• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Spoke wheels?

Erok

Reaction score
Visit site
Another question. Been thinking about buying a set of spoke wheels or 2nd set of cast wheels(way too expensive) for the bike to mount dirt tires on. I ride a lot of miles on my commute and wanted a 2nd set of wheels with dirt tires mounted to easily swap out instead of breaking beads and swapping tires those time I want to hit the trails.

Any body know of any direct fir spoke wheels or???

Considering the brake disc doesn't really bolt to the hub on the factory wheels, I think you'll find it difficult getting a set of spoke wheels. At least on the front anyway.

I would bet that by time you bought rims, spokes, found a set of donor hubs that would work, adapted the axles, bearings, sprocket and brakes, that a set of cast hubs would start looking pretty cheap.

Very costly, give you idea of what a 125cc wheel cost. This does not include rotor.

Wheel.jpg

You would want a 21", so lot more than this! Cost is the reason you won't see too many NC700 with spokes.

Last edited:
Another question. Been thinking about buying a set of spoke wheels or 2nd set of cast wheels(way too expensive) for the bike to mount dirt tires on. I ride a lot of miles on my commute and wanted a 2nd set of wheels with dirt tires mounted to easily swap out instead of breaking beads and swapping tires those time I want to hit the trails.

Any body know of any direct fir spoke wheels or???

why would spokes be better than cast aluminum for dirt?

My wheels took the licking and kept of ticking. The brace under the instrument panel that also holds the windshield is made of what appears to be some type of aluminum pewter. Obviously different metal mixture content in the wheel pewter and the brace pewter. That brace and my shoulder exploited on impact. Neither of those two parts made it in one piece to the ground. I wish both of those parts had been made of stainless steel.

Last edited:
I have a set of 17" supermoto spoked wheels from a Suzuki DRZ400SM that I converted to dirt use. Does anyone think those wheels would fit on a NC700X? The rotors appear to be the same size. I'm guessing the hubs would be a problem. I would run a set of Continental TKCs with heavy duty tubes. Might be a perfect solution for those times when I know I will be going on USFS roads.

You still have to deal with the front disc. The only way I've been able to figure a way to go at least to a 19" is changing the forks out, which means changing the caliper out and most likely the triple trees which then creates another can of worms.

Oh right. Maybe I should have looked at the disc placement on the fork first. It might be possible to use spoked wheels though with the existing fork.

There is another thread discussing this issue. Woody's in Denver wants to try and build a set of spoked wheels, but they need a donor bike for a couple of months to make sure the rims will work with the bike. It's not just a matter of lacing up some hubs and rims apparently. I would give them my bike for the next few months, but it's too late in the season to ride it across the Rockies. Also Woody's told me I could expect to pay $1800 or so for a custom set of spoked wheels. Expensive, but cheap insurance against sitting on the side of the road in Kazakhstan for a week.

I was recently convinced about the necessity of getting spoked wheels for a trip across very remote areas by a post on ADV rider. A rider with a Vstrom with cast wheels hit a pothole (in Kazakhstan) and chipped his wheel. The tubeless tire kept going flat. The rider had made 2 mistakes. He only had an electrical inflation system and he didn't have a tube. He could have put a tube in and gotten back to a big city. A hand pump takes up hardly any room, so I don't understand why anyone wouldn't bother to throw one in for emergencies.

Last edited:
Back