• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stop on a hill question

robnpat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I need some advice. I can't put my whole foot on the ground, but can do just fine with 1/2 of my foot touching the ground. This is just fine for flat ground, but where I work there are some nice hills with stop lights. How is the best way to approach this without tipping over or causing a backup of traffic because I can't stabilize my bike enough to start moving. Any wise advice from you guys would be appreciated.

Ok, I need some advice. I can't put my whole foot on the ground, but can do just fine with 1/2 of my foot touching the ground. This is just fine for flat ground, but where I work there are some nice hills with stop lights. How is the best way to approach this without tipping over or causing a backup of traffic because I can't stabilize my bike enough to start moving. Any wise advice from you guys would be appreciated.

One foot flat is better than two feet tippy. Two wheels and a foot are a stable tripod. That is why the sidestand works. Put it into first gear before you stop. Put your left foot fully down as you stop even if you have to slide slightly off the center of the seat. This leaves your right foot to hold the brake as a hill-holder. As you take off, push up with the ball of your left foot (kind of like a jumping motion) and hook the bars a little left and that will bring the bike back up to center. Sounds harder than it is.

Watch this guy for inspiration...

[video=youtube;kRFyw57o_Ic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic[/video]

ETA: I just noticed in the video that you can see him hook the bars left when he first starts out. No-one is as smart as someone who agrees with you. So, I guess this fella is pretty smart in my book. I love his salute and exit.

Last edited:
I think my wife would kill me if she saw me do that ;)

I'm going to have to find a hill to practice on that doesn't have traffic. Too bad they didn't teach something like this during BRC

I saw once, a rider with a tall Race prep KTM, and he got off the bike whenever he stopped at a stoplight.
Extreme times call for extreme measures! Buy some thick soled boots?

If you are really struggling you could consider doing what I have done which is to have the seat altered to make it slightly lower. This has helped considerably. I had a gel pad inserted at the same time

Where would I get the seat altered? I don't think my Honda dealer would be able to do that. Maybe I will ask him

Back