• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stock rear tire

DooDah

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it just me or does everyone get about 3000 miles on the stock rear tire ? I am in the market for a new one any suggestions ? All road riding .

Last edited:
Stock tire (the Dunlop anyway) sux and I got about 4K on mine.

I love the Pilot Road 4. In about 14K+ miles I've ridden maybe 100 off the asphalt, so I wanted a great road tire with the best wet road grip. That's the PR4.

Many threads on this subject with many good opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just about to change my PR4. Good tire, got 12,000km out of it. 90% slab 10% gravel about 5,000km loaded for touring.
I'm going to try a Bridgestone T30. Expect similar performance at a bit lower cost.

I'm just about to change my PR4. Good tire, got 12,000km out of it. 90% slab 10% gravel about 5,000km loaded for touring.
I'm going to try a Bridgestone T30. Expect similar performance at a bit lower cost.

If you see a deal on a Bridgestone BT023 you might want to consider it. I just looked at Fortnine where they are the same price as the T30, hmm, should be cheaper? At the same price I'm with you on the T30.

The ST13 BS-020 OEM part numbered tire had an additional 'F' stamping and a little more tread thus more life.
I'm into my 3rd set at 8K miles. I bought the BS-023 OEM part numbered tire with the 'F' stamping.
Correct tire pressure is critical 42/36.

i only got 2800 out of my stock tire. all pavement no gravel except for my driveway. i should have replaced it at 2500. i have over 4500 on my new pr4 rear tire now and its starting to show a little wear in the center, it does ride very good. just got a new one for the front, will change it out first chance i get.

Stock rear tire varies with model year, and usually there is a (random) choice of two different tires that might be supplied for a given model year. However since you got short life you must be talking about the Dunlop Trailmax.

If you see a deal on a Bridgestone BT023 you might want to consider it. I just looked at Fortnine where they are the same price as the T30, hmm, should be cheaper? At the same price I'm with you on the T30.

One thing I found odd when purchasing the T30. For the front I had to order the gt version to get the proper weight range specified for the bike.
So I'm going to run a mix of the standard T30 on the rear and the gt on the front. I don't like to mix things that are designed to work together. I always replace tires on my road bike as a pair. Will be interesting.

I have a 2014 with the original Dunlop Trailmax tires and they are still going strong at 6100 miles. I'd guess good for another 2500 - 3000 miles.

Pete's Superbike has the BT023 at $28 less than the T30Evo (both sets less than $300 Cad after taxes).

Last edited:
I have a 2014 with the original Dunlop Trailmax tires and they are still going strong at 6100 miles. I'd guess good for another 2500 - 3000 miles.

MY 2015 has 5500 and still not to the wear bars, think I can make it to 7k. Hardly any highway, don't understand how people are blowing through them that quick.

Besides riding styles/predilections, road surfaces and temperatures play into what one might get out of a tire model -- and perhaps even individual tire samples or at least manufacturing batches, if a company has changed something in between batches or has uneven manufacturing or QA procedures.

Here, the pavement is often pretty hard on tires, as a ferinstance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on my 3rd Pilot Road 4, got 15,000km on the first on and 16,000km (10,000miles) on the second one (Rear). Front tires I get approx.20,000km on the PR4s. I ride quite hard (commuting with some twisties) and weigh in at 125kg (275lbs). :)

Hardly any highway, don't understand how people are blowing through them that quick.

What green boy said......
Same way some get 7000 miles on brake pads while other can get 25,000 miles on the exact same pads...........riding style and road conditions.

Last edited:
I am on my 3rd Pilot Road 4, got 15,000km on the first on and 16,000km (10,000miles) on the second one (Rear). Front tires I get approx.20,000km on the PR4s. I ride quite hard (commuting with some twisties) and weigh in at 125kg (275lbs). :)

I think riding style (speed) and outside air temp play a big role in tire wear. I get better mileage than most on brakes, clutches, chains and sprockets but not tires. Both on my nc and other bikes. Speed when its hot out is big. It really seems to change if you spend a fair bit of time faster the 100k.
The Dunlop that came on the bike lasted 3000km.
My PR4's were done in 12,000 km. Rear center groves (where the wear bars are) completely gone and the front just coming in to the wear bars.

Last edited:
Correct: 42 PSI rear 36 PSI front.
To clarify my post any BS tire from an after market retailer will not have the 'F' stamping and will have shorter tire life.

Correct: 42 PSI rear 36 PSI front.
To clarify my post any BS tire from an after market retailer will not have the 'F' stamping and will have shorter tire life.
I think you mean "G" stamping. OEM 023s are G models. Front 023 tires are marked 023F and the rears are 023R - oddly enough.

Back