• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The art of downshifting...

Double De-Clutch is exactly right. I learned it from having the 83 RX-7 as my first car. It's a very high revving car with heavy fly wheel. Without double de-clutching during a downshift, I would lose a lot of speed. So I've heard early on to downshift this way. With a big Duc L-Twin where there is a lot of rotational force (heavy pistols and crank shaft), I find double de-clutching very helpful. Not so much for NCX but I do it anyway.

One big advantage of double de-clutch, especially during a more spirited ride, is that, if done correctly, you will not disrupt your suspension going into a corner and/or cause your rear wheel to skip and hop. Plus you'd be in the middle of the powerband, ready to exit the corner.

I try not to come up on a top that fast, if i can help it.

I also dont down shift less i m on a down grade.

I like to use more clutch in and coast method,

I try with other bike to see what my ultimate economy is, but when the mood hits me and it is time to go then it is time to go through the gears

Not sure what exactly your question is. Are you having issue down shifting to slow down or down shifting to a stop. Anyway, the NCX is so low revving that downshifting by simply slowly letting out the clutch is fine for the most part. But for a more "spirited" riding and with higher revving bikes, I would blip the throttle to match engine RPM when I downshift.

1. Clutch lever in, downshift a gear
2. Clutch still in, blip the throttle to rev the engine up
3. Let the engine RPM fall and when you feel the engine speed matches bike speed at the new gear, Clutch out
4. viola, perfect downshift.
5. When engine braking slows down the bike enough, repeat 1 - 5, until you are in 1st gear
6. Remain in 1st gear with the Clutch lever in

If done incorrectly can't lead this to some sort of tire lockdown? I'd love to practice this but I heard that it can throw you of the bike if done wrong?

If done incorrectly can't lead this to some sort of tire lockdown? I'd love to practice this but I heard that it can throw you of the bike if done wrong?

Yes, the shifting down of too many gears, and/or letting out the clutch too abruptly can result in locking up the rear tire and losing control.

You should always be letting the clutch back out relatively slowly when decelerating though.

If you let it out slowly enough you can hear the pitch/tone change of the engine before it actually begins to slow the bike down. The higher/faster the sound, the lower the gear.

If you are in 5th, going pretty fast, pull in the clutch, shift down to 2nd and then pop the clutch back out, you would surely lock the rear tire, skid and probably crash.

But, if you did the same thing, only sloooooooooooooooooowly started letting the clutch back out, you would hear a high pitched whine that would begin to ramp up very quickly. This would alert you that you were down too many gears. Completely pull the lever back in, shift up one or two, slooooowly start to let the clutch out again. No instant noise, no "I'm running into molasses" feel, and you are probably in the correct gear to smoothly fully let the clutch out while braking.

Last edited:
DCT rider says "clutch"?

DCT stands for Dual CLUTCH Transmission, so yeah, clutch. :)

Those of you who are wanting to Learn downshift technique but are worried about the consequences of doing it wrong may want to try easing into it. Use the technique already described in this thread, but practice it at slow speeds first. Look up the recommended up shift points in the owners manual and use them as your downshift points. At those speeds, even a totally missed attempt at rev matching won't be very unsettling. Once you get the hang of it at low speed, gradually increase speed. You should have it figured out pretty quickly.

Bob

When in traffic, I duck walk, pretend to be running, act like I'm rowing a canoe, dance, blow kisses at the purdy girls. When I downshift, I give the throttle a small blip when doing normal riding. when riding aggressive and I'm just looking for more power I give her a bigger blip.

I try not to come up on a top that fast, if i can help it.

I also dont down shift less i m on a down grade.

I like to use more clutch in and coast method,

I try with other bike to see what my ultimate economy is, but when the mood hits me and it is time to go then it is time to go through the gears

Honestly,I do not think it good to coast ,it,s much better to go down though the box,,you are not forced to use all the gears ,but you should at leased drop down a couple!!!!

When in traffic, I duck walk, pretend to be running, act like I'm rowing a canoe, dance, blow kisses at the purdy girls. When I downshift, I give the throttle a small blip when doing normal riding. when riding aggressive and I'm just looking for more power I give her a bigger blip.
Mr Frigid Poet,,I do,nt know what the hell you are talking about,,,try again...

If you blip the throttle excessively and just drop the clutch (and you are in really low gear), yes, you may accelerate suddenly. It's no different than being in high RPM, drop a gear without blipping throttle, and then drop the clutch, the engine would slow down the rear wheel so much that it would hop/slid. You would loose traction and, worse, lowside.

The trick with shifting and clutching is SMOOTHNESS. Abrupt clutching will only disrupt your suspension and balance, when not done right. So perhaps I would put in a disclaimer that you need to be smooth with the clutch with double de-clutch or with anything shifting in general.

Back