• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Suggestions for new tires?

Lots of great tires out there, I got the Micheline pilot 3 tires. Great for the rain and overall commuting. Good luck with your purchase

I went through the pr4 phase. Went back to shinko 700 series. Half the price, same mileage, better in dirt obviously.

Pr4 did grip like glue on the street.

Been going through different brands and reviews on Revzilla and may have narrowed it down to the Avon AV54 Trail Rider. Had some great reviews and my stock size both front and back. Very little options to match the stock tire size and was going to Frankenstein front and back with different brands and odd ball sizes. May not need to, always trusted my Tourance and Metzler but Avon my have taken first place.

One of the best dirt tires there is the Kenda Big Block. But, if you enjoy sliding through red lights in the rain the Kenda Big Block is a real adventure tire in the rain.

Well, it is raining here, so I "Ride".

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger, in the shop for some for a starting issue and getting Avon Trailriders on. Hope to have it by Sat. so I can load up and get an overnight camp in.

Metzeler Tourance Next

This past September I had a set of Metzeler Tourance Next tires put on my 2013 NC700X.
The Tourance Next were brought out as their next upgrade in their Tourance series of tires.
METZELER - Tourance Next

They are pricey but I was looking for something that would last, be good on non-paved roads, and have the best wet road traction possible.
These are now coming stock on the BMW R1200GS.
So, must be something good with them.
I have put 1000 plus miles on them now.

If you are into kayaking you will understand the meaning to chine.
Chine is how the boat feels when tilted over to turn it.
Hard chine and the boat just WHAM, quickly and very hard tilts.
Soft chine means it easily and smoothly rolls down onto its side to turn.

The Dunlop tires that came on the bike felt a little more like a hard chine when I leaned the bike into a turn.
These Tourance Next are a soft chine.
They turn so smoothly into the turns it is amazing.
They just roll smoothly down in as deep as you want to (or can!) go and back out.
They have given me more confidence in my leans.
Some say they are so smooth that you must take it easy and learn these tires good before getting too rambunctious in turns.
I agree.

They are also very confidence inspiring in the rain.
I no longer avoid rain riding but look forward to it.
Great wet road traction.
A month ago I was out and a lite rain started.
No problem!
Then the lite rain turned into a very wet and heavy snow.
The snow was laying on the grass but the roads remained only wet - good.
But my visor kept getting coated with a thick layer of wet snow.
Had to use my hand to clean my visor every minute.
This was okay, no other riders to wave to in those conditions!
I remained upright throughout.

My driving style indicates I could potentially hit the 12,000 miles (or better!) claimed by Metzeler.
Easy on and easy off the throttle, average RPM around 3K, and maintain tire pressure.
I highly recommend these tires to anyone willing to pay German tire prices!!
Since my life hinges on two things mainly, my riding abilities and the two things between me and the road, I wanted to get a really good tire.
Thing two covered, thing one is a work in progress!

God bless and ride safe!!

Michael

Edit 04-13-2018: I have now put 8000 miles on this set of tires.
Wear is very minimal with lots of deep tread yet and I am expecting to get the full 12000 miles the company states is possible (plus most likely a few more!)

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger, in the shop for some for a starting issue and getting Avon Trailriders on. Hope to have it by Sat. so I can load up and get an overnight camp in.

So my bike and I have never been able to bond. Been on my DR as a city commuter and with the unbelievable crap weather we've had this winter and moon crater pot holes it just wasn't safe to be on the Honda. But if I knew then what I know now I never would have left the dealer with the stock tires. Only recently got back on her after getting the new shoes and I tell you the difference is night and day. She does everything I ask of her and doesn't talk back. If your bike doesn't feel quite right and you still have stock tires don't wait for them to wear out like I did and just get a new set of tires. If these hold up and I have yet to test them in the rain. It will be the only tires this bike will see.

RumRunner, I was wondering if you had an update on the TrailRiders after you've put a season on them. I'm thinking about getting them. I'm torn between them and just a straight ST tire. Stock Dunlops were terrible. Rear only lasted 1300mi. I went to Shinko 705's after that. Pretty good but the wet pavement grip is terrible. Thinking Trailriders, PR4's or 5s, Maybe the Conti Road ATK3, or rolling the dice on the Shinko 016 Verge.

I looked pretty hard at the PR's for my replacement tires for the NC. However I am a pretty layed back, easy on the throttle kind of guy that doesn't really push tires performance limits. My only concern is just things like bad weather that I might get caught in while out riding. So all things considered the price and the performance of the Shinko's was hard to ignore given my needs. So I just pulled the trigger on a set for my NC. Hope to get the new rubber mounted up soon so I can try them out. What stark visual difference the Shinko's are compared to the stock tires. Should be interesting to see how they feel. I hope they wear well.

Just put a brand new PR5, after one week comuting with rain, sounds good...

IMG_0329.jpg

Attachments

• pr5.jpg
    pr5.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
I thought the stock Dunlops were garbage. No grip wet or dry, on road or off. Rear only lasted 1300 miles. Went with the Skinko 705 good on the dry and on gravel, lose in wet pavement. Was thinking about the Avon Trailrider. Went with Dunlop Road Smart 3s for an upcoming road trip. I've been a fan of the Michelin PR 3/4. A buddy of mine had no issue on PR4s on gravel on a CB500x.

I wonder about the 705 as it comes in a slightly higher profile than what Honda calls for 160/60 vs.150/70 ?

I just ordered a Shinko 006 rear for $92 shipped and it comes in the correct 160/60-17....have not heard anyone talk about them.

BTW....love this forum !!

I tried the Kenda K671 tires. 8000 miles on the rear and cord showing. Front tire still looks like new. They are very good tires and less $$$ than most of the other tires. What I don't like about the rear tire, no thread in the one inch center of the tire, just like those PR5s; and as much commuting I do on the Interstate, there is no way of getting around chicken strips in the center. No thread in the center=no wear indicator in the center. If you find my post of my ride last week under 'what did you do with your NC today', you will see a picture of my bike-look closely and you can see excellent side threads still on the bike, when I got home 40 miles later, cord showing directly in center of tire.

I am going to try the Shinko Raven tire (which has a 160/60/17); it has threads in the center; the mom/pop shop I go to, the pop has a HD with the Shiko Raven on it and has over 5000 miles on the tire, still looks good and he likes it, states it has plenty of grip on dry or wet; and it has threads in the center...yea...

^^^^ Just changed my order from the intermediate tread of the 006 Shinko rear to the

Radial longer lasting 009 Raven Shinko..only $5 more.....Thanks David.

Back