• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thoughts on clipping someone's mirror?

Daniszeman

Reaction score
Visit site
How do you guys feel if you clip someone's mirror, especially if you're lane splitting(or hypothetically, for those who can't)?

If you're in a car, and someone clips your mirror, what would your reaction be? What if they caused damage in some way?

Couldn't say. I've driven over a million miles in cages and 175K on motorcycles and clipping mirrors has never happened to me. Is this a common event?

Greg

Happened to me once in the past 6k miles. When I say clipping a mirror, is that my mirror made contact with someone's mirror, and the mirror(s) might be bent, tweaked, or possibly damaged/broken.

I'd be livid if someone clipped my mirror if I were in my car.

If I clipped someone's mirror on the bike (assuming I didn't then take a dive into their front wheel well) I'd stop and apologize profusely for misjudging my spacial awareness. Unless they had swerved in on me in which case I'd... oh wait... NSA. Nevermind.

Lane splitting is illegal here so I don't do. I also don't yield any portion of my lane at all... if I don't get all the benefits of riding a motorcycle, neither will the surrounding cars.

While I have heard of bikes taking someone's mirror off, I can't imagine how. You'd have to really be moving or knock your handlebar on it. In which case I'd probably go down. But, I have tagged a couple mirrors, no damage to them, a little scuff on mine. The mirror moved out of the way. Not a big deal.

Where I live, striking another vehicle and continuing on your way is a criminal offense, punishable with imprisonment.

How do you guys feel if you clip someone's mirror, especially if you're lane splitting(or hypothetically, for those who can't)?

If you're in a car, and someone clips your mirror, what would your reaction be? What if they caused damage in some way?

I'd be pretty unhappy. The difference between clipping my mirror (causing damage) and pointing a weapon at me and demanding money isn't much. In both cases, I have to surrender money at someone else's demand.

I NEVER lane split... I recognize that it's legal and that others are free to do it, but I don't do it myself.

Well it happens to me here and there, not always good in determining if I can pass through without contact. I stop, turn, apologize by waving a hand and asking if all is well with the cage mirror. No damage done so far and usually people are nice to expect apology, I guess that is because I acknowledged my mistake and stopped showing intention to pay if needed.
When I'm in the cage, I am aware of fellow riders and am always moving in the lane to allow them some breathing space. It feels good to receive a nod or a friendly wave from them when they manage to pass by :)

It depends on the incident. If it's a very light tap.. and obvious to everyone no damage was done, I'd try to wave an apology wave. If there is any possibility of damage to their mirror I'd stop and talk to the driver to see what they wanted done to make it right. If there is any possibility that you caused damaged to another person's property you should do no less.

Well, here's another hypothetical - what if you're lane splitting slow moving traffic, and you clip the mirror, but now you're already a car length or 2 away, would you come to a stop, go back, and talk to the driver?

Well, here's another hypothetical - what if you're lane splitting slow moving traffic, and you clip the mirror, but now you're already a car length or 2 away, would you come to a stop, go back, and talk to the driver?

It all depends on if you inflicted damage on someone else's property... if you did, the right thing to do is make it right. I'd either stop and wait for them to move up to where I was or try to back up to them (if they are not far back). If it's just a tap and no damage try to acknowledge by apology wave or something and move on.

I don't remember hitting any mirrors when I lived in California but it is certainly possible that I did. I was a voracious lane splitter. If I did, it was relatively low speed between stopped cars and it would be very difficult to give the wave or come back. I also have lane split in many cities on a bicycle and have certainly brushed a few mirrors. I always assume no damage or I would be on the ground and keep going but do give an apologetic wave. I've also been on the receiving end stopped in my car and that is usually what cyclists do.

My driver side mirror got whacked a few months back. It startled me quite a lot because I didn't see/hear the bike coming in evening SoCal freeway rush hour traffic! Just a sudden loud hollow thump & the bike was long gone! Fortunately the mirror housing folds forward as well as back so no damage was done but it took a while before I got off the roadway to readjust the mirror back. Not particularly convenient but not the end of the world either!
Many people around the area learn to not be too anal about their vehicles because it's all but impossible to avoid minor damage even when parked in lots. There are just too many idiots around and there's little choice but to contribute to the high insurance rates if the damage exceeds your deductible or just eat it when it doesn't!
That said, I do lane split often but have yet to tag anyone's mirror or anything else (though I have come close)! It's hard to imagine that if I did that it'd be safe or practical to go back to scope things out if I ever did.
Sadly such things are just the hazards of L.A. traffic for the most part!

I guess that's why lane splitting is illegal in Texas...some of you, judging by ur posts, wouldn't do well here!

I guess that's why lane splitting is illegal in Texas...some of you, judging by ur posts, wouldn't do well here!

Are you referring to someone in particular? I posed a hypothetical question, and everyone so far has voiced that they would stop and/or notify the driver. Nobody has suggested to ride off as if it never took place.

I've read that every time you go out on your motorcycle, you becom an emissary for all motorcyclists.

If you are aggressive, inconsiderate, or dangerous, it reflects badly on all of us.

It's a question of Morals.
If the guy was driving a souped up Ferrari, then I just shrug and ride off. :p

If it was an old lady driving an old Fiat, I'd stop and pay her.
:p
I am afterall, human.

Back