• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Slow speed drop

If you are that worried about recovering your bike, then you should make and carry with you a kit with high quality, lightweight pulleys, carabiners, slings, and 75-100 feet of suitable, non-stretching rope. Everything should be professional/rescue grade.

been there, done that (twice). it's looks nice and easy on vid at that angle. try same angle,but in opposite direction(downwards, like in the picture i draw). took two of us. 200+ lb forest ranger and me(pretty damn fit guy) to lift it up and put it back on the road. and that wasn't really heavy bike

I know what you mean. I dropped my KLR once on a downward slope and man that thing lays flatter than any bike I've ever had. It would have been easier to flip it on it's seat.

Yeah, spinning it on the ground can cause more scratches but when alone it can make the difference of riding out or walking. Lifting the way the video shows with your back to the bike really does help. Even with 2 people lifting both of you can use that method. Keep in mind that scratched plastics or a bent shifter is waaay cheaper than a medical bill.

Lifting the bike uphill is exponentially harder than on flat ground or downhill. If possible it is better to spin the bike around so that you aren’t lifting uphill.

That is a bloody good idea, I'm sure you could get your bike jacket under any vulnerable parts before turning it around gently and not cause any more damage.

Like all good ideas, it's so simple, yet I'd never thought of it. Thanks for sharing Bama. :)

Over here, picking up a dropped 750 is part of the license test for bikes over 400cc. Can't pick it up? You don't get the license.

I myself finally dropped my bike. Boot was wet trying to put it up on center stand as the boot slipped and it fell away from me. I tried to hold it at first but then just let her go. No damage. And I guess being 6'2" and 215 lbs makes it easy to lift the back up the non women way. But for most good support and posture is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I myself finally dropped my bike. Boot was wet trying to put it up on center stand as the boot slipped and it fell away from me. I tried to hold it at first but then just let her go. No damage. And I guess being 6'2" and 215 lbs makes it easy to lift the back up the non women way. But for most good support and posture is key.

That's exactly how I dropped mine the thrid time. A little adrenaline helps pick it up the "non-women" way, too.

I dropped my GL1100 a couple of times. The actual drop was very embarrassing but I didn't worry about looking like a girl when I picked it up. I would rather take a second and do it safely than get excited and throw it on the other side or hurt myself.

adrenaline does help alot. when I was on the ground with the bike, I was so shocked that the adrenaline kicked in and I lifted the bike just like in that video. I remembered that from long time ago.
The only real damage was the scratch on the givi side case and its only scratches. I was really suprised that I did not get MORE scratches. A tad on the mirror, a tad on the dct cover and tad on the sw engine guard.
What I mean by tad, you really can't see the scratches until your right up to it and you got to look really hard. The sw engine guard is originally painted black, so if you scratch it it comes out metal color and it stands out. Later, that same day I just went to home depot (hardware store) and got a can of black spray paint and problem solved. It really did a nice job. Can't see it now.
I was so afraid of bending the brake lever, messing up the aux led lights and messing up the color of the paint. They came out untouched. Weird.... but happy nothing else got damaged.
I keep on looking at the bike during the day light and can't find anymore scratches. Talk about lucky...

for me it was several factors that caused this:
1) thinking about work
2) thinking the bike was on the center stand
3) couldn't see because it was dark out

basically not paying attention of right there and then.... lesson learned. Your not finished riding till you are OFF the bike.

Last edited:
Back