• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Strattuner and the 50cc: Updates

Darn - nice try anyway and look forward to some pics (if you got any time to take any). :cool:

You guys have GOT to get together and legalise lane-splitting. If I have do less than 20mph for more than 2 minutes on my bike, I get twitchy...but 3 HOURS! :eek: In Texas! In July! That's more of a torture than the whole 50cc :(

Last edited:
Too bad! But you gotta try. My thought is to avoid big cities or try and time it to dodge rush hours.

I feel so bad for Strat...hopefully the ride back west will be better...it has to be! Sundays are generally congested on I-10 between San Antonio and Houston. A Sunday at the end of a holiday weekend compounds the traffic. I wish I woulda seen this thread in time to help as there are two highways that parrallel the interstate with little or no traffic. Highway 90 is just north of the interstate and even crosses below it a couple of times and Alternate highway 90 (90A) that parrallels the interstate about 15 miles to the south. These are the original "interstate" highways.
Hope you can keep a good attitude and enjoy the ride home Strat!

Hopefully the ride back will not have the bad traffic. I droke from Orlando to Little Rock this weekend and I'd have to say the traffic was much worse than my droive to Orlando. Everyone was on the road this weekend. Good luck on the trip back.

This is Mrs. StratTuner, saying thanks to all of you for your encouragement. Strat has his laptop with him, so when he gets to Jacksonville today, he will probably come on the forum to give his own update. We Skyped last night, and he seems fine. He will not set out from Florida until Tuesday at the earliest. Prayers welcome.

Thanks for your efforts in this, Mrs. Strat! :)

Too bad that traffic hosed up the attempt, but here's hoping an east/west one is successfully accomplished!

It didn't even dawn on me Strats was taking the July 4th weekend to try this. Definitely a middle of the week deal if I ever tried it!
Thank you Mrs. Strats for being so supportive of your other half!

hmm, maybe the return trip I-75 n to I-20, I-20 to I-40 and I-40 to California.

This is a portion of the route I just took this weekend. I-75 into Atlanta can get pretty crazy where it intersects with I-20. I think there may have been some condtruction there too. Can anyone validate that? I just drove through there Sunday. I was crawlingvat 20mph.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Mr. StratTuner speaks for himself!

Today's Updte: Mr. StratTuner... from a cheap motel in Jennings, Louisiana. I didn't make it to Jacksonville today but will tomorrow.
Earlier on the trip, I took the time to wash my sweat soaked one-piece riding suit in the hotel bath tub. Good idea. Leaving my cell phone in a zippered pocket? Bad Idea. I spent hours trying to get Verizon to help me with a pre-paid cell I found at the local Walmart. They finally got service to me today, so I've ducked into this dive to regroup.

I will finish San Diego to Jacksonville tomorrow and take pictures by the Atlantic. I'll stay the night, and then start a 2nd attempt at a 50cc.
(I have no way to print out paperwork in a hotel like this one, so gas receipts will have to do!)

The road home is [HERE]

leg 1: Jacksonville, FL to Fort Smith, AR = 1000 miles
leg 2: Fort Smith, AR to Flagstaff, AZ = 1000 miles
leg 3: Flagstaff to Oceanside, CA = 511 miles

Some hard facts:
1000 miles at 60mph avg takes 17 hrs.
160 miles per tank requires 7 gas stops
1 gas stop = 20 min.
7 gas stops 2.5 hrs.
17hrs + 3 hrs = 20
to arrive at 11PM you have to start at 3AM.
you get 3-4 hours sleep at the two hotel stops.

I've rounded up a little here, but I think this is a pretty accurate appraisal.

I'm breaking the 2nd attempt up into 3rds, not simply in half this time. that gives two sleep nights, not just one, and no leg longer than 1K miles.

I am at the mercy of traffic. One traffic jam will spoil the plan!

Going along the Interstate through Houston today was amazing... what a skyline!
More later.

1000 miles in 20 hours is an average of 50mph, not 60. Nothing kills average speed like time spent at zero miles per hour.

1000 miles in 20 hours is an average of 50mph, not 60. Nothing kills average speed like time spent at zero miles per hour.

As I have noted, math and I are not on speaking terms.... but...

1000 / 60 = 16.6

it seemed safe to round 16.6 to 17. Did I do something wrong in the calculation?

edit: I think I get it. 17 hours is actual ride time. I've added 3 hours to that to get 20.
the 3 hours is rounded up from 2.5. if I were riding constant for 20 hours, your math works.

Last edited:
If things are backed up on I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock, highway 70 parallels the interstate just to the south to Little Rock. Be aware of heavy, heavy truck traffic on this stretch as well.

Nick's in Carlisle, AR is a good place to get some grub.

Construction from Little Rock west to Conway and construction through Russellville. Highway 64 parallels the interstate from just west of Conway to Alma (almost the state line). You shouldn't need to detour for very many miles if at all. Just know that there are alternate routes. Follow the trucks, especially if you see many taking the same exit. This is especially true between Memphis and Little Rock.

Bammamate is in Conway and I'm in Russellville.

Have a safe return,
Mike

As I have noted, math and I are not on speaking terms.... but...

1000 / 60 = 16.6

it seemed safe to round 16.6 to 17. Did I do something wrong in the calculation?

No, but when thinking in terms of average speed over a given distance it is important to go ahead and include time spent at zero....the gas stops....in order to have a more realistic and useful idea what sort of actual average speed you need to aim at maintaining while flying down the road.

It can take a surprisingly good bit of high speed over quite a bit of time/distance to try to recover lost minutes, so the best policy is not to lose any to begin with. Casey Jones got himself killed trying to make up lost minutes.

If things are backed up on I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock, highway 70 parallels the interstate just to the south to Little Rock. Be aware of heavy, heavy truck traffic on this stretch as well.

Nick's in Carlisle, AR is a good place to get some grub.

Construction from Little Rock west to Conway and construction through Russellville. Highway 64 parallels the interstate from just west of Conway to Alma (almost the state line). You shouldn't need to detour for very many miles if at all. Just know that there are alternate routes. Follow the trucks, especially if you see many taking the same exit. This is especially true between Memphis and Little Rock.

Bammamate is in Conway and I'm in Russellville.

Have a safe return,
Mike
My GPS has a means of choosing an "alternate" route, but it doesn't take actual traffic into account. I think it just chooses the 2nd best route it discovered when calculating the first.
Following the trucks is good idea! Thank you for that.

This is a portion of the route I just took this weekend. I-75 into Atlanta can get pretty crazy where it intersects with I-20. I think there may have been some condtruction there too. Can anyone validate that? I just drove through there Sunday. I was crawlingvat 20mph.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
You passed 30 miles from me without stopping to sat hello? :confused:

It doesn't seem like much.....only 158 miles but that's about 2 hours 22 minutes longer. On a CC that takes an average of 46 to 48 hours on the shorter southerly route of I-10 2:22 is time I'm not sure I would have to spare.

I'm glad to see you posting again.

If things are backed up on I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock, highway 70 parallels the interstate just to the south to Little Rock. Be aware of heavy, heavy truck traffic on this stretch

I-40 has two seperate construction zones between Memphis and Little Rock. One of them is the type where the opposite traveling traffic crosses to your side and you are narrowed down to one lane with cement barriers on both sides of you. Speed limit is 60mph but dependant on time of day can turn to a stand still. I've been stuck there 45 minutes on several occasions.

I've ridden HWY70 many times. Speed limit is 55mph and you end up going through several small towns which requires you to slowdown to 35mph at times. The road itself is in bad shape. Lots of uneven spots with groves. Large trucks travel it at times.

Just wanted to throw that out there. I live miles from Little Rock.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Back