• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The Africa Twin is Back: CRF1000L Africa Twin Confirmed for 2015

No mention of it ever being available in the USA. :confused:

I hope the United States gets this bike, but would guess it would be in 2016. When Honda first spoke of this bike, they mentioned that it would be at the upper end of the price range. When I heard that I thought BMW 1200 GS prices. I hope it doesn't cost that much though, if we even get it. I'm betting we do though.
I guess I should start saving now.

Had a look today. From the front it looks like a Super Ten. Similar motor too. However for me with two up touring requirements, the chain drive immediately puts it out of the reckoning. If it had been around when I was in the market for my KTM Adventure in 2005, I would definitely have considered it. It is truly amazing that Honda have taken ten years to come out with something to match that bike. However this feeding of bits and pieces is to say the least silly. At this point they should have issued full specs and pics so that folks can decide whether to wait or move on.

21 inch front tire will be great for tall folks who ride in a lot of sand. 21 inch front tire means tall seat height not so good for short folks with 28 inch inseam. What will be good for some, will be horrible for others. We are all different.

Last edited:
Love the concept, but:

Chain drive? No, thanks. I'm out.

Sure can't tell anything from that dark picture. What's up with that?

I think the big words "Africa Twin" on the side looks cheesy. I hope the stickers peel off.

Comes in "play it safe" red.

Last edited:
To be a proper Adventure bike a chain is a prerequisite. The other prerequisites are light weight and plenty of usable power. From the get go this bike will be heavy, albeit probably not as heavy as the competition. Power will not be a problem for it as Honda are good at that. However I still think they are too late in a changing environment.

The chain doesn't bother me but the split seat kind of does. I'll have to wait and see what this bike really is before I will decide though.
If it doesn't weigh less than my NC, I may just pass. I really like what I have now and wouldn't have a problem adding a couple more NCX's to the stable and modding them for my boys. I'm betting it would be about the same price.

Last edited:
However I still think they are too late in a changing environment.

So true. I think they will sell a few to the same hardcore ADV riders who have been buying older BMWs and KTMs. But sadly, I think this model will only sell in the US for a few years... if that. There's a reason that both the GS and the Adventure are becoming more and more cushy and dare I say on-road focused. It's what (most of) the riders who can actually afford a $20K+ motorcycle (those that don't buy a Harley bagger) want. I see an unfortunate correlation to what happened to SUVs in the US. Up until the mid 80's they were very specific and targeted machines bought by those who used them for what they were designed for. Then they became chic and all the soccer moms ran out and bought them. But then they *****ed about the rough ride, sparse interior and difficult entry. So, the manufacturers softened them more and more until we are at the point where very few true SUVs even exist anymore. I predict that is the future of the ADV bike market. At least here.

Ok, I'll step off my soap box now.

Last edited:
So true. I think they will sell a few to the same hardcore ADV riders who have been buying older BMWs and KTMs. But sadly, I think this model will only sell in the US for a few years... if that. There's a reason that both the GS and the Adventure are becoming more and more cushy and dare I say on-road focused. It's what (most of) the riders who can actually afford a $20K+ motorcycle (those that don't buy a Harley bagger) want. I see an unfortunate correlation to what happened to SUVs in the US. Up until the mid 80's they were very specific and targeted machines bought by those who used them for what they were designed for. Then they became chic and all the soccer moms ran out and bought them. But then they *****ed about the rough ride, sparse interior and difficult entry. So, the manufacturers softened them more and more until we are at the point where very few true SUVs even exist anymore. I predict that is the future of the ADV bike market. At least here.

Ok, I'll step off my soap box now.

As so goes the Toyota FJ Cruiser RIP 2015?2016? - can compete with about any Jeep off-road but with better on-road manners and comfort than most.

Back