such thing, or at least it is not mentioned in the manual.
If this is something that was added in the later models? If so, then did they fix that idiot, embarrassing (or it would embarrass me, if I had designed it) gas gauge that goes directly from two bars to flashing low fuel warning ?
I submit that the answer to that question is an indicator about how much Honda really cares about quality details.

Please just give me a mechanical speedo with trip meter a mechanical tach, and a real fuel reserve valve, and I will be happy, and will save much money in the long run.
I like the NC, but I have been a Honda rider from the beginning and have owned a string of used Hondas over the years. The NC is my first new bike purchase, and like new cars I doubt I will ever buy another new m/c.
For my money the NC is nice enough, but it is full of cheap, tinny construction that will surprise me if it stands the test of time. Let's see, my '74 CB360G is still running strong 40 years later, so I should reasonably expect the NC to still be running with no major repairs (like an electronic dash replacement or other electronic module failure that renders one a pedestrian and cannot be fixed by the side of the road) in 2052. Highly unlikely, IMO, and I am an electrical engineer by trade. Electronics are nice for flash and cheap, but mechanical can't be beat for reliability. When EMP or a major sunspot event fries all electronics and makes every vehicle made since 2000 a doorstop, I will go out and kick over the 360 and go for a ride.

Sounds like they found a way to save some money making the dashboard on the later models...
I find it interesting that 1) no one is complaining about main odometer resets (since the method of calculation is more or less the same for both trip and main)and 2) that the trip meters sometimes do not reset (go back to zero) but instead go to more or less random numbers (that rules out a bad reset switch in the dashboard which would be an understandable fault) and 3) that the resets seem to happen when the bike is running and not just when it is off (which would rule out a bad backup battery or capacitor for the memories). Hmmm, maybe a combination of a bad or noisy power connection AND a bad backup cap.....

1) Some of us have complained, Honda knows of my problem.
2) My trip meter does go back to zero, not always a random number.
3) Mine has NEVER reset while the engine is on, always after it's been shut off and then back on, and not all the time, but enough for me to complain.

My 2012 has shown no problems (that I noticed) with the trip meters, and I use Trip A daily instead of the funky gas gauge about which I have commented extensively elsewhere on this forum.

But what is this about a 'fuel mileage indicator'. Mine (US 2012 model) doesn't have any such thing, or at least it is not mentioned in the manual.
If this is something that was added in the later models? If so, then did they fix that idiot, embarrassing (or it would embarrass me, if I had designed it) gas gauge that goes directly from two bars to flashing low fuel warning ?
I submit that the answer to that question is an indicator about how much Honda really cares about quality details.

Please just give me a mechanical speedo with trip meter a mechanical tach, and a real fuel reserve valve, and I will be happy, and will save much money in the long run.
I like the NC, but I have been a Honda rider from the beginning and have owned a string of used Hondas over the years. The NC is my first new bike purchase, and like new cars I doubt I will ever buy another new m/c.
For my money the NC is nice enough, but it is full of cheap, tinny construction that will surprise me if it stands the test of time. Let's see, my '74 CB360G is still running strong 40 years later, so I should reasonably expect the NC to still be running with no major repairs (like an electronic dash replacement or other electronic module failure that renders one a pedestrian and cannot be fixed by the side of the road) in 2052. Highly unlikely, IMO, and I am an electrical engineer by trade. Electronics are nice for flash and cheap, but mechanical can't be beat for reliability. When EMP or a major sunspot event fries all electronics and makes every vehicle made since 2000 a doorstop, I will go out and kick over the 360 and go for a ride.

It's only the 2013-2014 (worldwide) models that have shown dash tripmeter problems, and I can only find one case of possible speedo weirdness here on the forum, but so far no blatant Odometer errors have been reported anywhere.

Not that I don't agree with quite a few of your points of view, but in reality I'm afraid eventually horse drawn carriages and vacuum tubed devices get replaced by more and more technologically dependent counterparts. Personally I may not like LCD and electronic dashes over good 'ol analogue mechanical needle gauges, but I can also honestly say I've had more failures with the old ones than the new ones too, so...

Most of us tend to "freeze" in a period where we individually feel the balance of old versus new tech, should stop. Carbs rather than EFI. Kickstarts and push button, rather than just electric start. Silicon chips or Carbon Nanotubes? Sparkplugs and CDI or coil-on-cap? Points and ballast resistors?

"I submit that the answer to that question is an indicator about how much Honda really cares about quality details."

Well if so, then my $$$$ BMW designers worked elbow to elbow with the Honda dudes, lol.

My NC750XA is less than 4 weeks old and has covered 841 miles according to the main odometer, which I believe is correct. However both trips are not so much resetting themselves but failing on occassions to save the total when the ignition is switched off. Take this morning I left home with 20.5 miles showing on trip A. I rode 19 miles to work which means there should have been 39.5 miles on the trip. When I came out of work to ride home it had 20.5 miles on it. So I figure that it failed to save the 39.5 reading. However in the first place when I set out this morning the reading should have read 39.5 to start with as I had filled up and reset and then done a return journey to work so since Tuesday it has lost 38 miles.

I have mentioned it to the dealer who sold me the bike and I await a reply.
Mike

Back