• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire life

frozenpoet

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles have you gotten out of your tires? The stock tires I'm just under 7000 miles and I have started to show the cords, that is pretty crappy mileage if you ask me. My next set is going to be dunlop roadsmart tires, not my first choice but motorcycle superstore is running a pretty good deal on them and I've had good experience with other dunlop tires.

Changed mine at 10k with alittle to spare, just wanted to change them before the trip to Texas. Wanting 15k out of my pr3's.

I changed out my rear at the 8k service. It had tread left but I was leaving on what was supposed to be a 3,000 mile trip (ended up being 5,000) and I didn't want to deal with it on the road. At around 14k now and the front is getting close. Probably change it out in a couple weeks.

I'm at 9,200 on my Bridgestones with more life left. I think I will make it to 10,000 before I put my Pilot road 3's on.

I put Ride On in my tires from the first day I got the bike. I pulled off the factory tire weight off and threw it in the trash. Because water seeks its own level, Ride On keep my tires in perfect balance the entire life of the tire. As I wore off some rubber, Ride On corrected for it. I got 12,000 from the Bridgestone 023 tires, and could easily pushed them to 14,000 miles. When I take my bike down for service I do everything at once. So at every 12000 miles, new tires with Ride On added, set valves, new coolant, new brake fluid, new oil (change mine every 6,000) , new chain, etc. Get every thing together a head of time, that way my bike is only down a few hours. With my predominate riding being on road, some dirt roads, and very little sand I stuck with what I know works. Replaced with another set of Bridgestone 023 Touring tires. Really like them, rain or shine, have had good luck. As a matter of fact, nothing on this bike has gave me any trouble.3.jpg

SmileyBubble.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I changed my rear stock Z8 at 12,000 (km) for a BT023. The front stock Z8 is still there at 14,000 (km)

For those interested in this "special" front Z8 / rear BT023 combination, I will say it handles pretty well, even better than Z8 / Z8 I would say. Anyway, I plan to change the front Z8 for another BT023 in a couple of thousands or so

I agree with you. The Bridgestone BT023 stock tire that comes with the NC700 is a nice tire for street use. Harder center core for better mileage, and softer side rubber for the curves. These are good street tires.0.jpg

smileySkelton.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I put Ride On in my tires from the first day I got the bike. I pulled off the factory tire weight off and threw it in the trash. Because water seeks its own level, Ride On keep my tires in perfect balance the entire life of the tire. As I wore off some rubber, Ride On corrected for it. I got 12,000 from the Bridgestone 023 tires, and could easily pushed them to 14,000 miles. When I take my bike down for service I do everything at once. So at every 12000 miles, new tires with Ride On added, set valves, new coolant, new brake fluid, new oil (change mine every 6,000) , new chain, etc. Get every thing together a head of time, that way my bike is only down a few hours. With my predominate riding being on road, some dirt roads, and very little sand I stuck with what I know works. Replaced with another set of Bridgestone 023 Touring tires. Really like them, rain or shine, have had good luck. As a matter of fact, nothing on this bike has gave me any trouble.

I'm using Ride-on in my tires also. I have over 8,100miles on my stock Z8's. Still have some tread on them probably a few thousand more miles on the rear. I downshift while decelerating, use the rear brake and I don't think I'm the most gentle on the throttle on take off either.

I am actually quite happy with the tire wear. Just past 6,000 miles and the rear looks really good. I have no doubt I can make it to 10K.

I'm pleased with the BT023's tread life even though they are a tad noisy for my taste. I'm hoping to get a minimum 15K on the PR3's though. 20k would be better.

For people wearing out their rear tires quickly here's some advice. Learn to use the front brake more, it seem lots of people, especially Harley folks and dirt bike converts to street seem to use primarily the rears and they're the same people who I always hear a story from of being forced to lay 'er down to avoid an accident. Even on the advanced MSF rider course they often have you practicing even parking lot maneuvers using solely the front brake. That way if you need to panic stop you will instinctively reach for the front brakes which can provide upwards of 90% of your stopping force.

Another upside to using primarily your front brakes is your tires wear more evenly. Lotta people that love to use just the rear brake go through like 4 rear tires before replacing the front. I usually go though two rears to one front but the rears last almost double. Generally I average about double the miles many people average on rear tires because I don't stomp and shift at redline at every start. And I only really use my rear brakes when I need maximum stopping power or am maneuvering in the parking lot.

I had a Honda Shadow 750 before and with Metzeler Marathons people would report getting 15,000 miles on them. I averaged 25,000 on mine.

If you want a really durable tire I suppose the Pirelli Night Dragons would work and come in the right size. These are tires made for big heavy touring cruisers (with riders who tend to love that rear brake) and can go 10k or more, so on a relatively light weight street bike like the NC700X it ought to last plenty longer especially if you learn to use the front brake properly.

Stock tires ran out last weekend after a pretty long trip. Though i have been riding pretty ruff on gravel roads, they lasted 10 000km. Pretty decent since my last bike would have chewed throu 2 sets by then.. Ordered a set of Avon Distanzia now.

Wow, I must have gotten the Magic Metzlers - I'm at about 11,500 miles and still have plenty of tread left.

My second Metzeler was just replaced at 6,100 miles and it still had 30% life left based on remaining tread depth but I had to plug it with a gummy worm patch and I did not want to tempt fate anymore than I had been as I had been running about 3,000 miles on that gummy worm.

Rider habits, temperatures, road conditions, loaded weight, etc., all are variables that impact individual mileage attained.

I've got 8,500 miles so far... they both still look ok... I'll probably change at 10-12k.

It hardly ever rains here.. And the rain we get is probably done for the year.... so It's just more grip surface on the road I suppose...lol

:rolleyes:

Wow, I must have gotten the Magic Metzlers - I'm at about 11,500 miles and still have plenty of tread left.

My rear Metzeler (Z6) looked awesome @19000 km's (11,806 miles)

...and had me freaked out with major cords showing, @ 19,001 km's. oops :eek:

My front Z6 looked virtually brand new, still.

The rear Z8's on the NCX's appear to have better visual tread wear indicator grooves, but try to be on the safe side, especially if you go on any trips out of town. Wear can suddenly accelerate, and catch you off guard. ;)

Back