• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Throw Over Saddlebags

D

danrev

Is anyone using some type/style of throw-over saddlebags on your NC. Since I'm not using mine as a commuter bike, and don't plan to do any long distance touring (at this point), I can't justify the nearly $900 investment to get the OEM side cases. However, I may do some overnight rides and figure I will need something in which to pack gear. My concern with the throw-over style bags relates to difficulty of removing them for gas fill-ups. So I'm wondering if some have used these and what your experience has been?

I've thought about doing the same thing. I was hoping that the strap would go under the back seat and not be an issue. I haven't got around to looking at any to see if that will work, though.

In looking around, Givi makes a bracket TE1111 just for soft luggage. You do have to get the 1111Kit also but it is more reasonable than other brackets and looks OK. The rear of the NC has a shape that makes it a bit more difficult to use throw over luggage and keep it looking good, I think.

Art

I have been looking for the same thing.i found some at iron pony.the straps should go under seat.soon as it gets warmer i will ride down.they will let me do a test fit.would also like to see if anyone else does it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have mentioned in my first post that my bike came with the OEM mounting bracket for the Top Box already installed. I have added the Top Box, so many of the tail bag suggestions, although nice looking bags, will not work. I just looking for solutions for some added storage capacity without going the OEM side case route.

I believe the Givi mount for saddlebags will work for you:

IMAG0050.jpg

Despite I have the Givi rack, AFAIK it works with the OEM rack as well

BTW, my saddlebags are Kappa (a kind of second Givi trademark):

IMAG0063.jpg

HTH

Bought throw-overs but could not find a frame to fit- so I had 4 L- brackets made and 2 shaped plates (1mm galv steel) to fit inside the bags.
Used 4 small cup-head bolts thru each plate/pair of brackets, sandwiching the back of the bag between plate and brackets. Then bolted each
pair of brackets under the pillion grips.
Works fine, cost- next to nothing!

Bought throw-overs but could not find a frame to fit- so I had 4 L- brackets made and 2 shaped plates (1mm galv steel) to fit inside the bags.
Used 4 small cup-head bolts thru each plate/pair of brackets, sandwiching the back of the bag between plate and brackets. Then bolted each
pair of brackets under the pillion grips.
Works fine, cost- next to nothing!

Can you please post pictures of this setup? I have soft saddlebags and I'm looking for a cheap solution to hold the bags in place upright and sturdy. Thanks.

I use a pair of throw-over bags made by Ogio. They have two main straps, the front strap goes under the rear seat and the rear strap is over the tail section just behind the rear seat. With just me on the bike and clothes in the bags they work great, but when my girlfriend gets on the bike there is some tire rub on the inside of the bags. Since I got them mainly so both of us could pack overnight gear, I've got to come up with some kind of support for the inside of the bags. I thinking some kind of bent rod that will bolt behind the passenger peg framework. There are two threaded holes on each one not being used that I want to take advantage of.

I have the Cortech Sports "Tri-Bag" system that consists of the tailbag and saddle bags that can be used together or separately. I usually just use the tailbag to carry my lunch and laptop during my commute. The saddle bags has straps to mount on the tail. I also use 2 of the straps to tie to the passenger pegs to help straighten and stabilize the bags. Seems to work well.

Below is the stock photo I found online. I have the black version.

03100_9.jpg

I use a pair of throw-over bags made by Ogio. They have two main straps, the front strap goes under the rear seat and the rear strap is over the tail section just behind the rear seat. With just me on the bike and clothes in the bags they work great, but when my girlfriend gets on the bike there is some tire rub on the inside of the bags. Since I got them mainly so both of us could pack overnight gear, I've got to come up with some kind of support for the inside of the bags. I thinking some kind of bent rod that will bolt behind the passenger peg framework. There are two threaded holes on each one not being used that I want to take advantage of.

I got some ortlieb saddlebags from aerostich and am dealing with the same rubbing issue. I added a lashing point on the rear inside corner of the bags to tie to the license plate bracket, but will probably add a support bar between the frame/pass.footpeg and plate bracket for extra measure. it's a work in progress, so when I come up with something definitive, I'll post my sucess (most likely). The first hastey attempt didn't go too well...(don't ask)

Is anyone using some type/style of throw-over saddlebags on your NC. Since I'm not using mine as a commuter bike, and don't plan to do any long distance touring (at this point), I can't justify the nearly $900 investment to get the OEM side cases. However, I may do some overnight rides and figure I will need something in which to pack gear. My concern with the throw-over style bags relates to difficulty of removing them for gas fill-ups. So I'm wondering if some have used these and what your experience has been?

I was able to run one of the straps under the rear seat and it worked slick as goose poop! I have to work out some sort of support to keep the bags away from the tire, but otherwise, it should work great. I think some of it depends on the way the straps work on the individual set of bags. Here are a couple of pictures with the seat up and down.

2013-05-31%2006.48.16-L.jpg

2013-05-31%2006.47.57-L.jpg

I was able to run one of the straps under the rear seat and it worked slick as goose poop! I have to work out some sort of support to keep the bags away from the tire, but otherwise, it should work great. I think some of it depends on the way the straps work on the individual set of bags. Here are a couple of pictures with the seat up and down.

2013-05-31%2006.48.16-L.jpg

2013-05-31%2006.47.57-L.jpg

Any chance at some more pictures of your setup? Also what bags are those? I am thinking about the Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags but I am guessing that they would hang to low to clear the exhaust canister.

Any chance at some more pictures of your setup? Also what bags are those? I am thinking about the Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags but I am guessing that they would hang to low to clear the exhaust canister.

I'll get to it soon, but I'm on vacation with my family this week. The bags are Oxford Sport bags. I bought them used, so I don't know if they are still in production. They taper from front to back so the bottom edge parallels the exhaust. There is plenty of clearance.
The Wolf man bags are squared and taller so it could be a problem.
I'll post up a view from the side when I get home.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4

Back