• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Suzuki DRZ400 Single Cylinder Thumper Enduro bike

W

westgl

Suzuki DRZ400 Single Cylinder Thumper Enduro bike.

It is a 300-lbs bike, that is nice and light, and has a good power to weight ratio.

I have been interested in this bike for some time, and may get a used one as they are durable, if taken care of.

These bikes have some torque, and would provide some good fun.

They can do 100+ mph, can go on the street, freeway, and off road.

I had a 2001 DR-Z400S 3 years ago, kept it for one season only...loved this bike a lot for off road but on road it's really not comfortable...the seat his a lot worst than than the NC's...I've had a lot of fun with this bike but dual sport is a world of compromise...Ideally, I'd have at least 4 bikes but can't afford them all...

I had a DRZs for a couple of years and then parted with it for my current KTM 690. I suppose if I am to be honest, I would have to admit that the Suzuki is probably one of the best trail bikes ever built. I had lots of fun on it. It was lacking a little steam on the road as one needed to keep the revs up to maintain a decent cruising speed, and revving a single hard does not sit well with me. Accordingly I moved to the 690, which is more relaxed. Both bikes have their good points but there is little between them overall.

Grump
I had a DRZs for a couple of years and then parted with it for my current KTM 690. I suppose if I am to be honest, I would have to admit that the Suzuki is probably one of the best trail bikes ever built. I had lots of fun on it. It was lacking a little steam on the road as one needed to keep the revs up to maintain a decent cruising speed, and revving a single hard does not sit well with me. Accordingly I moved to the 690, which is more relaxed. Both bikes have their good points but there is little between them overall.

+1 What Grump said.
For me an BMW X-Challenge, and a KTM 450 EXC-R

I would opt for the 400SM model over the others, just for the inverted fork. It does have full on street tires and wheels as oppose to the 21/18 inchers on the other models. There are carburetor differences between models if I remember right, the S has a CV carb, whereas the off-road only bike has a Kehin FCR flat slide carb. The FCR is a much better carb and has a better performance potential. Not sure what your laws are on adding a dual sport kit to an off-road bike, but if you can get a kit for the off-road DRZ you'd have a decent DS bike on your hands. Baja Designs use to make all sorts of kits for different dirt bikes. As for going 100mph....I'm skeptical. It would need some pretty tall gearing, and that would take away a good chunk of its low end pull.

Last edited:
Back