• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

These DCT gearboxes are all the rage you know!

I was actually just talking about these transmissions last weekend with one of my Dad's cousins. He's a truck driver, and tends to specialize in a lot of the more unique hauls that are done, not just the standard tractor and trailer sort of thing. He's a little bit old school, but he seems fairly positive about these new transmissions. The big question though, as with anything new, is overall cost and durability. When they break, who's going to fix it? If these take off I can see a lot of scrambling being done by truck shops to keep current.

Cost of repair and durability is no less of an issue for us DCT owners, surely?

I'd have to agree with Jelly on this.

Both my father and grandfather were resistant to change, "Old School Dudes". They would have came up with excuses such as "Cost of Repair" as a reason not to buy into the idea. Me on the other hand, I see value in technology and possibilies it will present us all in the future.

Long live the DCT!!!

Can't wait for my DCT. Next week I will have all the enthusiasm you bring to the DCT!!!!

TOTAL BUMMER DUDE!!! Sure is going to be a long weekend, isn't it?

The Rewards will be worth the wait. Just remember that "S-Mode" is going to be the "Mode" of all trades that you will be turning to quite often.

TOTAL BUMMER DUDE!!! Sure is going to be a long weekend, isn't it?

The Rewards will be worth the wait. Just remember that "S-Mode" is going to be the "Mode" of all trades that you will be turning to quite often.

What about elderly citizen mode when I commute 5 miles to work on surface streets. I need a coffee mug and drink holder on this thing. :) Kind of jk but not 100%

What about elderly citizen mode when I commute 5 miles to work on surface streets. I need a coffee mug and drink holder on this thing. :) Kind of jk but not 100%

Save it for the Highways or where stopping is optional. I use "S-Mode" 90% of the time, the bike rides and responds the way it should. In "D-Mode", the trans will be strong-armed into 6th gear as soon as 40 MPH. This makes the bike sugglish and lug when the throttle is twisted quickly.

I'd have to agree with Jelly on this.

Both my father and grandfather were resistant to change, "Old School Dudes". They would have came up with excuses such as "Cost of Repair" as a reason not to buy into the idea. Me on the other hand, I see value in technology and possibilies it will present us all in the future.

Long live the DCT!!!

This technology is bad, in my opinion. I'm all for comfort and riding experience, but the whole modern urge to give driver less to do when operating vehicles on public roads is only making the roads less safe for everyone.

My car is a stick shift, - I have and will always drive stick shifts - and because of this, when in traffic and having to pay attention to whats going on around me, it's impossible to check your phone, text, read the newspaper, put on makeup (if you're that way inclined), eat, drink etc because one hand is on the wheel and the other is on the gear stick. I completely believe I'm a safer driver because of it. Allowing cars to be operated by one hand was the stupidest mistake the modern world has done. Add all the extra gizmos and the driver gets to care even less about the road around them and their driving conditions:

Blind spot indicators (so drivers are no longer burdened with looking over their shoulders)
Rear view cameras (same reasons as blind spots)
Automatic braking (so now drivers haven't got to look at the road anymore)
Heads-up displays (so the driver can get tunnel vision and become increasing tired and disoriented)
Cruise control (so drivers don't get uncomfortable behind the wheel, allowing them to drive far longer than they should safely do)
Automatic reverse parallel parking (heaven forbid you learn how to operate your vehicle and gain the skill)
etc, etc.

We're all bikers, we've all had idiot drivers pulling into our lane and forced us to hit the brakes hard (if it hasn't happened to you yet, it's coming, so be ready and stay alert). If the driver was more aware of the traffic around them instead of letting buzzers, lights, and sensors to assist them, I don't think these dangerous encounters would happen nearly as much.

Now, on to bikes.

DCT is just the beginning. Now you only need one hand to operate a motorcycle (if you're really good at balancing) and that frees you up to install a cup holder, hold a phone, etc. It's the beginning of a very bad slope. Cruise control is starting to appear on more and more models, and I assume blind spot indicators aren't far behind, so that no rider will have to endure the different wind resistance against their heads when looking for traffic themselves. I hope that other recent thread in here about the rear brake being moved to the handlebars akin to bicycles becomes the case.

Thank about it - a road full of traffic where everyone has to look around everywhere and be alert for as long as they are able to before needing to rest. No more switching lanes without looking, no more falling asleep at the wheel, no more texting and driving. Plus, stick shifts are likely way harder to operate when too drunk to drive.

ABS is the only useful feature that exists, because it helps the user control an action, not makes it for them.

Rant over. Be safe everyone.

This technology is bad, in my opinion. I'm all for comfort and riding experience, but the whole modern urge to give driver less to do when operating vehicles on public roads is only making the roads less safe for everyone.

My car is a stick shift, - I have and will always drive stick shifts - and because of this, when in traffic and having to pay attention to whats going on around me, it's impossible to check your phone, text, read the newspaper, put on makeup (if you're that way inclined), eat, drink etc because one hand is on the wheel and the other is on the gear stick. I completely believe I'm a safer driver because of it. Allowing cars to be operated by one hand was the stupidest mistake the modern world has done. Add all the extra gizmos and the driver gets to care even less about the road around them and their driving conditions:

Blind spot indicators (so drivers are no longer burdened with looking over their shoulders)
Rear view cameras (same reasons as blind spots)
Automatic braking (so now drivers haven't got to look at the road anymore)
Heads-up displays (so the driver can get tunnel vision and become increasing tired and disoriented)
Cruise control (so drivers don't get uncomfortable behind the wheel, allowing them to drive far longer than they should safely do)
Automatic reverse parallel parking (heaven forbid you learn how to operate your vehicle and gain the skill)
etc, etc.

We're all bikers, we've all had idiot drivers pulling into our lane and forced us to hit the brakes hard (if it hasn't happened to you yet, it's coming, so be ready and stay alert). If the driver was more aware of the traffic around them instead of letting buzzers, lights, and sensors to assist them, I don't think these dangerous encounters would happen nearly as much.

Now, on to bikes.

DCT is just the beginning. Now you only need one hand to operate a motorcycle (if you're really good at balancing) and that frees you up to install a cup holder, hold a phone, etc. It's the beginning of a very bad slope. Cruise control is starting to appear on more and more models, and I assume blind spot indicators aren't far behind, so that no rider will have to endure the different wind resistance against their heads when looking for traffic themselves. I hope that other recent thread in here about the rear brake being moved to the handlebars akin to bicycles becomes the case.

Thank about it - a road full of traffic where everyone has to look around everywhere and be alert for as long as they are able to before needing to rest. No more switching lanes without looking, no more falling asleep at the wheel, no more texting and driving. Plus, stick shifts are likely way harder to operate when too drunk to drive.

ABS is the only useful feature that exists, because it helps the user control an action, not makes it for them.

And whilst we're at it let's get a guy with a red flag to walk in front of all motor vehicles to keep their speed to safe level and make sure they don't surprise anyone.

We should also limit max power to 1 hp per wheel.

I looked for an indication of irony somewhere in your post but couldn't find it. I can't believe you're serious.

And whilst we're at it let's get a guy with a red flag to walk in front of all motor vehicles to keep their speed to safe level and make sure they don't surprise anyone.

We should also limit max power to 1 hp per wheel.

I looked for an indication of irony somewhere in your post but couldn't find it. I can't believe you're serious.

Ha, no irony to find. I'm deadly serious, but it's just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. However I think you missed the point. I'm referring to the concern that making driving / riding easier is only going to lead to more distracted drivers, and more distracted drivers means more accidents.

This has nothing to do with speed, power, or performance of the vehicle being operated.

One thing to bear in mind with DCT durability is that there are two Clutches, so they only do 50% of the work each.
So in theory they should last twice as long! :D

Andy

Ha, no irony to find. I'm deadly serious, but it's just my opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. However I think you missed the point. I'm referring to the concern that making driving / riding easier is only going to lead to more distracted drivers, and more distracted drivers means more accidents.

This has nothing to do with speed, power, or performance of the vehicle being operated.

I get the point of drivers being too relaxed. I'm not really a fan of things like heated seats which make people sleepy, but some technologies are actually better when adapted too. Like the mirror cameras for changing lanes. I know looking over your shoulder is avoiding technology but having an eye at that angle should bring some potential increased safety?...maybe? I get you though.

On the other side there's been studies that have obviously proven the mind doesn't truely multi task certain things like playing on your phone and driving. We think we do but really it's just bouncing back and fourth from activity to activity at a very high rate of speed. So.....remove having to think about rev's and moving your leg and hand to shift, I'd argue that that may increase awareness of what's important such as a deer in the road, another car, ext. Wouldn't you think? It's not like we're watching a DVD player with this transmission? We just have less bike to worry about and more time to enjoy the road, the views, and being on the open road. That's the way I feel about this. That's why I loved riding my scooter so much before placing my order for this NC700x DCT. I just enjoy twisting the throttle and riding. And I don't feel like I'm more dangerous because of that nor my future NC700.

I did get your point - mine is that if you extend your attitude then we should all be staying back in the stone age as you're opposed to 99% of technological advances. I do disagree with you. Stupidity is universal and idiots will try to text whilst driving a stick shift or an auto. If they survive the accident they cause we just need to stick their heads in a bucket of water for 10 minutes.

Now, on to bikes.

Like you have never seen a Harley or Gold Wing with cup holders. If you want to drive manual it is a personal choice. Distraction is not an issue with technology such as automatic transmission. I have eaten many a burger and drank plenty of coffee driving a stick shift. Not any more difficult than with an automatic. Dating in high school I taught girlfriends to work the column shift on my command so I could keep an arm around her. Seat belts were an optional accessory back then. Use of seat belts and moving the shift to the floor messed up that pleasure not to mention bucket seats make sitting in the middle uncomfortable.

Admittedly the DCT gives the rider 'less to do', in my case (and many many others) I give more attention to the actual ride and those hazards around me.

Don't blame the tech, blame the attitude of the rider/driver.

Besides, accident rates have dropped dramatically as tech has moved into the auto industry.

One thing to bear in mind with DCT durability is that there are two Clutches, so they only do 50% of the work each.
So in theory they should last twice as long! :D

Andy

In theory, no.

On a dual clutch transmission, most of the time while the bike is in operation, one of the clutches is engaged and one is disengaged. The disengaged clutch's plates are slipping past each other, potentially wearing down and potentially causing friction losses. On a single clutch bike the one clutch spends the vast majority of time engaged, hence there would be less wear.

Back