• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Strange behaviour on 6th gear

Markino

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
I'm getting a strange behaviour while using the bike in 6th gear: riding around 3000rpm (around 90km/h) the bike make some kind of vibration noise... if I rev it up it disappear reaching 100/110km/h or if I put the 5th gear.
After some times/kms it disappear at all so I'm thinking: is it possible that the it comes up only when the motor is cold? Why?

Second problem: riding the bike it seems that we can put the 6th gear at very low speed/rpm but I feel the motor doesn't ride well as the other gears... how the DTC use the 6th gear? It's seems to me that the 6th gear is ok only riding up the 120km/h.

Hi guys,I'm getting a strange behaviour while using the bike in 6th gear: riding around 3000rpm (around 90km/h) the bike make some kind of vibration noise... if I rev it up it disappear reaching 100/110km/h or if I put the 5th gear.After some times/kms it disappear at all so I'm thinking: is it possible that the it comes up only when the motor is cold? Why? Second problem: riding the bike it seems that we can put the 6th gear at very low speed/rpm but I feel the motor doesn't ride well as the other gears... how the DTC use the 6th gear? It's seems to me that the 6th gear is ok only riding up the 120km/h.
Hi sir, 1.There are many riders here, can you indicate in your side avatar area, which model do you have ? DCT?2. The vibrating noise, could it be engine lugging (meaning running a higher gear when a lower gear is prefered by the motor gearing)3. If it is a DCT, then you may want to check it out, coz it should be smooth and automatic.Good luck!

Last edited:
This has been (and is being) widely discussed here. The best advise seems to be to stay out of 6th gear below about 100 km/h unless the engine is very lightly loaded. It is a significant level of overdrive and is good for cruising economy, but not just as another gear around town. There will be less strain on the engine and less mental anguish on the rider. Yes, the engine will run in 6th without damage at low speeds, but everything than can be done is not best to be done. Perhaps Honda would have gotten a better result with less primary reduction, lower gearbox ratios, and a final gear closer to unity, but they did not. Maybe, maybe, maybe... They may do something different in future years, but I expect that what we have is what we have. It is a shame for our DCT friends that 6th cannot be locked out like the overdrive on a car.

I remember a similar thing with the old BMW R100's. Theirs was not an overdrive issue, they were just geared so high that the engine was not happy there unless the speeds were over about 110 km/h or so. To put yourself in the place of the engine, think about riding a 10-speed bicycle at low speeds in the tallest gear. The feet are moving slow and the bike is moving slow, but it takes a lot of push on the pedals. Drop in down a gear and the feet speed up but it gets easier to pedal - i.e.: less strain and you are more comfortable. Make your engine comfortable. You will still be well within the comfortable rev range of the motor.

This has been (and is being) widely discussed here. The best advise seems to be to stay out of 6th gear below about 100 km/h unless the engine is very lightly loaded. It is a significant level of overdrive and is good for cruising economy, but not just as another gear around town. There will be less strain on the engine and less mental anguish on the rider. Yes, the engine will run in 6th without damage at low speeds, but everything than can be done is not best to be done. Perhaps Honda would have gotten a better result with less primary reduction, lower gearbox ratios, and a final gear closer to unity, but they did not. Maybe, maybe, maybe... They may do something different in future years, but I expect that what we have is what we have. It is a shame for our DCT friends that 6th cannot be locked out like the overdrive on a car.

I remember a similar thing with the old BMW R100's. Theirs was not an overdrive issue, they were just geared so high that the engine was not happy there unless the speeds were over about 110 km/h or so. To put yourself in the place of the engine, think about riding a 10-speed bicycle at low speeds in the tallest gear. The feet are moving slow and the bike is moving slow, but it takes a lot of push on the pedals. Drop in down a gear and the feet speed up but it gets easier to pedal - i.e.: less strain and you are more comfortable. Make your engine comfortable. You will still be well within the comfortable rev range of the motor.

100 km/h = ? MPH

Do you ASSume that all of the NC700X owners in the USA know this conversion?

Convert Kilometers per Hour to Miles Per Hour / kph to mph
www.militaryfactory.com/conversioncalculators/speed_kmh_to_mph...

62 mph

Last edited:
Do you ASSume that all of the NC700X owners in the USA know this conversion?

I don't ASSume anything Bob. I was having a discussion with one person from Singapore and another from Switzerland. Do you ASSume that THEY know this conversion? I figure they do, but I was saving them the math as a courtesy.

America is moving towards the metric system inch by inch. Lead or follow.

Where are you all putting your feet when they are not on the pegs????? :confused:

I am usually holding them up in the air, as long as they are not contacting the pegs, it is really strange to see or feel the vibrations vanish when you lift them off the pegs. when you feel the vibrations (thrum thrum), you lift you feet and see them vanish... other things don't seem to work... oh well, hope others will find out why.
phipun

I don't ASSume anything Bob. I was having a discussion with one person from Singapore and another from Switzerland. Do you ASSume that THEY know this conversion? I figure they do, but I was saving them the math as a courtesy.

It has nothing to do with lead or follow. It is about common courtesy to others here in the good old US of A that are reading the post.

cour·te·sy/ˈkərtəsē/
Noun:
The showing of politeness in one's attitude and behavior toward others.
A polite speech or action, esp. one required by convention.

get-out-of-the-way.jpg

Last edited:
I was just replying so the OP would have a link to another discussion of weirdness at or near 3k rpms, and vibrations thereof. I was just trying to be helpful, I was just adding to conversation that the original poster started with a new thread.... does it matter weather in mph or kmh ? I just usually use the online calculator to transfer numbers when I need them to clarify for my own information. and really, my post with the link might not gain him as much, as the OP stated his issues seem to disappear when it warms up, but maybe with lots of help , the OP can not only figure his situation out, but help some of us others with slightly differing issues to gain new insight into their issues.

I am lucky to have found this forum, cause you folks have so much knoweledge on bikes, you folks inspire me.

hope I get to understand my bike better. someone stated that, maybe on this forum, best stress relief is taking a ride for a bit. they were not kidding.

phipun

maybe you be moving towards it cm by cm :)
In the UK signs for the distance to temporary speed restictions or lane closures are now usually posted in metres which is I guess a move towards the use of metric system

maybe you be moving towards it cm by cm :)
In the UK signs for the distance to temporary speed restictions or lane closures are now usually posted in metres which is I guess a move towards the use of metric system

Been there done that Rocker66.

Okinawa, Guam, Philippines, Sicily, Spain, Greece, Crete.

recruitingposter50871.jpg1283787052KCF76x.jpg $(KGrHqEOKi8E5fYbpcNPBOio!RVm(!~~60_57.jpg

Last edited:
Back