• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Quick 2023 NC750XD Review

Cirrusly

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 68 years old and I've been riding motorcycles for most of my life. I've ridden everything from a Honda 70 minibike and Kawasaki 90 when I was 15, to a Goldwing (which I still have), and everything in between . I ordered this NC last August, and FINALLY received it a couple of weeks ago. I won't go into all the reasons that I decided to purchase the NC, but I'll give you a quick recap of my initial impressions Spoiler alert.... I LOVE IT!

• The DCT transmission is awesome. I wasn't sure that I'd like an "automatic" transmission or not, but I do. I'm very happy with my decision to go with the DCT.

• The bike is very easy to maneuver, both at low speed, and to move around manually. Every stop was one foot down gently, or no foot down at all for a quick "stop-n-go".

I have installed the center stand and it takes about 1/3 of the effort to get the NC on the stand as it does for my Goldwing, and probably 1/2 the effort as it took for my Yamaha Tracer 900GT. Both of course are heavier bikes, but that's the point.... I wanted something lighter and easier to handle!

• It is very smooth. At some point I may use this as my touring bike instead of the Wing. I certainly won't be doing any 1,000 mile days on the NC as I have on the Wing, but for the type of touring that I do now I think it will be just fine!

• The seat isn't terrible, but it will probably have to be replaced. I expected that. I rode 100 miles non-stop today and it was tolerable. I stood up multiple times to relieve the pressure. I've had (many) worse seats and I understood going in that I may have to replace the seat.

• The suspension was built to a budget, and I also understood this going in. I have the HyperPro adjustable shock and progressive fork springs ordered and I'm sure this will make a discernible difference.

• I've installed the Honda center stand, Puig touring windscreen, Givi engine guards, Givi side stand foot, LED driving lights, Honda USB outlet, Rowe PDM60 power distribution module, Evotech radiator guard, dual mount BarkBuster hand guards and a Garmin XT GPS mount with the Bruunt center center handlebar mount. The Honda foglight switch is on order and should be here soon. I'm not a big fan of removing and reinstalling the plastic bits on the bike but I understand their advantages.
So much for a "quick" review! The bottom line is the NC is everything that I hoped it would be and even more. I'm very, very pleased and.... I can't believe I'm saying this.... it was worth the 6 month wait! I'm grateful for all of the advice and reviews here on the forum, and I hope this helps someone as the other posts have helped me!

Steve

I too am 68 and less than a year ago traded my Goldwing in for a 2022 NC750X DCT. For the kind of riding I do, the NC is a much better bike and I enjoy riding every chance I get. Have not added the same things you did. I went with a Givi screen (about the same as the Puig), Oxford hearted grips, SW Motech pegs, Shad top case, Bar Back Risers and a custom seat from Seth Laam. In a box in my garage waiting on me to install is a radiator guard, fork protection and an extended front fender.

You have all the accessories I want but don't have the space or experience to install haha. My dealer wanted $800 to buy and install just the crashbars.

Do update on the suspension.

<snip>
  • The suspension was built to a budget, and I also understood this going in. I have the HyperPro adjustable shock and progressive fork springs ordered and I'm sure this will make a discernible difference. <snip>
Welcome to the forum, and I’m happy that you’re pleased with the NC. Searching for suspension improvements is often a big topic here. I’m curious what progressive fork springs you chose to replace the OEM progressive fork springs. Are you trying to go stiffer or softer for a specific handling goal, or just match them to your weight?

I bought the fork springs and shock based on the recommendation of Chris Moss in this interview (skip to 11:20 for the suspension part).

As you know there is a very limited selection of fork cartridges for the latest generation. I spoke with Bryan Font at EPM Performance and ordered both the adjustable shock and fork spring based on my weight, riding style, luggage weight, pillion, etc. Hopefully it will improve what I perceive to be a very mediocre / budget suspension setup. Based on what I'd read, and given the very reasonable price of the bike I was already planning on having to upgrade it, and the first 50 miles confirmed it for me.

I have my doubts that just a better fork spring is going to dramatically improve the front end, but it's a relatively inexpensive upgrade ($159 USD) so if it doesn't I'll continue my search! Ohlins, Andreani US, and Cogent Dynamics are all within 30 minutes of where I live here in Western North Carolina so you'd think I could find something!! :)

Steve

You have all the accessories I want but don't have the space or experience to install haha. My dealer wanted $800 to buy and install just the crashbars.

Do update on the suspension.
I bought the Givi TNH1192 upper engine guards to protect primarily the radiator, and to give me a place to mount the LED lights. They were $221 USD including tax. The best price I found was on eBay (brand new, in the box) from a dealer located nearby that offered free shipping. I got them the next day after I placed my order.

Installation was simple once I figured out that the pictures in the instructions of the brackets were from an older version. Other than that it was a very easy installation.

I will be having someone with FAR more expertise than I have install the suspension components!

Steve

Glad you are enjoying your new bike. They are really nice machines. The DCT trans is a revelation, and even more enjoyable the longer you live with it. I'd probably disagree with the "smooth" comment as the 270 degree engine is designed to throb, which mine certainly does. Some enjoy it, I find it annoying, but have learned to live with it. The lightweight feeling, the gas mileage and built in storage are all nice attributes. I agree it is very easy to get on the centerstand. The seat is OK, certainly not the worst I have ridden on. I'll live with it. The suspension is typical oem suspension. I mean how can a mfg set up suspension suitable for a 130 pound "canyon carver", a 220 lb commuter, and a 380 pound couple who want to tour a little bit? Impossible. At 185 pounds solo rider, I guess I am close to what the bike was designed for. I wish the suspension were a little more compliant, but I'm not spending a bunch of money experimenting. Another thing I'll live with lol. I did replace the oem windshield with (2) a Givi touring screen for winter and trips, and a stock shield cut down 5" for summer. I also added the Oxford heated grips. I went with a T Rex luggage rack for holding my tail bag for travelling. Other than that I made a Frunk knob, and added a small digital ambient temp gauge.

Have 25,000 miles on my 21 DCT now and don't see it leaving the stable anytime soon.

I bought the Givi TNH1192 upper engine guards to protect primarily the radiator, and to give me a place to mount the LED lights. They were $221 USD including tax. The best price I found was on eBay (brand new, in the box) from a dealer located nearby that offered free shipping. I got them the next day after I placed my order.

Installation was simple once I figured out that the pictures in the instructions of the brackets were from an older version. Other than that it was a very easy installation.

I will be having someone with FAR more expertise than I have install the suspension components!

Steve
I think I'd pay Rick a visit at Cogent.

I agree completely on the suspension, especially on a bike in this price range. Cutting down the stock screen for summer riding is a great idea!

Thanks,

Steve
Cut down stock shield for summer

FlEaUFMh.jpg

FA6UfuLh.jpg

I bought the fork springs and shock based on the recommendation of Chris Moss in this interview (skip to 11:20 for the suspension part).

As you know there is a very limited selection of fork cartridges for the latest generation. I spoke with Bryan Font at EPM Performance and ordered both the adjustable shock and fork spring based on my weight, riding style, luggage weight, pillion, etc. Hopefully it will improve what I perceive to be a very mediocre / budget suspension setup. Based on what I'd read, and given the very reasonable price of the bike I was already planning on having to upgrade it, and the first 50 miles confirmed it for me.

I have my doubts that just a better fork spring is going to dramatically improve the front end, but it's a relatively inexpensive upgrade ($159 USD) so if it doesn't I'll continue my search! Ohlins, Andreani US, and Cogent Dynamics are all within 30 minutes of where I live here in Western North Carolina so you'd think I could find something!! :)

Steve
I think you’re going to be very pleased with the Hyperpro shocks.

I think I'd pay Rick a visit at Cogent.
I spoke with Todd at Cogent. I was hoping that they'd be able to provide the shock and cartridges for the forks and do the installation. They didn't have the cartridges for the front, the shock was a 6 week lead time item, and they don't do any installations anymore. I have heard nothing but good things about them though!

Thanks!

Hi I had the Hyperpro spring kit (front & rear springs only) fitted last Summer and am really pleased . It improved the harsh front suspension and made the rear firm but not harsh. Cost fitted €550, a bargain. I rode 3000k in 2 weeks last April with 400k days without too much discomfort on the OE seat, I suggest you run it in before changing. I fitted Sw Motech crashbars but was disappointed that the DCT oil filter cover touches down if it tips over, mine is scratched from tip overs. I have a fitted Sw Motech Street rack, Barkbusters with led lights, Denali mini horn, Shad Tr48 topbox, Eastern Beaver P8 fusebox , pyramid fender extender & hugger, my last farkle is a set of foot spoilers . I just found another few must haves from Puig , engine case protectors, lights, footrests and windshield spoiler. Will farkling ever end? I am old enough to know better, but what the hell. Happy riding and farkling to all.
2021 DCT.

Back