• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Slow speed drop

kjang

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it finally happened. Dropped my bike.
I was at a stop, in the process of dismounting and for some odd reason I lost my balance and drop my bike!
Errrr, picked it back up and inspected in the dark with a flash light.
Minor scrape on the sw engine guard, tiny scrap on the dct cover, tiny scrape of the right side mirror and what took the brunt of the scrape was my givi side case.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear man. I've dropped mine three times but I doubt that makes you feel better. I have had more trouble keep this bike up than any other bike I have owned and I think it is because of the height. I can't flat foot this bike yet I do not want to lower it so I deal with the tip toe issue. Loose gravel on tip toes will get me every time.

She has some character now. Just think of it that way although I know you wanted her to stay pretty for as long as possible.

All in all it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Going to Home Depot and get some black spray paint to paint that little scrape on the sw crash bar. The mirror and dct scrape you can't really tell unless your looking right at it. May just leave the givi side case as is. Battle scar you know.
Just can't believe I did that though. I am usually so darn careful too.

I had a similar experience. In my case it was just the Givi case that got scratched. Mine are V35s so I was able to remove the pieces and plastidip them. I don't know if it will hold up, but for $6 for a can of black it is a lot cheaper than buying new panels. I rode for a year with them scratched before painting.

Thinking of plastic dip a design on the givi side box (e21) to cover up the scratch marks. I will see, if it bugs me enough I will do it.

Lifting that bike from the ground is not fun. I think I tweaked my back !

That's bad news mate. :(

Here's a bit of advice, NEVER buy a Varadero, the most top heaviest bike in the known universe, gravity loves it.

It will squash you into bare molecules if it falls on you.

I've dropped mine so often I quit telling this forum about it every time. Yeah, the height is a problem. It gets overbalanced at slow speeds and its hard to get footing and leverage to keep it upright sometimes.

That's how I brought it back up. I think I need practice doing it though, but not on my bike. Maybe I can practice on that yellow gold wing???

One good thing about the DCT is that you can put the parking brake on first, then as you get it upright you can leave go of the front brake.

I had and still have a major injury form lifting a fully loaded Vstrom. I was riding near Banff AB on a cold and rainy afternoon and I decided to take a break at a road side stop. As soon as I stopped the bike my right foot some gravel and down it went. In a panic I grabbed the bike and bicep curled it back onto it's wheels. I felt pain down my left arm. I got back on the bike in pain and road to a restaurant and discovered my bicep was swollen quite bad. It wasn't until a couple of years later when I was having a MRI for another issue and they discovered that the tendon that runs over top of my humerus bone was torn. Apparently you have two and I tore one off. Strange enough my family doctor didn't recommend surgery because it wasn't affecting my mobility.

Take care when lifting and especially your back. It's one of the hardest thing to repair.

Well numbskull brain me left the d lock on front wheel and did a fast take off ..went flying and helmet saved my head..luckily again no damage except pride little finger and gear selector..just met new girlfriend ,luckily she didn't look back or I would of melted the tarmac. Eeeeeooor . Cant believe the front mudguard didn't crack and glad the calliper is a toughy.

Same technique to raise a GoldWing...

[video=youtube;-8Er4FFEQ8I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Er4FFEQ8I[/video]

been there, done that (twice). it's looks nice and easy on vid at that angle. try same angle,but in opposite direction(downwards, like in the picture i draw). took two of us. 200+ lb forest ranger and me(pretty damn fit guy) to lift it up and put it back on the road. and that wasn't really heavy bike

Attachments

• bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 195
Funny thing about terrain, it changes!
If that Gold Wing could lay as far down as our NC's I believe that guy would have a lot harder time getting it upright.

When my brothers' HD went down, it was in the best of scenarios. Still you'd think the HD guys would know how to upright their bikes. They know everything else.

Here's the real funny about him dropping it. We just had a somewhat heated (more like lukewarm) discussion on my upcoming trip to the Grand Canyon. He said he could go anywhere I could go, but didn't even make it out of my parents gravel driveway!

Last edited:
Lifting the bike uphill is exponentially harder than on flat ground or downhill. If possible it is better to spin the bike around so that you aren’t lifting uphill.

Lifting the bike uphill is exponentially harder than on flat ground or downhill. If possible it is better to spin the bike around so that you aren’t lifting uphill.
Thank you for a tip! in my case, doing spin on gravel (and mud of the side of the road) probably would cause x10 damage that i got from the drop. but i'll keep that in mind.
any other recovery tips from such situation? i should take a pic of it, so others can see where the danger really is :)

Back