• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The Africa Twin is Back: CRF1000L Africa Twin Confirmed for 2015

Today is the second day of the press riding the Africa Twin in Africa. Either on or off road all the members of the press from all the magazines say this quite often about the DCT.

AT.jpg

On board Honda Africa Twin in Africa

[video=youtube;ZMBZ4cT_ro0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMBZ4cT_ro0[/video]

Last edited:
Your attention please Canadian Gentlemens : I've heard today from my dealer that Honda Canada will reveal the price of the new AT tomorrow !
On my side, I can not seem to bring myself to trade the NC although the AT makes me crave ... we must believe that age brings wisdom.

Over in another forum the Africa Twin thread is approaching 700 pages. One very interesting thing is how well DCT is reviewing in the first ride reviews coming out of the world release in South Africa and many interested riders are saying they would choose the DCT over the manual version just based on motojournalist reviews of the 2016 Africa Twin. For their part Honda seems to have presented the technology well in South Africa and riding the bike did the rest. It's getting very good reviews and I think DCT will enjoy much wider acceptance going forward. Of course those DCT owners here from the beginning already knew how well DCT works with the 700. I wanted DCT in 2012 but was leery of the technology and wondered if I would like it over time. Three years later I really like the change from the manual and look forward to riding it each and every ride.

Like dduelin, I was very leery of the DTC transmission. NOW, I would not purchase any Honda without it. The DTC has proved its value. I read one review in which the rider got the rear wheel dug in all the way to the axel in the sand. He pushed the button to turn off the ABS on the back wheel, changed one of the DTC setting, and he just drove out. I would have still been digging that bike out of the sand! I have a lot of experience digging bikes out of the sand on the Galveston beach dunes.

OK Canadian Guys ! The price is now revealed...
13999$ for the manual model
14299$ for the Rally paint scheme
14999$ for the DCT version
Honda Africa Twin pricing announced for Canada - Canada Moto Guide
56980527.jpg

Last edited:
OK Canadian Guys ! The price is now revealed...
13999$ for the manual model
14299$ for the Rally paint scheme
14999$ for the DCT version

To put that in perspective, Honda Canada lists a price for 2015 NC750X manual as $9199. No price yet shown for the 2016.

In some countries the dealerships are now receiving Africa Twins.

[video=youtube;k_mwZv2aME0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_mwZv2aME0[/video]

[video=youtube;h7ci45EEeJM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_3096165677&feature=iv&src_vid=k_mwZv2aME0&v=h7ci45EEeJM[/video]

I need to stop following this thread. I don't need an AT, I love my NC and it is very, very good to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the final part of the Cycle World initial assessment of the bike. They generally know what they are talking about.......

Pros:
– Clean-sheet design that delivers in all conditions
– Good suspension and chassis
– Refinement at every level

Cons:
– Power-to-weight ratio could be better
– Vague on-road handling
– A bit too sensible

Me too. I am sticking with my NC.

This is the final part of the Cycle World initial assessment of the bike. They generally know what they are talking about.......

Pros:
– Clean-sheet design that delivers in all conditions
– Good suspension and chassis
– Refinement at every level

Those Pros seem to describe a nearly perfect motorcycle. Read them carefully. What more praise could you ask for?

Cons:
– Power-to-weight ratio could be better
– Vague on-road handling
– A bit too sensible

Those Cons sure are the wimpiest bullet points. They had to come up with three because that's their format. Is that the best they can do? As for the power to weight ratio, CW editors are power junkies that scoff at a bike under 100 horsepower. They're so spoiled they don't understand real world motorcycle use. "A bit too sensible"? Of course it's sensible, it's a Honda! I want my bike to be sensible.

My opinion of Cycle World is very low. I get their mag only because it is so cheap, it's nearly free. I read it for about ten minutes and then recycle it. I haven't read the Africa Twin article, however strictly from reading the Pros/Cons, it sounds like a near perfect bike. Maybe CW just doesn't want to admit it.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken the CW writer had to ride his on-road day in the rain. On 21"/18" Dunlop Trailmax tires. Yes, the on-road handling was probably vague as he didn't want to bin the bike.

I have to agree wtih Dave as to the Dunlop Trailmax tires in the rain. Over the years I have found 17" tires work best on pavement, 21" front tires work best in the sand, and the 18" rear tires work for best traction on dirt roads. Most adventure bikes on the market do have 19" front tires and 17" rear tires. As an adventure bike the Africa twin is built more for the adventure rider who spends a lot of time in the dirt.

Last edited:
Guys who ride it here, on the road, while it was raining, said that the bike is really stable. One of the guys, only road user, said that this is one of the most surprising bikes he rode. Really stable even while riding standing up and 120kph

Back