• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sprocket Swap?

[...the extra 3 or 4 lb ft of torque should make all the difference in the world....]

Wow...you can be one of those crazies doing wheelies on the interstate at 70 mph! :)

Perfect diatribe. My previous bikes were a Honda MB5, Kawasaki KZ440LTD (Belt Driven), Honda Nighthawk 750, and a BMW K1200GT. Except for the Nighthawk, these bikes were very unique and I never really compared them because they were all designed for different purposes. The NCX DCT is awesomely unique. Except for making it more comfortable and adding protection for important components, the bike doesn't need changes for how it was designed to perform. It does a lot of things great, but nothing spectacular. That's exactly what I was looking for. It's not the bike for you if you want it to do much more. I think I will eventually move on to the Crosstour with the DCT, but I will be on my NCX as long as it brings great pleasure riding in the city (suburbia), twisty country and mountain roads, and even the freeway. I also think this bike was directed at Europe, Asia etc. It came to the US more as an experiment. Not sure if Honda is pleased with it's performance here, but I don't think they had high expectations. I think this bike will disappear from the Honda Line in the US in about 3 years as a result of it's limited success. However, it's a milestone bike for Honda and it allowed them to fully prove the DCT concept. Unlike the Honda Automatic bikes of the 70's, the DCT is here to stay and will be available across most of the Honda line in the future. Peace out.

So, here's my take. I like all the comments, all usefull. My last bike was an FZ6, loved everything about it, however, I developed a problem with my left hand that made clutching pretty painful, and the DCT looked like the solution. I also thought I'd be able to get off road A bit better (dirt and fire roads) with the NC. What I believe now is that the NC is a modern day take of the old UJM, and a very good version at that. I'm 66 this year, been riding over 40 years. Had everything from an H2, XS11, V65 Sabre (still have that one) and many others over the years. I don't need the NC to be any faster or quicker, I have the V65 for that nonsense. I just would like a little more tourque, is that so much to ask? Now, Honda has done this sort of thing in the past. I also have a 82 GL500, This is a cool back road ride, with all the bells and whistles. It didn't sell well in it's day, and I believe Honda realized their mistake and bumped the cc's up to 650 in it's last year of production. That extra 150 was just what it needed to make it interstate friendly. Alas, it was too late, people had an image of it being too slow, so off it went. Big companies make mistakes like anybody else. I also have a 87 Fiero GT. what a fun car! GM tried to make it on the cheap, using X-car and vega parts. They tweaked it every year, trying to improve, but never did what they should have from the start (design a decent suspension and braking and handling package) untill it's last year, 1988. Too late, reputation was out there. I suppose no bike will ever be perfect, and some compromise will always have to be made. The NC is a great bike for the money, perfect for me would have been a TDM850 with a DCT and a shaft drive. Until that is on the market, I'll stick with the NC, and this weekend, I'll change that sprocket.

My NC700X is a manual and I switched to a smaller rear from 43 down to 41. My goal was to lower rpms when going 70-75 mph on the freeway, I commute 60 miles each way on the freeway. It made a small difference but did what I thought it would. Also I thought you couldn't change the sprocket on the DCT?

Much like rippin209, I went down some teeth on the rear sprocket, to a 39. While I was happy with the throttle response and pulling away from a stop with stock gearing, my trolling to and from my favourite riding roads put the rpm into a place where the engine thrummed and i didn't like it.

I buy pants from a men's clothier to fit my waist, and have them tailored to suit my particular inseam and for which side I dress. I note that pants can be tailored to fit taller and shorter men than me.

Motorcycles, they can be geared or equipped for different riders and their differing preferences. I'm prepared to sacrifice the 'first gear trolling along in a parking lot,' having to slip the clutch occasionally for my preference of the rpm range in 5th and 6th gear (I too ride a standard transmission) where I spend much more time.

In fact, I have a 45 tooth rear waiting to replace the 43 for use at my next chain replacement. I don't like the way the engine feels at low revs under load. If you decide to do this, I have a 43 tooth sprocket in good shape that you can have for postage. As 670cc says, you'll have to solve the chain length riddle though because you will need to increase the chain from 112 to 114 links.

Hi Beemerphile. What brand of sprocket did you get with 45 teeth??

Cheers - Ron

I replaced my OE sprockets and chain on my 2013 DCT when I replaced my (4th) rear tire at 22,000 miles. I used 16/43 sprockets. I also used a 160/70 (Commander II) tire.
The transmission seemed to shift at the same MPH/RPM points as before, much to my surprise. Before the sprocket change, my speedo was spot on according to my GPS. Now the GPS shows 2 MPH less than the speedo. At 27,000 miles the only performance change I notice is that I average 70 mpg now, compared to 62 mpg before the change.

BEAN

Check this site out: Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator

You can load various sprocket sizes and see what their effect is.

Probably not a bad idea to put in a 40T sprocket instead of 39T on the DCT if you upgrade your tire to something larger than the stock 160/60 (say 160/70 or 150/70), a bit more torque for a bit larger radius tire and still keeps the speedometer accurate.

I don't completely trust that dimensions are consistent across tire manufacturers, (like shoes), so I'd actually break out some string and measure the circumference of both the stock and new tire to know for sure though.

diameter gives you circumference. tires definitely vary for the same sizes between models. but just getting somewhat accurate measurements yields good results with Gearing Commander. even a measured tire diameter varies with pressure, temperature, speed, latter wear, etc...

Probably not a bad idea to put in a 40T sprocket instead of 39T on the DCT if you upgrade your tire to something larger than the stock 160/60 (say 160/70 or 150/70), a bit more torque for a bit larger radius tire and still keeps the speedometer accurate.
With my DCT, I'm currently running 41/16 with my 150/70 705. Couldn't find a JT 40T on Amazon in the 525 size I upgraded to.

Ray

That's not too bad, only 3 mph off at top speed. What 525 sprockets are you using?
JT Sprockets JTR1304.41 41T Steel Rear Sprocket and JT Sprockets JTF297.16 16T Steel Front Sprocket. JT sprockets seem to last fine, not like their chains which are worst than rubber bands, I use D.I.D. chains, currently this one, D.I.D 525 ZVM-X Super Street Series Chain - 130 Links - Gold.

Ray

Great. Let us know if the DCT's brain tosses its cookies when it gets lied to about how fast it is going. I have a speedo healer to use with mine, but it is no DCT.

Hi Beemerphile, my Speedo Healer has just arrived. I see the where the speed sensor comes out of the top of the crankcase and then the wiring disappears into the wiring harness. Pulling the bodywork off is a real pain on these things. Can you please advise where the plug is to connect the Speedo Healer?

Thanks - Ron

All good - found it! The speed sensor on the top rear of the crankcase has a little rubber waterproof boot on the connector. Once the boot is peeled back the connector can be unplugged and the speedo healer connected. Once I worked that out only takes a few minutes to have the speedo healer connected and working. Easy.

The dct model has three speed sensors, one on main shaft and two on counter shaft. I have tried to work around them but have not been able to get a speedo healer to work. corrects speedo but will not shift correctly. Dale

Back