• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So which windscreen

bduffey

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at the numerous posts here concerning after-market windscreens, I was wondering if there is any type of concensus as to which screen/s are actually the 'best' for general use. Most of the riding I do is in the 35-50 mph range, but I am frequently up on the highways.

So is there a 'preferred' screen that doesn't vibrate at speeds, provides some protection to the hands and looks ok on the bike?

Thanks

Bill

The windshield you are looking for will be the one that fits your body size. You want the tip of your nose when sitting on the bike, to be at the top of the windshield. This is what has been recommended for years by all the manufactures for a touring windshield. This way you can look over the windshield, and tuck in behind the windshield. Measure from the top of your head light to a point parallel to the tip of you nose. Then subtract 1 inch for the mounting hardware height, as most are about 1" above the headlight. . That will give you the height of the windshield you need for a touring windshield.

What works perfect for one person will never work perfect for the next fellow. We are all different. I am short, fat, and ugly, but I have a taller than normal upper body. As I don't have much for legs, 29" inseam, no one can ever believe how tall I am. With my tall upper half, I have to have a 22" windshield. This is too tall for most folks. The windshield has to fit you!

[video=youtube;JNazLUctvzI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNazLUctvzI[/video]

Last edited:
After having gone through three different windshields, I finally settled on the Madstad. I would have been money ahead by buying it first, rather than the other shields which I hoped would work for me. Because the Madstad is adjustable, you can custom fit it to your particular needs and application. I like that you can easily change the angle and height as conditions on the road, or seasons of the year change.

I am very pleased with the quality, the customer support and service I received. A little pricey compared to other options, but well worth it to me. As previously posted there is certainly no consensus among us on the which windshield is the best.

I have never seen two judges agree on anything. Yesterday, the supreme court voted 4 to 5. Everyone of them gave a different answer! There has never been a black or a white, it has always been grey.

I'm taking the road less traveled by adapting a National Cycle Deflector DX screen to my NC. Dave and another member have done this previously and have given me a lot of ideas and help. I'll post photos when I'm finished.
Maybe it will be the consensus screen?

I didn't vote in the original poll because that was before I bought my NC. That being said, I don't know how I would vote. I have the Puig, which is a huge improvement over the stock in terms of performance. However, I like the OEM Touring screen better in terms of looks. I bought the Puig because of reviews on this forum. I don't care as much about looks. This is a Swiss Army bike for me. It doesn't have to be pretty.

All that being said, I am enjoying the performance of the Puig. Nice to be able to shoulder check without feeling like my head is going to be snapped off by the wind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just returned my Puig, it didn't work well for me. I'm 5'11 and there was massive turbulence on my helmet, my teeth were vibrating and I got a headache it was so bad. I think I was a few inches shorter it would have been perfect though.

Here are some pics of comparison of the 3 screens which I have had. I am running the Vstream tall touring for winter and Vstream sport touring for summer.

IMG_1027.jpg
V-stream touring (tall touring - clear color) vs. Puig touring

IMG_1030.jpg
VStream vs Stock Honda - height

IMG_1031.jpg
Vstream vs Stock Honda - side

IMG_1035.jpg
Puig Vs Stock Honda

Last edited:
So just ordered the MRA Vario Touring from Twisted Throttle. Got good reviews and I like the idea of being able to change the angle/s between Winter and Summer. Also threw in an order of the Storage Pod from National Cycle.

Now comes the old waiting for delivery game.

I just returned my Puig, it didn't work well for me. I'm 5'11 and there was massive turbulence on my helmet, my teeth were vibrating and I got a headache it was so bad. I think I was a few inches shorter it would have been perfect though.

you should try to make an extension. i've made few and they working great for me for long trips.
regardless to turbulence big screen protect you chest,shoulders from the wind. you will notice a big difference,ridng with anything bigger than stock.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/4533-another-cheap-diy-windshield-extension.html

I used the original Honda accessory. I chose it because I had seen mention from folks about flexing or other screens at speed, from wind deflection. The Honda item is rigidly mounted and provides me with sufficient protection to keep rain and wind blast off my chest. Furthermore I can see over the top of it . From my GL1800 days I have never liked looking through a screen during wet weather.

Maybe you should try a Puig Visor

You should try to make an extension. i've made few and they working great for me for long trips.
regardless to turbulence big screen protect you chest,shoulders from the wind. you will notice a big difference,ridng with anything bigger than stock.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/4533-another-cheap-diy-windshield-extension.html
Maybe you should try a Puig Visor wind deflector if you cannot make one?
Here are some photos and measurements of the Puig Visor.IMG_0149.JPGPUIG15040.jpglookImg.php.jpegex_PUIG15026.jpg

Back