• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Strange noise in engine...

I would imagine they can rev up/down if the gear selector button is put in "Neutral" though, right?

Nope, can't go to neutral on my DCT until a few seconds after I come to a complete stop. I tried it a couple times just to make sure. Of course, you can rev it in neutral sitting still.

Last edited:
Nope, can't go to neutral on my DCT until a few seconds after I come to a complete stop. I tried it a couple times just to make sure. Of course, you can rev it in neutral sitting still.

Actually, that's what I meant really; doing it at a stop. But now that you mention it, it wouldn't have ocurred to me that you couldn't do it while in motion. :D

For the purpose of a noise diagnosis, it would be helpful to see if the sound matched the bike reving while stopped, in order to try and discount the rolling noise potential of the drive chain/clutch/wheels, etc.

It was the chain.... it was decrepit... but, for what it's worth, I had 18,ooo miles on the stock chain (not well maintained) and both of the sprockets look brand new...

So, as far as crappy stock chains, mine was just the opposite..... The mechanic was actually impressed that it was the stock chain...
Just picked her up today, and she's riding smoother than ever...
:)

It was the chain.... it was decrepit... but, for what it's worth, I had 18,ooo miles on the stock chain (not well maintained) and both of the sprockets look brand new...

So, as far as crappy stock chains, mine was just the opposite..... The mechanic was actually impressed that it was the stock chain...
Just picked her up today, and she's riding smoother than ever...
:)

Yaaay! Glad that's all it was, and such a cheap/easy solution :D

That's far more mileage than I've ever got out of a chain. Stock, or deathly expensive aftermarket quality one, regardless!

Yaaay! Glad that's all it was, and such a cheap/easy solution :D

That's far more mileage than I've ever got out of a chain. Stock, or deathly expensive aftermarket quality one, regardless!

Glad it was something simple. I hope my chain comes close to making it that long.

Im having a similar noise issue, I think. I am wondering if it is the chain. I'm at 18k, and not the best at chain maintenance.

Its a "clack" noise that keeps sounding when I rev or let go of the throttle….. clack,clack,clack. Sound speeds up as I speed up, slows as I slow…..

The noise I'm tlaking is just one loud CLACK at the moment I give gas when stopped on neutral without touching the clutch. Sometimes it makes it, others not. Went to the mech but yes, allways when you want the thing to help you not making a fool out of yourself, it doesn't produce the noise.

The mech took it for a ride a told me it's fine. I will follow it closely and take a deeper look in a thread about valve adjustment here in this forum to try to understand if it might have something to do with it.

The noise I'm tlaking is just one loud CLACK at the moment I give gas when stopped on neutral without touching the clutch. Sometimes it makes it, others not. Went to the mech but yes, allways when you want the thing to help you not making a fool out of yourself, it doesn't produce the noise.

The mech took it for a ride a told me it's fine. I will follow it closely and take a deeper look in a thread about valve adjustment here in this forum to try to understand if it might have something to do with it.

Sorry to hear yours hasn't been resolved yet :(

Could it possibly be the spring return of the cable spool, down on the left of the engine? Where the push-pull of the throttle cables attach to the throttle body?

If your bike is off, no engine running, and you quickly open or let the throttle grip snap shut, do you hear a clack noise coming from down there?

Don't despair man, keep at it :D

Back